Quantcast
Best dual channel dashcam? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best dual channel dashcam?

Name:  screencap.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  81.1 KB

Screen cap from a dash cam vid I uploaded to FB. I can see plates fine at night, during snow, have caught multiple accidents.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Looks good Chester.
    Ultracrepidarian

would a 4K camera solve the issue of the license plate?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Chester View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Screen cap from a dash cam vid I uploaded to FB. I can see plates fine at night, during snow, have caught multiple accidents.
    Your photo highlights what I'm talking about though. Look how close you are to that guy. Now look at the other car in the other lane. Not a chance in hell you can read that one. Go through your video and see how far back you can go before the plate isn't readable anymore. You have to damn near rear end someone to get their plate, at which point they're stopping anyways.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Your photo highlights what I'm talking about though. Look how close you are to that guy. Now look at the other car in the other lane. Not a chance in hell you can read that one. You literally have to rear end someone to get their plate, at which point they're stopping.
    This, and this is completely stopped at a light.

I have the 4K DR-900S 2 Ch, and at night time while moving, it doesn't clearly record plates (and I'm pretty experienced with video / image editing and such.)

I've tried quite a few Dashcams, DR750, A119, A129, C1 Halocam (cheap), and I have a PapaGoSafe 810 (Bestbuy) to try soon, but not a single camera can very clearly capture plates in low light conditions, over-exposed facing the sun conditions, snowy/ storm conditions, and fast moving driving.

But every single one of the above has no problem capturing while stopped at light - obviously.

Here is some absolute RAW footage of my DR900S uploaded in native 4K Resolution (front and rear). Few different examples in snow, day, and night.

Oh well, serves its purpose for me. Parking mode has caught hit and runs, plate visible and all.
    Last edited by Chester; 01-03-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K3RMiTdot View Post
    would a 4K camera solve the issue of the license plate?
    If the issue was strictly one of not being able to read the plate due to not having sufficient resolution, then yes it would help. 4K resolution is still really low though for examining details (8 MP vs 2 MP on 1080P). There are also some very good programs that can up-res images after the fact which would assist in reading a distant plate. If you couldn't read the plate due to atmospheric/heat distortion, fog/snow, etc. then it doesn't matter what the resolution is.

There are other issues you run into though, most cameras like this have a tendency to use really slow shutter speeds for video (especially as it gets darker), so it's easy to get motion blur which will make it potentially more difficult to read. The other issue is that at the end of the day even the $400 dash cams have tiny, low-quality sensors that just don't have a ton of resolving power. Finally, the ultra-wide lenses make even semi-distant things look really far away, and you aren't going to be able to CSI a plate from too far away - they are great for getting a lot in the frame but really bad if you need to see fine detail at even a medium distance.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-03-2019 at 05:08 PM.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Here's some side by side of the Blackvue DR900S vs. Viofo A129 Duo cam's (some footage of front, and some of rear). A close-up shot of a license plate (stand still) too.
    For the cost of the A129 ($169usd) it's actually REALLY good value!! PLUS - The Viofo has an awesome feature I've never seen in another dashcam... a bluetooth remote button that can be mounted anywhere with double sided tape, and when you press the button it immediately saves the latest video file in a separate folder on the car, which is not over-written. This would be awesome for making compilation videos of all the stuff you see I wish the Blackvue had that....

Rats nest for the install/ video

DSC00108 by Spencer, on Flickr

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thanks for that!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Quote Originally Posted by msommers View Post
    Thanks for that!
    Hey no worries I'm glad it might help someone in their decision! Viofo commented on my video and mentioned they have a 4K camera in the works also by the way! I sent them an email asking for some details on that...

I'll have a video of some night time driving of only the Viofo A129 soon, maybe I'll post tonight or tomorrow. Some good footage through the mountains at sunrise, some clips in pitch black / dawn lighting.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by Kijho View Post
    Hey no worries I'm glad it might help someone in their decision! Viofo commented on my video and mentioned they have a 4K camera in the works also by the way! I sent them an email asking for some details on that...

I'll have a video of some night time driving of only the Viofo A129 soon, maybe I'll post tonight or tomorrow. Some good footage through the mountains at sunrise, some clips in pitch black / dawn lighting.
    Would be cool to see some night time comparison. But looks like A129 is nosier than DR900?

This thread is perfect, someone just asked me about dashcam and I have not caught up on the latest. I still have A119 in my head as one of the best.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Be sure if you watch my video there you click 4K quality and full screen it for best viewing

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

Thanks for uploading. Was good to see the differences.
    Im looking at changing mine soon and moving to a front and rear cam. Ive been looking at the Chinese sites last few days and trying to see a equivalent.

My Ride
    Defender, Allroad

Anyone have the F800 and got some footage to share? Need to buy something soon.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by npham View Post
    Anyone have the F800 and got some footage to share? Need to buy something soon.
    BlackboxmyCar has tons of samples

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

While I am sure a dual dash cam is great, I just bought another A119S for the back. I didn't want to run a cable from the front all the way to the back. Seems to work.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    While I am sure a dual dash cam is great, I just bought another A119S for the back. I didn't want to run a cable from the front all the way to the back. Seems to work.
    Is that how dual channels work? Why did I think the signal was transmitted wirelessly? If that's the case, I'll just buy two single channels then.

My Ride
    2020 Tacoma DCSB

Quote Originally Posted by benyl View Post
    How are you avoiding running wires to the rear camera, even if you're using a front facing camera as a rear camera setup? The only way I see that working is if you have a 12V outlet OR a fuse box in your trunk area? (SUV?) I imagine you don't have them hardwired then, OR are not running a Power Magic Pro for parking mode??

Running the wire is super easy. If anyone is seriously struggling with getting the wiring tucked feel free to PM me and you could stop by and I might be willing to lend a hand. I've done alot of installs, I'm not a certified pro or anything, but I just use my fingers and push the wiring in the roof liner along the sides and down the pillar. I've done SUV's too with rear hatches, that's very easy to do (because when you open the hatch you can see the edge of the roof liner making it easier to tuck wires.)

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

I went step further and used the existing wire looms and conduits. But yes, I have a 12v outlet and USB ports in the back.

Name:  1BA7290D-E904-4CDC-BCD7-0CC48A0D68DF.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  90.5 KB

My Ride
    E46

Quote Originally Posted by Kijho View Post

Running the wire is super easy. If anyone is seriously struggling with getting the wiring tucked feel free to PM me and you could stop by and I might be willing to lend a hand. I've done alot of installs, I'm not a certified pro or anything, but I just use my fingers and push the wiring in the roof liner along the sides and down the pillar. I've done SUV's too with rear hatches, that's very easy to do (because when you open the hatch you can see the edge of the roof liner making it easier to tuck wires.)
    I might need help, installing a rear one on the 3rd gen Rav4 with the swing out rear door. Trying to figure out the best way to wire this as I think the wire might get snagged easily with how far that rear door opens out.

TL

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast