Quantcast
For those of you that have been robbed before... - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: For those of you that have been robbed before...

Default Re: Re: For those of you that have been robbed before...

Originally posted by phil98z24

Your girlfriend's car was parked outside in a parking lot where any number of people could have touched it all day, every day. There is no continuity on those prints on the car, and it's almost impossible to put that on a bad guy beyond a reasonable doubt without other good evidence. Also, the inside of cars have almost no printable surfaces, and shit heads wear gloves. It's not worth destroying the inside of a car with printing powder to find a few unusable prints. We also don't tend to ignore video evidence.

You and I talked about this on PM and all the advice you got was from a civilian, not a police officer.

Actually there were several trips to the police station and several phone calls after I talked to you. This went on long after. I wasn't referring to our conversation at all, my frustrations were with the actual police officers we talked to but it doesn't matter anymore. They were also the ones that told me they wouldn't do anything even with a video. We even found out who it was and they wouldn't even go talk to them.

My Ride
    2003 Saab 9-3 Vector; 2015 Jeep Wrangler

Just as a heads up to anyone that has had property stolen, I saw this on Reddit the other day.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/calgar...57668185688016

The CPS has a Flickr account setup where they post pictures of recovered property. If you have had things stolen, not a bad idea to check it out maybe.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Last edited by codetrap; 01-01-2017 at 11:42 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    2003 Saab 9-3 Vector; 2015 Jeep Wrangler

Originally posted by codetrap
    If you subscribe to them on facebook they post this stuff regularly.
    Fair enough! I never really use FB so maybe that will be helpful for people that don't have accounts on there.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by speedog
    The best I heard was of a guy who I used to work with at TELUS who had an alarm system in his home. Thieves broke in, did their thing and even stole the alarm system
    That's why you need monitoring if you want to limit the thieves time in your home. The minute they know it's just an alarm, it's pretty easy to find the horn and kill it.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I have started my claim with my insurance company and it looks like I can get full replacement value, so I dont think I will be playing super sleuth.
    Same insurance company also mentioned a large discount if I sign up with Rogers home security. I didnt even know they had a security division, but the alarm would cost me something like $100 the first year for monitoring after the discount and $180 the second. (25% 1st year, 20% 2nd year, 15% discount there after)

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

the worst thing about being burgled is the lost sense of security and picturing the person in your space / vehicle.

my house was broken into twice when I was young. The first time i was around 8 or 9 and came home (latch key) and noticed the vcr was gone. thought it was pretty wierd. turned around and my dads's computer was gone... went upstairs to check on things and my parents room was just trashed. called my mom at her office and she immediately freaked out and yelled at me to get out of the house and run to the neighbours. turns out the criminals were either still in the house when I got home or left out the back as I was coming in the front. definitely traumed me a bit.

i definitely hate thieves and wish the justice system wasn't catch and release and blame the victims
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    Z

Originally posted by speedog
    All this alarm/sensor/video stuff is great but if you're not home then it's of not much use to you. Police usually won't respond and they most likely do not care about any video so in the end it's just about making yourself feel good.

Have been owning/renting for 38 years, never any alarm system in any place I've lived in and the only vehicles that had alarms came with such from the factory. Haven't had an issue ever in any of the places I've lived, had one car broken into and a motorcycle stolen but in both cases I wasn't home so I couldn't have responded to an alarm anyways. Last theft was 30 years ago.
    is there a sticker involved?
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

speedog better go knock as much wood as he can, because that was such a huge jynx to himself lol

My Ride
    NC1

Insurance will take care of it and I hope you don't lose too much sleep over this. No one likes getting their home broken into. It's a sanctuary and any intrusion is a violation.

After my house got broken into, I got a new front door, added a steel outside door, re-activated my alarm, put up the signs etc. just meant as a deterrent for thieves. Too much work so they move along.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

IMO, having passive electronic surveillance is great - it'll record you being the victim of a crime, but does little to prevent it, and even less these days to help you receive any justice. As the officer said, most thieves are wearing gloves and covering their faces, so a video record is more about proving to the insurance company you actually WERE the victim of a b/e, and little else. And, if the worst should happen, an actual confrontation with someone in your home, especially if it's your wife or children home alone...

I think the best active defense you can have is a well trained dog, preferably of the type used in security, Belgian Sheps, and so forth. If I had a wife and children I wanted protected, even more than training them with other active defense tools, I would heavily weight a good dog over the above, for both practical and legal reasons in Canada.

The OP has made a very interesting and accurate observation - his stuff is easy to replace with insurance, but the peace of mind, and cumulative long term effect of his wife and family being afraid in their OWN home - there is no price on that. Having a furcoat razorblade trained to defend your family in your home = the best security system out there still.

Take what MaxBoost just said, then add snarling angry dog defending the people and home it loves - pretty much the best deterrent out there, and if deterrence doesn't work, lots of biting and tearing usually will.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 06-07-2016 at 03:35 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Gman.45
    I think the best active defense you can have is a well trained dog, preferably of the type used in security, Belgian Sheps, and so forth. If I had a wife and children I wanted protected, even more than training them with other active defense tools, I would heavily weight a good dog over the above, for both practical and legal reasons in Canada.

The OP has made a very interesting and accurate observation - his stuff is easy to replace with insurance, but the peace of mind, and cumulative long term effect of his wife and family being afraid in their OWN home - there is no price on that. Having a furcoat razorblade trained to defend your family in your home = the best security system out there still.

Take what MaxBoost just said, then add snarling angry dog defending the people and home it loves - pretty much the best deterrent out there, and if deterrence doesn't work, lots of biting and tearing usually will.
    Double edge sword if you train a dog as defense. And unless you keep it in the garage, it's pointless.

There is nothing you can do when someone want your shit when you are not home. You just have to make sure you have better deterrent system than your neighbor and thieves decide to go there instead.

Human nature is lazy. They will always go for least effort for most gain.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 06-07-2016 at 04:47 PM.

My Ride
    G

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Have this in my garage:

http://ca.dlink.com/products/connect...-wi-fi-camera/

Take 6 pics and email to you when motion is detected. So you'll know within 1 min that someone is in your garage.

Simple and cheap, got mine from Staples for $80.
    Can this camera survive in an unheated detached garage in winter? I've been looking for a camera for the garage but worried cold weather would make it lag

Having a foot long strike plate goes a long way to help stop someone kicking in a door. The weak point of most doors is the tiny little bit of wood behind the lock.

Having a simple latch on a windowed screen door is also a huge deterrent as it usually requires breaking glass to get to the main door.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 06-08-2016 at 06:21 AM.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Silverado

If I move into a house with a detached garage I am installing a fob locking system. Maybe I'll put one on the house side as well.

My Ride
    Z

Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Is fun!

Originally posted by Disoblige
    speedog better go knock as much wood as he can, because that was such a huge jynx to himself lol
    Funny that....I thought the very same thing lol

Originally posted by littledan
    the worst thing about being burgled is the lost sense of security and picturing the person in your space / vehicle.
    So true! Apparently five thugs were roaming my house and it took a long time for me to even feel ok at home again. The worst things were family pictures trampled on, and the creepiest, was the fact they took some of my lingerie from the bedroom and scattered it all over the house.

You really don't understand the emotions involved until you experience it personally. Bad enough as an adult, I can't begin to imagine the impact for you as a child!

Now, over a year on I'm just very, very

Default Re: Re: Re: For those of you that have been robbed before...

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Actually there were several trips to the police station and several phone calls after I talked to you. This went on long after. I wasn't referring to our conversation at all, my frustrations were with the actual police officers we talked to but it doesn't matter anymore. They were also the ones that told me they wouldn't do anything even with a video. We even found out who it was and they wouldn't even go talk to them.
    Yikes, didn't know about the rest of it! I'm sorry to hear that. PM me if you want, would like to hear about the rest of the story if you feel like filling me in.
    ---------------------------------------------------

Any writings in this forum are my personal view and all opinions expressed should be taken as such; there is no implied or direct opinion representative of anything but my own thoughts on various subjects.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 05:50 PM.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Originally posted by JC522

Can this camera survive in an unheated detached garage in winter? I've been looking for a camera for the garage but worried cold weather would make it lag
    I've had the same camera hanging outside for 2.5 years. Works fine, and haven't had any lag issues.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast