Quantcast
For those of you that have been robbed before... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: For those of you that have been robbed before...

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Default For those of you that have been robbed before...

Is it worth your time to visit or watch local pawn shops and Kijiji etc for your stuff?

My garage was broken into on the weekend and had a few items stolen. My insurance deductible isnt huge, but I just feel like I have to do something. Police said they could have finger printed the car if my Wife hadnt taken it out of the garage, but she was in a rush to go to the airport. Already went out and bought a new lock and motion lights, and thinking about either a security system or home video.

Items that were stolen:
    -Rigid 5 piece tool combo set in bag
    -Ryobi battery and charger
    -Ping i25 Driver
    -Ping i25 3 wood
    -Ping i25 Hybrid
    -Credit Card spending spree (was in car)

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

how did they get into the garage?
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

Originally posted by nzwasp
    how did they get into the garage?
    My guess would be with the garage door opener in the car. That's huge right now, my dad's bike was stolen due to this.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

Do you actually have serial #'s for the item that were stolen? If not, probably not worth it.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I once had a brand new FIA race seat stolen out of my Civic overnight (it wasn't mounted, I was transporting it).

Like WTF did they do? Break into the car and steal it just because? And then walk down through Old Strathcona carrying a big f*&king fibreglass race seat??!

Never saw it again, watched for months to see if it popped up.

Also, if you don't have the Serial Numbers or some way of identifying the stuff with proof, good luck trying to lay claim to it. Only way I've seen it done is to set up a time to "buy" the stuff, go and look at it, and basically just walk away with it. That's a dicey proposition though.

Simple fact is, it's impossible to really lay claim to anything under $5k without substantial proof, and the police have more important things to do. I'd just deal with insurance and move on.

My GF's old car was broken into and robbed multiple times. Every time, CPS said they wouldn't do a thing about it, basically "to bad". We made multiple formal complaints. Didn't even bother investigating it or taking finger prints which would have probably been everywhere. All I learned from the process was that you are free to do minor theft/break-ins as much as you want without any threat whatsoever from police intervention. They even told me straight up they wouldn't do anything if I caught the guy on video, so we didn't' go down that road either.

Pretty sure all that stuff is gone for good. Just make a CC claim and insurance claim if it makes sense to do so and be done with it. CPS will not spend any time on it whatsoever.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 05:55 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Have this in my garage:

http://ca.dlink.com/products/connect...-wi-fi-camera/

Take 6 pics and email to you when motion is detected. So you'll know within 1 min that someone is in your garage.

Simple and cheap, got mine from Staples for $80.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

The thieves hopped my fence and went through the door. (Garage is not attached, Wife left it unlocked) We found out another neighbor had their garage entry door kicked in on the same block.

While I dont have serial numbers, the clubs were purchased as demo's, so they do have a distinct marking on them. Im just hoping its not too much hassle with insurance.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Last month my friend's 2008 Kawasaki ZX 10R Ninja was stolen from his townhouse parking lot. CPS never even came for a statement, just took a few quick notes over the phone. He called a few times and they told him to stop calling, they would follow up if needed.

Guessing he'll never see it again
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 11:42 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

All this alarm/sensor/video stuff is great but if you're not home then it's of not much use to you. Police usually won't respond and they most likely do not care about any video so in the end it's just about making yourself feel good.

Have been owning/renting for 38 years, never any alarm system in any place I've lived in and the only vehicles that had alarms came with such from the factory. Haven't had an issue ever in any of the places I've lived, had one car broken into and a motorcycle stolen but in both cases I wasn't home so I couldn't have responded to an alarm anyways. Last theft was 30 years ago.
    Will fuck off, again.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 05:55 PM.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by speedog
    All this alarm/sensor/video stuff is great but if you're not home then it's of not much use to you. Police usually won't respond and they most likely do not care about any video so in the end it's just about making yourself feel good.

Have been owning/renting for 38 years, never any alarm system in any place I've lived in and the only vehicles that had alarms came with such from the factory. Haven't had an issue ever in any of the places I've lived, had one car broken into and a motorcycle stolen but in both cases I wasn't home so I couldn't have responded to an alarm anyways. Last theft was 30 years ago.
    but at the same time, if the would be thieves know its there, they'll usually pass by, i had my yard rummaged through several times, i put up a security camera and a sign indicating i have a camera, i have seen many shady characters walk up slowly to the gate and then as soon as the motion light comes on and they see the camera/sign, they swiftly continue on their lowlife journey.
    Last edited by Thaco; 06-06-2016 at 03:17 PM.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

4am this morning someone tried to get into my garage. i did not have my back gate locked as i usually do. The guy pried the door open just enough at the top to set the alarm off.

Down there in my boxers with a 2' machette looking around in my yard and alley

10 mins later commotion 4 doors down, same guy (prob) entered one of my neighbour garage and set off their car alarm.
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    B8.5 S4

I put a piece of steel plate along the door jamb for the man door to my garage, and 3.5" screws through the hinges, and a lower deadbolt at the height you'd try kick a door.

You can always take a sawzall to the wall, but I like to make life hard fore people trying to rip off my stuff.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

someone broke into my garage a year ago. garage door was opened with no sign of forcible entry. my neighbour showed me how to break into garage doors in a few seconds using a simple coat hanger and how to prevent it from happening.

he showed me an easy fix is to use a zip tie to secure the safety latch to make it much harder for thieves to break in

Man, do y'all live in the NE?
    Will fuck off, again.

Default Re: For those of you that have been robbed before...

Last edited by Rat Fink; 12-06-2020 at 12:40 PM.
    Thanks for the 14 years of LOLs. Govern yourselves accordingly and avoid uppercut reactions!

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Man, do y'all live in the NE?
    We get it. You don't think B&E's area a real thing. But guess what, they happen.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast