Quantcast
Latest US Mass Shooting.....Orlando - Page 8 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 7 8

Thread: Latest US Mass Shooting.....Orlando

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by sputnik

I am not suggesting that he is mentally ill to the point of not being criminally responsible like a schizophrenic who blacks out during episodes, but he certainly was not functioning at a the same level mentally as someone who is level headed and thinks logically.
    So let me get this straight; because someone has a different mindset then you, they are mentally ill?

Jesus What makes the killing of people logical? Is that the definition of being mentally ill, if a person doesn't think "logically"?

Half the drivers in Alberta should be locked up in the nuthouse if that is the case. And they think their driving is perfectly acceptable.

My point is, while killing is extreme, he may have felt perfectly justified in doing so Was he wrong? Sure. But even that APA article is scary, they are trying to say that any deviation from the predetermined line of thinking the gov deems acceptable is a "mental illness". Now THAT is truly mental

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by sputnik

I am not suggesting that he is mentally ill to the point of not being criminally responsible like a schizophrenic who blacks out during episodes, but he certainly was not functioning at a the same level mentally as someone who is level headed and thinks logically.
    Might be an illness, or might be a disorder. I think anybody who willingly buys into killing, regardless of reasoning, has a disorder at the very least; they may have an illness, but not necessarily to the degree where they have no control. I believe he had one or the other, but either way I also believe he realized exactly what he was doing, and that it considered wrong, but decided to do it anyway. If there is a silver lining whatsoever, he brought it to the point where the cops ended up taking him out, and saving taxpayers a lot of money.

Someone with schizophrenia, however, is honestly living in a dreamland of their mind's making, and could legitimately not know what they are doing is wrong. Case in point: Likely that DeGrood kid.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

So let me get this straight; because someone has a different mindset then you, they are mentally ill?

But even that APA article is scary, they are trying to say that any deviation from the predetermined line of thinking the gov deems acceptable is a "mental illness". Now THAT is truly mental
    I don't believe it should be considered going against what the *government* wants/expects, as opposed to going against what all of society wants/expects. What is considered the norm here is most certainly not the norm in, say, the Middle East. Women are married off before they hit their teens, and here, that is considered a perversion and is punishable by serious jail time.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 06-15-2016 at 02:38 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    But even that APA article is scary, they are trying to say that any deviation from the predetermined line of thinking the gov deems acceptable is a "mental illness". Now THAT is truly mental
    Where in the article is this? It seems I missed it.

This paragraph IS important as a take-away:

Understanding perpetrators

University of California, Los Angeles psychologist Edward Dunbar, PhD, is examining from a clinical and forensic perspective what drives hate-crime perpetrators. With a team of graduate students, he's spent the last year at the Los Angeles Police Department profiling about 550 perpetrators, examining such factors as motivation, childhood histories and levels of pathology.

Those who commit hate crimes are not mentally ill in the traditional sense--they're not diagnosably schizophrenic or manic depressive, Dunbar is finding. What they do share, however, is a high level of aggression and antisocial behavior.

"These people are not psychotic, but they're consistently very troubled, very disturbed, very problematic members of our community who pose a huge risk for future violence," Dunbar notes. Childhood histories of these offenders show high levels of parental or caretaker abuse and use of violence to solve family problems, he adds.

People who commit bias crimes are also more likely to deliberate on and plan their attacks than those who commit more spontaneous crimes, Dunbar adds.

Gay-bashers, for instance, commute long distances to pursue their victims in spots they're likely to find them, suggesting a strong premeditative component to these crimes. In addition, those who commit hate crimes show a history of such actions, beginning with smaller incidents and moving up to more serious ones, Dunbar notes.

Unfortunately, the current social climate may give such individuals a chance to act out their feelings in ways that are more socially acceptable than usual, comments Staub.

"A crisis such as this may give them permission to have and express these feelings," he says. "People who have had painful experiences and no opportunities to heal tend to be more hostile in general, and they more easily channel their hostility toward groups the society is also against."
    This is not related to Orlando but 9/11.
    Last edited by msommers; 06-15-2016 at 04:26 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 7 8