Quantcast
Floating Deck & Deck Blocks (for RV deck) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Floating Deck & Deck Blocks (for RV deck)

Default Floating Deck & Deck Blocks (for RV deck)

On my RV site, I cannot put in permanent sauna tubes... so building a deck, everyone is using deck blocks.

I was at first going to build a floating deck to the same height as the trailer (2 footish) which would be a very "conventional" deck, using deck blocks for every 8 foot section, where I'd use a 4x4 post in them.

However, I was thinking of building it in 2 tiers, where the higher section would be at the door height of the trailer, yet ground height the rest, which would yield more usable deck space and better use of my lot.

my question is this... and I'm having some hard time getting actual understanding, but if I were to place the 2x8's directly on the decking board, it looks like I need a whole lot more of them.

I'm seeing based on some of the images that its like every 2 foot to 30" sections there is a deck block, which almost seems like overkill (not being cheap, but that is a sure of a heck of a lot of leveling)

any guidance here guys?

My Ride
    Canyonero

use a calculator like that available on decks.com http://www.decks.com/calculators/beamsandfootingsizes

You really just need to plan out the size of your footings and spans.

Originally posted by prae
    use a calculator like that available on decks.com http://www.decks.com/calculators/beamsandfootingsizes

You really just need to plan out the size of your footings and spans.
    it seems to be very different standards from building a conventional deck and one floating using just 2x8's directly on the deck blocks.

If you are just building the lower 2x8 section without any common beam underneath, then you will likely need to support each individual joice(to keep them out of the dirt). I wouldnt use deck blocks/piers tho, maybe use 8x8 pavers (or similar size). And yes you'll have to level each one. So maybe get a hand-tamper, some road crush and a shovel while you're at it.

My Ride
    2009 G37X sedan, 2009 Murano

Have you looked into screw piles....worked great for my backyard floating deck...

so this is kinda how it works...

if you are making a ground level deck and using the decking blocks to fit a 2x6 or 2x8 to give it lowest profile, you won't have space to run beams (i.e. 2x 2x8s) under the joists.

So, you have to space those decking blocks around every square 26 inches, which is a shit ton of leveling...

if you use a 4x4 or those metal things to host a beam (2 x 2x8) then you can space them further - upwards for 5 feet apparently for code for a floating deck

I thought a ground level deck would be easier, but I'm thinking its much easier to just put those things out every 5 feet for just 2 or 3 beams... put up a piece of the 2x8, level and set with a brad nailer, then mark them and lop the tops of the posts with a saw, and then sandwich the 2x8's on either side of the posts.

My Ride
    '93 CYM FD3S

For a ground level deck, why not run a flush beam and use joist hangers to mount your deck joists to the side of the beam instead of the top?