Quantcast
Does Shaw care about or enforce bandwidth limits? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Does Shaw care about or enforce bandwidth limits?

Default Does Shaw care about or enforce bandwidth limits?

I've been recently downloading...a lot.

I checked my shaw account the other day and I pretty much went double the bandwidth limit last month, and already double the bandwidth limit this month (and it's only the 14th... lol).

I'm on their 120 package (which is their current highest option). I haven't received a phone call or anything but lately I have noticed some slow downs. Though I'm not sure if they're throttling me or what..

I checked online and some forum post had mentioned that Shaw had actually called a customer and "threatened" to suspend the person's modem. Don't recall the full scenario but I don't want this to happen to me lol.

I'm wondering if any of you have ever been contacted by Shaw in regards to bandwidth usage? Does shaw even care, or do they actually enforce the limits?

My Ride
    Grimace

I think only if you go way over or a decent amount over but every month. I have BB60 and go over by a teeny bit every month, but have had a couple months of say 300gb+ over and nothing yet.

I frequently go over by quite a bit, and have been for years, I've never heard a peep from them and they definitely aren't ever throttling my speeds (DL's locked at 14.8-15.0 MB/s always). I even removed all my warnings and data caps because it has been a total non-issue. No phone calls, letters, or bump-ups to a higher price bracket.

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

I got a call when I hit 2TB for about 3 months straight. Didnt realize a download was stuck in a loop and basically downloading itself over and over again.

Thanked them for alerting me (as they left a message the first time) and that I had corrected the situation (didn't tell them what). They said they would monitor my account for a couple months then remove the flag. No lost service, no lost speed. Friendly guy I spoke with.

Did say that if it continued it was grounds to suspend the account, but never got there.

What are you looking for? Maybe some of us have it and can swing by with a flash drive for a beer
    Signature..... I ate it!!

My Ride
    2015 GMC 2500HD Dirtymax

Never had an issue with going over. Have the 120 package and probably go over every other month? Normally its only by 50-100GB, but I did have one month where I near doubled my amount and they still didn't say anything.

Asked about it when one of their techs was installing a new modem, he said they basically are monitoring each hub.... If the hub is constantly being maxed, then they might say something. If you live in an area where not everyone is using their full capacity (90% of users) then you are very unlikely to have them care.

Thumbs up shaw.

I have been cut off by Shaw due to overages. I was over my limit by a few hundred GB every month for about 3 months straight. They didn't have my current phone number on file as i had recently just switched to only using a work supplied phone. Called them up when they cut me thinking I had forgot a bill or something. They went through my usage history and made me upgrade my package to allow for more bandwidth and said they would monitor to make sure I am close or below my limit. Have not heard from them since. This was when I was on 100, now I have 120. So although it may be rare for them to follow up on excess usage, they definitely will cut you off and call you about it. This was all back in December or January-ish of this year.

My Ride
    1988 Accord, 1990 4Runner SR5

I was basically double my limit for three months in a row before I got a call... I played dumb... "bandwith limit, what's that?"

The guy then sent me a page showing my usage the past few months and I never heard a thing after that.
    I was told if I kept going over they would just ask me to upgrade to a more expensive package with a higher limit.

My Ride
    Bicycle

They have cut me off before but seems to be 3 consecutive months of over usage.

I still go over a month here and there. No warnings.

But I know some people who are grandfathers older plan with DOCSIS 2.0 modem that basically can download with no limit.

^^

So when they cut you off, do they give you enough warning? Or do they just do it and expect you to call back?

And when you do call back, will they reactivate your service right away after "the talk"?

I wouldn't mind switching providers that offer "unlimited" bandwidth but problem is none offer the reliable speed in my area.

Does shaw have any "unlimited bandwidth" options?

My Ride
    4Runner Trail Edition

Originally posted by Hero_X
    ^^

So when they cut you off, do they give you enough warning? Or do they just do it and expect you to call back?

And when you do call back, will they reactivate your service right away after "the talk"?

I wouldn't mind switching providers that offer "unlimited" bandwidth but problem is none offer the reliable speed in my area.

You get plenty of warning before your connection is disabled. By phone or by email.
    Last edited by Kaos; 06-16-2016 at 01:45 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I've doubled my bandwidth with UPLOADS accidentally for a few months.

This was to Amazon Glacier though (not torrent, which they can tell) and I never got any notices.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Hero_X
    ^^

I ignored the warnings. Call back, get to next level package (I wanted DOCSIS 3 and 50Mbps anyway) and move on.