Quantcast
VoIP Service, FPL or others? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: VoIP Service, FPL or others?

My Ride
    Rocket in my pocket

Default VoIP Service, FPL or others?

Any of you guys use FPL VoIP service or similar? I am thinking of switching to VoIP to save costs on my landline and looking for options. FPL servers are in Eastern Canada and on a busy night my pings are around 200ms - 250ms average. Are there any that you guys prefer/use that I can look into? I have a cable service at home, probably will be switching to Teksavvy or Lightspeed from Shaw.

Thanks

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

I have been with VOIP.MS for hum....long long time..think about 7 years now or so, I use it as do my parents. Really no complains for us, set it and forget it, add some credit to it once in a blue moon and it's good to go. All canada calls are like $0.0052 per minute, international calls very cheap as well. I don't even look at the cost of calling, i just call. I have just the dial out line I use to make calls internationally to Japan for the wife, and I use it to call parents who are on voip.ms as well. Calls between voip.ms customers are free regardless where you are. My parents have a DID number which they ported from telus about 7 years ago as well, so that costs I think $1.99 per month for that. I load up like $20 for them a year and it's good enough for the whole year.

I am sure there are other options but this works well for me so no need to change for foreseeable future.

Here is a summary for the last 3 month from my parents account to give you an idea of costs

Calls: 213 | Duration: 6:30:28 | Total: $4.76245
    Last edited by eblend; 05-20-2016 at 10:55 PM.

My Ride
    Rocket in my pocket

^ Thanks, that's very interesting after seeing the numbers. I will look into it, and I might even sign up for it. Do you have a ATA adapter that you are using? I got the Obi200 and will look into how to set it up but looks like voip.ms have sample config pages.

My Ride
    '15 Golf GTI, '10 Jetta TDI

+1 for VOIP.ms, been with them for just over a year and it's been flawless. I run off their Vancouver host and they have various sample configs to get you going for various devices. I had a UK number for a while with them to and honestly, I don't remember the last time I got a 'low credit' warning. ported my Shaw landline number over, done.

My Ride
    Rocket in my pocket

^ Thanks for your input. I signed up with them and put in the order to port my Shaw number as well. I tested the outgoing calls through the Obi200 ATA adapter I purchased and the call quality seemed quite good.

My Ride
    Busa

Another VERY happy voip.ms user. I use it at home, at my office (~10 users) and on my cell. They also have free SMS (for the time being). When I travel I can switch to any local sim and still get my texts normally through their android app. All in all it's a really great service.

One of the biggest selling points for me is the caller ID support. They are the only provider I know of that properly supports incoming and outgoing Canadian caller ID. All of the other providers have spotty support at best if any at all.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by UndrgroundRider

One of the biggest selling points for me is the caller ID support. They are the only provider I know of that properly supports incoming and outgoing Canadian caller ID. All of the other providers have spotty support at best if any at all.
    Another cool thing about CallerID that you project to users, you can set it to be what you want. For example, I only have a Dial-out line at home (no DID) for long distance calls to Japan or wherever, so nobody can call me on that line as I prefer they call my cell, so my caller ID projected from that line is back to my cell number.

I also use that line to call parents, as it's free between voip.ms customers, and if they miss my call they know it came from my as it will show my cell number as the originating number.

I use FPL and absolutely love it.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

i use fongo, it works fine too.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...