Quantcast
Godly Nvidia 1080 preorders. - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Godly Nvidia 1080 preorders.

My Ride
    Grimace

That is a pretty good price, definitely can't build it for that price with all the discounts.

hakk, gimme dat monitor

I must play on ultra settings at all time so I could never even run that

My Ride
    toyotas, mitsu, and a ford

Originally posted by bball2
    If anyone is looking for a prebuilt machine, just ended up buying an Alienware Rig from Dell at what I think is a really good price:

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-a...547-rfdcb-d118

Alienware Aurora R5 Base
    Intel® Core™ i7-6700K Processor (4-Cores, 8MB Cache, Turbo Boost 2.0, Overclocked up to 4.2GHz
    Windows 10 Home 64bit English
    8GB DDR4 at 2133MHz
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 Founders Edition with 8GB GDDR5
    256GB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage)
    Alienware™ 850 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply with High Peformance Liquid Cooling
    Intel® 3165 1x1 802.11ac Wi-Fi Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.2

Will upgrade the ram to 16 or 32gb afterwards, but other than that pretty happy with the setup.

-$400 for sale price
    -$150 using coupon code $150OFF$1699PC
    -$82.50 for EPP discount
    -$166.25 for ebates discount

Came out to just under $1500 before taxes, which is a bit cheaper than getting all the individual components plus the case / power supply design is pretty neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRz-kAQzKx0

I haven't liked alienware in a long time but that is a really good deal. Only thing that concerns me would be that power supply. Not because its not quality but because it looks very proprietary and I'm sure its designed to not take a standard ATX size one and probably is much more expensive than a standard replacement.

Back on topic. I've had my 1080 for awhile now and attempted to overclock it but have had pretty poor results. Stock its a beast and really it doesn't need to be overclocked at this time but I'm a tinkerer and cant leave things be. I'm forcing myself to use Precison xOC instead of afterburner because the XOC software is required to change the LED colours(yet the patterns are changed through the nvidia control panel...WTF evga?)

I'm only able to add 60mhz before i get driver crashing. Even maxing out the voltage I'm only able to get 75mhz which really isn't worth the extra heat.

Anyone else OC a 1080? rather not hear from 1070 owners as they generally will OC a lot more than the 1080s from what I've been reading.

Any interest in my gigabyte windforce 970 before i throw it up on Kijiji?

Recently Purchased a PDP afterglow xbone controller to try out forza 6 and am really impressed with it other than the price.

The good monitors are all $$$ now. I have been looking at the 27" acer predator gsync 1440p and it is still $950. The utlrawide version is 34" and $1700
    and its worth every dollar if you have the hardware to drive it.

Do you know who actually makes the power supply though? Not it's branding, but is it made by Seasonic, Superflower, etc. On a rig like that I would want a top end power supply, otherwise that would add to the cost of having to replace it (unless it's proprietary then you may not be able to replace it).

I still can't decide on a damn video card

Option A) Get GTX 1070 and be done with it, but more expensive

Option B) Get GTX 1060 because 4K, VR, etc. is all still in it's infancy and I may want to upgrade sooner than the usual 4-5 year cycle I go through
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-18-2016 at 04:40 PM.

My Ride
    GTI

Mitsu I'm selling my maxwell titan x right now if you want something between 1060 and 1070 pricing. Closer to 1070 pricing but similar performance.

Originally posted by Hakkola
    Mitsu I'm selling my maxwell titan x right now if you want something between 1060 and 1070 pricing. Closer to 1070 pricing but similar performance.
    I did see that actually, I was intrigued. Would I not be better off with a 1070 though? From what I can see it outperforms the Titan X, is about the same price ($569 for a 1070), and uses a lot less power to boot (My power supply is an EVGA Supernova 650 P2 so I can't go too crazy, but I think my current card uses just as much power haha).

What I do like about the Titan X is the 12GB RAM, since I use plug-ins in Photoshop that use a lot of VRAM, and my current card is bottle-necking me big time there (GTX 560Ti with 1.2GB ram). The only thing I can't figure out before hand is how much it WANTS to use haha. Maybe it only wants 1.3 GB and I would never know

The other thing is that I have a $200 Memory Express gift card, so that makes everything else quite a bit cheaper. I don't have to use it on a video card, but that was the intent.

Does the Titan X have zero dB features below certain temperatures? That was the other thing that I really liked with then new cards because I have built my PC to be almost totally silent.

My Ride
    GTI

I would accept memx giftcards towards cost and I lowered the price to $500. 1070 is a great card, definitely lower power draw. VRAM is a big part of the reason why I buy titan cards though. VRAM aside performance is pretty similar at 4k between 1070 and maxwell titan X, within 3fps of each other. 1070 seems to be a bit better at 1080p but the higher the resolution the closer they are in performance. If I were going 4k and planning to keep the card for a few years I would expect the Titan to do better with higher res textures.

I would also expect better performance from the Titan as a workstation card.

I don't remember if the titan has zero db but I don't really notice much noise from it, hard to tell though because I have around 10 fans in my case.
    Last edited by Hakkola; 08-19-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6