Quantcast
First National Financial - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: First National Financial

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    49
    Rep Power
    0

    Default First National Financial

    My mortgage broker is recommending I got with First National Financial for the mortgage on my new place.

    I've only ever dealt with banks before and was wondering if anyone has experience with them specifically or any non-bank lender. Anything I need to watch out for, or are they pretty much the same as a bank?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,007
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    I'm with a small non-big-bank lender (Canadiana) and the only minor complaint i have is visibility into the mortgage details such current balance, equity, etc. They don't have an "online banking" portal and the only info I get is at the end of the year in a paper statement.

    Again this is a minor thing and it really doesn't bother me since i also have a spreadsheet to keep track of payments/equity/balance/principal numbers. This minor inconvenience is worth the tradeoff for the low rate they offered me.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    90
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    i have two mortgages with First National and have found them to be great. good online banking, good customer service. also was referred to them by a broker and after liking them so much I actually moved one mortgage from Scotiabank to FN after the term was up because I did not like some of the BS that Scotiabank pulls.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    403
    Posts
    7,364
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    I've got my mortgage through them.
    Haven't had a bad experience.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cowtown
    My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5
    Posts
    5,893
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    What BS? I'm also with Scotia and things have been really smooth so far.
    Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    calgary.ab.ca
    My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon
    Posts
    7,789
    Rep Power
    36

    Default

    I have a 5 year fixed with them that's up for renewal soon... Haven't really had to deal with them up to this point so we will see... The cost to cancel early when we were looking to sell a place was WAY cheaper than those tricky fucks at Scotia... But that's another story all together

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Reality
    My Ride
    Is fun!
    Posts
    483
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Great Company! Excellent as far as I'm concerned. MCAP is another good one in my experience

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Chevy Silverado
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    First National is one of the oldest non-bank lenders in Canada, and they are constantly in the top 3 mortgage providers (volume of mortgages). They typically have great customer service, fast turn around times, and competitive rates which is why many brokers recommend them.

    They also took over underwriting for a large chunk of TD's mortgages last year.

    They were one of the first non-bank lenders to offer a client portal so that you can view your balances online at anytime, and they are the only lender that offers one year free Home Warranty on Electrical, Plumbing, Heating and air conditioning. So if you are buying an older home and the Furnace dies, you pay a $50 service fee for someone to come out to inspect, and the warranty covers up to $10,000 per year.

    We rarely have complaints regarding them as a lender, however they do exist as with any lender.

    Hope this helps!

    Cheers

    Todd

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    I'm with them, haven't had any bad experiences...

    One thing I wish I would have considered was going with a company which offers job loss protection (if you are susceptible to that kind of thing). Thankfully, I'm still employed, however, that peace of mind is really valuable.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    403
    My Ride
    TL
    Posts
    205
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by Neil4Speed
    I'm with them, haven't had any bad experiences...

    One thing I wish I would have considered was going with a company which offers job loss protection (if you are susceptible to that kind of thing). Thankfully, I'm still employed, however, that peace of mind is really valuable.
    which mortgages offer that? I've never heard of it. Do they pause payments until you are employed again?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Canada
    My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel
    Posts
    2,029
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    I'm pretty sure its Manulife and BMO

    https://www.thestar.com/opinion/colu...insurance.html
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    90
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by msommers
    What BS? I'm also with Scotia and things have been really smooth so far.
    Scotia (and many of the major banks) have some sketchy practices for heavily penalizing you when you try to terminate your contract early. The law states that banks can charge 3 months interest or the Interest Rate Differential (IRD) calculation amount, whichever is greater. What Scotia does and successfully sneaks by most people is they will give you a rate of let's say 2.99% but they will call it a "special rate" or something like that and in the contract they will say that their "posted rate" is 4.5% for example. Then, when you try to get out, they will do the IRD calculation based on the posted rate, which to be fair you agreed to in the contract. but it's sneaky bullshit. so in the exact same situation, with FN, the IRD calculated penalty might be $3000 but with Scotia it could be like $12,000. no joke.
    this is just one thing I've come across. I've also had horrific customer service there, and pushy/sales-y vibes from their mortgage specialists.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    0
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by tpurcell4
    First National is one of the oldest non-bank lenders in Canada, and they are constantly in the top 3 mortgage providers (volume of mortgages). They typically have great customer service, fast turn around times, and competitive rates which is why many brokers recommend them.

    They also took over underwriting for a large chunk of TD's mortgages last year.

    They were one of the first non-bank lenders to offer a client portal so that you can view your balances online at anytime, and they are the only lender that offers one year free Home Warranty on Electrical, Plumbing, Heating and air conditioning. So if you are buying an older home and the Furnace dies, you pay a $50 service fee for someone to come out to inspect, and the warranty covers up to $10,000 per year.

    We rarely have complaints regarding them as a lender, however they do exist as with any lender.

    Hope this helps!

    Cheers

    Todd
    If you are talking about strictly the broker channel, I can't recall the last time they were even 3rd. They've been consistently 2nd behind only Scotia so ultimately #1 non bank lender in the broker channel.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Latest Threads: 12-16-2009, 08:14 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Latest Threads: 07-24-2008, 01:44 PM
  3. First Day Shooting At Track, As well As First Post!

    By mboldt in forum Photographer's Corner
    Replies: 10
    Latest Threads: 08-05-2007, 10:58 PM
  4. Replies: 22
    Latest Threads: 08-12-2004, 10:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •