Quantcast
Brexit > Bremain - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit > Bremain

Default Brexit > Bremain

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gren...exit-1.3618480

British are going to vote on whether or not they continue support of the European Union.

Boris Johnson is more famously known as being hunted down by the IRS for backtaxes, and also a supporter of renouncing US citizenship.
    Cocoa $12,000 per ton.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

I wasn't aware he was US-born. Either way they vote, it'll have lasting effects. Should be interesting.

My Ride
    G6

About time. I am sick of reading about it on BBC.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by jwslam
    http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/...-a7529001.html

Pound worth less than Euro
    Last edited by born2workoncars; 01-17-2017 at 11:24 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

vs CAD is still 1.4 for Euro and 1.6 for Pound.

Still pretty damn low but it's not quite on par.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So what happens if the euros and UK can't agree to a deal on how brexit is going to work?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    So what happens if the euros and UK can't agree to a deal on how brexit is going to work?
    Hard brexit will lower UK GDP by 20% (rumored). Don't know if that will hit GBP the same.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Regardless, Ireland may be back to being f&$ked. Its kind of crazy how bad relations are to this day between the two. And without the EU, the republic will be screwed having its only land border with Northern Ireland and no way to export.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

It will probably switch to world trade rules in the short term.

Though in the longer term EU will have to draw out some sort deal with the UK, it does not make sense not to for both countries. I mean you have a landmass next door to Europe that is half the size of Alberta, a population base of 65 million. Thats a lot of tomatoes, onions, french wine, strawberries, BMW's to export to with low transport costs. You think the French, Spanish, Italian farmers/producers will be happy losing that market?
    Italy is corrupt as fuck and is in debit, like Greece, Portugal and Spain. France is Germany's bitch. German is trying to dominate economically this time. The new Third Reich will be about fruit and veg and dominating economically. Those smaller countries need the UK to keep Germany in check.

Most of it is just political bullshit from the EU playing hardball. Ireland is not screwed, they allowing god knows how many big businesses set up HQ and not pay tax or something. They can go crying to their bitch the European union if they don't like it.

The UK needs to get out.

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Regardless, Ireland may be back to being f&$ked. Its kind of crazy how bad relations are to this day between the two. And without the EU, the republic will be screwed having its only land border with Northern Ireland and no way to export.
    1) Why wouldn't Ireland have the EU? The Republic is a part of the EU, and not leaving it.

2) Are you actually suggesting that the Republic doesn't have any ports of its own to export and import goods?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    1) Why wouldn't Ireland have the EU? The Republic is a part of the EU, and not leaving it.

2) Are you actually suggesting that the Republic doesn't have any ports of its own to export and import goods?
    Then it wouldn't be the meltdown it currently is. It very clearly is the Republic that cares about keeping EU access via the UK. Otherwise, if it were as easy as you think it is, there wouldn't be a fuss.

Edit-
    To be clear, the republic is a part of the EU. I know this. They are complaining that they would have to do exactly what you infer.

Then it wouldn't be the meltdown it currently is. It very clearly is the Republic that cares about keeping EU access via the UK. Otherwise, if it were as easy as you think it is, there wouldn't be a fuss.

Edit-
    To be clear, the republic is a part of the EU. I know this. They are complaining that they would have to do exactly what you infer.
    EU access via the UK for what? This doesn't make any sense. Ireland can access the EU without going through the UK.

Both the Republic and Northern Ireland want the border and customs to stay as is because of the business integration between the two countries particularly in agriculture, and naturally Ireland would want to keep the free and open trade with their largest trading partner as free and open as possible because anything other than what they have now would be a negative for business. That includes trade by land to Northern Ireland as well as directly from the Republic via port to Great Britain.

My Ride
    2021 Zonda CRV

The melt down is related to the Good Friday Agreement. If the UK leaves, then there has to be a hard border between northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland. That can't happen because of the Good Friday Agreement. I think the deal was to have a open border. The DUP opposes this as it does not want to be different from the rest of the UK as I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytiger55 View Post
    The melt down is related to the Good Friday Agreement. If the UK leaves, then there has to be a hard border between northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland. That can't happen because of the Good Friday Agreement. I think the deal was to have a open border. The DUP opposes this as it does not want to be different from the rest of the UK as I understand it.
    The Good Friday Agreement and the Common Travel Area both come into play.

I don't think anybody is actually worried a hard border will come back in. That doesn't benefit either side (a harder border maybe, but still pretty darn open in the grand scheme). It's the customs rules they're most concerned about because that is what will really affect business, moreso than just having trucks needing to stop at the border.
    Last edited by kertejud2; 12-05-2017 at 02:32 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Quote Originally Posted by kertejud2 View Post
    snip
    Um, duh? Thanks for the long paragraph spelling out what anyone following these events knows

Um, duh? Thanks for the long paragraph spelling out what anyone following these events knows
    And without the EU, the republic will be screwed having its only land border with Northern Ireland and no way to export.

That is what you wrote.

"No way to export."

No way to export what? Explain yourself.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

What in the fuck is happening in Britain? Can you smart folks explain this?
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    ute

They're fighting over how much Exit is in Brexit.

Some people want integrated customs, and other such things, but that's largely against the spirit of the vote of the people and the Brexiters.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

What in the fuck is happening in Britain? Can you smart folks explain this?
    So far as I can tell, Brexit is going to bankrupt the country, and no one wants to take the responsibility so everyone is quitting.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast