Quantcast
Looks like the Shaw boys need another mansion (Rate Hike) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Looks like the Shaw boys need another mansion (Rate Hike)

My Ride
    is broken

Default Looks like the Shaw boys need another mansion (Rate Hike)

I guess the cable cutters are really getting to the big telecom guys. Too bad increasing rates is such a shity was to fix the problem.

CBC Article

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

And we'll continue to pay these increasing rates because the hell else are we going to do?

My Ride
    Grimace

Mine is going up $3. Sort of care but sort of don't as my service has been super reliable and I always get bonus speed (70+ instead of 60) and they don't care when I destroy the bandwidth limit. Had telus come around the other day as now sage hill has fibre, and they were trying to use their tricks to say that their plan was cheaper than shaw.

Obviously cheaper is better but my service has been flawless for the better part of a decade, with speeds over 20Mbps higher than what I am paying for so I can't really complain about a small hike.

Also I've got to to believe they've done the math, but I still find it hard to believe that a $2-3 rate increase is better than offering TV packages people actually want, and a bunch of new customers happily paying $10-20/month extra instead of zero because of the complete garbage they offer currently.

If they let me cherry pick 10 channels or so, I would be more than happy to pay an extra 10-$15/mo or whatever and I think a lot of people would do the same. Must somehow not be worth it for them though.

My Ride
    Grimace

^^^I think pick and choose is still coming for separate channels. I switched to the $25 tier plus 2 packs so I am down to $37 for TV from $50 or whatever it was before. I just use hulu mostly anyways.

Telus meanwhile doesn't even let you price out the skinny TV on their website
    Last edited by schocker; 06-08-2016 at 10:40 AM.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I'm still on a grandfathered plan so we'll see what happens
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by dj_rice
    I'm still on a grandfathered plan so we'll see what happens
    Yea, my grandfathered plan hasn't been increased in a while now. BB120 is pretty close in price to BB250, after this increase, 250 might even be cheaper.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Looking at my Shaw bill I am paying an obscene amount for cable, with this increase i think I might actually do something about it it and switch from Premier TV to the CRTC 25 dollar bundle+ Sports package and the AMC package. 91 dollars a month down to 45 dollars a month. It also seems that I am paying for voicemail and call waiting for 6/mo for some reason. All getting rid of shit i don't even use.

So overall I should be able to drop my bill by about $52 per month for near the same service. Even golf channel is included in the sports package. It looks like Shaw retention applied my savings as dedicated bill credits from when I threatened to switch a few months ago so i should be able to retain the 2 X $11 credits on my bill even though i am dropping my subscription dramatically. Hopefully.

I dunno how you all manage the "grandfathered" plans. They just keep increasing the price of my existing plans whether they are offered any more or not.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by rage2

Yea, my grandfathered plan hasn't been increased in a while now. BB120 is pretty close in price to BB250, after this increase, 250 might even be cheaper.
    You are a lucky guy! They don't even offer 250 anymore, and if it is close to the 120 price then...fuck. lol bastards are really screwing with us.

They did a rate hike last summer, and now this again?

I know 3$ doesn't seem much of an increase but still, it's not like they're offering more for the service you're already getting.

Bell in Ontario offers 300 mbps @ 100$/month, and 940 mbps @ 150$/month.

While we here pay 123$/month (soon to be 126$/month) for 120 mbps....

We really are getting screwed ...

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Its funny how the cost of cell phones has come down significantly over the past few years, but we are comfortable with a higher cost for Internet/Cable.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Neil4Speed
    Its funny how the cost of cell phones has come down significantly over the past few years, but we are comfortable with a higher cost for Internet/Cable.
    Cell phone plans have gone way up in the last while

My Ride
    LEXUS LX470

I just picked up a Kodi box... was a little bit skeptical at first, but man! all local stations, all sports, hbo and movies, on demand, sky sports, bbc... has it all! i think i might actually cut my cable subscription and just use internet now.
    Tap, Rack, BANG!

My Ride
    is broken

Originally posted by schocker

Cell phone plans have gone way up in the last while
    I dont know if they have gone up significantly. I would probably say they stayed the same with inflation.
    My 1GB data plan was $65 when i signed up 4 years ago. No specials or sales. Now it appears you have to pay $75 to get the same plan.

Originally posted by littledan
    I just picked up a Kodi box... was a little bit skeptical at first, but man! all local stations, all sports, hbo and movies, on demand, sky sports, bbc... has it all! i think i might actually cut my cable subscription and just use internet now.
    So how much data will one chew up on a monthly basis by using a Kodi or similar box/device - just curious.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by speedog
    So how much data will one chew up on a monthly basis by using a Kodi or similar box/device - just curious.
    Based on my retired parent's viewing habits, they chew up 200-300gb a month using a single box.

At our house, where we use our Apple TV's pretty much for everything except sports, we go through the same every month across 4 Apple TVs with moderate TV usage. Funny enough, it's YouTube that's a killer on bandwidth, where we go through about 400gb a month. Kids watch it here and there, but they forget to turn it off on their devices and it just keeps going to the next video continuously for hours at a time.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by jacky4566
    I dont know if they have gone up significantly. I would probably say they stayed the same with inflation.
    My 1GB data plan was $65 when i signed up 4 years ago. No specials or sales. Now it appears you have to pay $75 to get the same plan.
    $65 for 1gb seems pretty pricey though. Second tier carriers though have been increasing prices and have gone away from unlimited minutes on cheaper plans. My 2gb $55 recently went up by $5 but then I called in and it is now $50. Outside of promos though it would be 500 mins and 1gb for $50 through them.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

What are your calling/texting options? I pay the same, but get 6gb of data
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    21 CX5 GT Turbo

Hah I am on my old grandfathered Rogers $60 6GB plan, 200min, unlimited evening and weekends, and My10.

My Ride
    is broken

Originally posted by BigDL

Hah I am on my old grandfathered Rogers $60 6GB plan, 200min, unlimited evening and weekends, and My10.
    Shit. I wish i had that.

I dont even know why minutes is still a thing? Its all digital VOIP anyway. Charge me a flat rate for the phone number and convert the phone time to KB/s.

My Ride
    is broken

Originally posted by FraserB

What are your calling/texting options? I pay the same, but get 6gb of data
    Unlimited nationwide/ unlimited txt. With Telus. Which I know are the priciest but they always have the best coverage in the boonies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast