Quantcast
Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2016-2017 Edition - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 35 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2016-2017 Edition

Default Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2016-2017 Edition

The NHL offseason is finally here. First order of business for the Flames is the hiring of a new coach in Glen Gulutzan.

I trust Treliving to be a diligent person and goes through every decision with a fine tooth comb and expect this to be a good marriage for the team. Keeping in mind that Hartley was never Treliving's hire and likely would've been fired last year had he not made the playoffs and won the Jack Adams. Found lightning in a bottle and couldn't sustain it.

Thoughts on the new coach? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Default Re: Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2016-2017 Edition

Originally posted by Quizzes
    Seems like a strange selection. Doesn't exactly have much NHL experience and what he has isn't anything to be terribly proud of.

Good luck Flames.

Struggled as a head coach in Dallas.

Was below average running the PK in Vancouver last year, but was great the year before, and average the year before that.

Should be interesting.

Originally posted by lasimmon
    Struggled as a head coach in Dallas.

Was below average running the PK in Vancouver last year, but was great the year before, and average the year before that.

Should be interesting.
    Good point about Dallas. I think at that time, Dallas wasn't ready to be a contender and was going through the motions. He probably lacked experience as a head coach then and when Nieuwendyk got fired, so did he.

Being an associate coach in Vancouver isn't exactly a ringing endorsement either, so that's a bit of a head scratcher.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

TSN says the Flames are targeting Fleury.

I've never been high on Fleury. He has had stretches of great hockey, but seems like his consistency just isn't there. A bit of a gamble if Treliving is going to go for it, but something has to be done in net.

Vancouver signs Sven Baertschi for a good value bridge contract. This coming season will be telling as to whether the Flames were fleeced on that trade or not.

Good point about Dallas. I think at that time, Dallas wasn't ready to be a contender and was going through the motions. He probably lacked experience as a head coach then and when Nieuwendyk got fired, so did he.

Being an associate coach in Vancouver isn't exactly a ringing endorsement either, so that's a bit of a head scratcher.
    Given everything it really could go either way. Could be good, could be bad.

Originally posted by Kloubek
    TSN says the Flames are targeting Fleury.

I've never been high on Fleury. He has had stretches of great hockey, but seems like his consistency just isn't there. A bit of a gamble if Treliving is going to go for it, but something has to be done in net.

Vancouver signs Sven Baertschi for a good value bridge contract. This coming season will be telling as to whether the Flames were fleeced on that trade or not.
    Fleury was the only reason they were still relevant earlier in the season when everyone else was struggling. He does struggle in big games, but he's a good stop gap for the time being if the price to acquire him isn't greater than a 2nd rounder.

Sven demanded a trade, so it didn't leave the Flames with many options.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default Re: Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2016-2017 Edition

I'm pretty indifferent on the choice at the moment, but I always favoured the idea of going with a relatively "fresh" face in giving an assistant coach a shot rather than recycling the same old aging coaches over and over again.

That said, I'm glad we didn't go with Carlyle or Creepy Pedo Cameron and I don't think Boudreau would have been a right fit for the team.

Anyone watch the presser? Part of Gulutzan's job interview included doing the Grouse Grind with Conroy. That might explain why Carlyle and Boudreau didn't get the job

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Not too sure how I feel about it yet... I think a fresh face is a good thing, but I also am a little nervous that he doesn't really have any solid experience and results...

Sometimes tho in many things if you give someone the opportunity to succeed, they can rise up to the challenge and really make a change.

I wouldn't look at his time in Dallas as indicative of anything. Whoever replaced Tippett was going to fail.

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Wasn't thrilled about the Gulutzan signing, but I don't know much about him so I can't judge to much - As well, I don't have anyone 'better' in mind. I do agree that Treliving has proven to make solid decisions so I do trust him.

As for Fleury; He is the reason that I became a Pens fan, and he was my idol growing up as a goalie. I think he gets an unfair rap for the Pens playoff struggles in previous years, but anyone with good hockey knowledge can understand the Pens struggles were far deeper rooted than an odd bad goal by Fleury. Matt Murray let in a few stinkers this year. What a lot of people also might not consider is his locker room leadership, which I hear is highly regarded in the Pens locker room. I would gladly welcome him to Calgary, he would give the Flames a solid 4-7 years to find and develop a franchise goalie.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Rumours are coming out today that the Flames are trying to work a deal with TBL for Bishop. Have to wonder if the 6th overall pick is part of the deal. Nothing confirmed obviously, but if TBL trades Bishop that could free up space to keep Stamkos.

Not interested in giving up 6th overall for a pending UFA next season.

So far I've heard the first one was all of calgarys 2nd rounders (3), backlund and prospects for Bishop. Which I laughed cause that rumor seems absolutely ridiculous. Between injuries and UFA next year, no fucking away unless its a trade and sign. But even then, backlund had wayyyy too good of a season plus 3 2nd rounders on top.

And apparently pittsburgh wants flames 6th overall for fluery (also another joke).

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Not interested in giving up 6th overall for a pending UFA next season.
    One would assume it would be a trade-and-sign, just like the Andersen deal from yesterday.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

I wouldn't go as far as saying they're rumours as much as people making news out of nothing.

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-t...-bishop-rumor/

Bob McKenzie was on Vancouver’s TSN 1040 on Tuesday morning.

On how the hot rumor this morning is that Tampa Bay is offering up Ben Bishop via trade:

“Let me take you back, and I can only suspect the genesis of all of this. Last night I was doing on Twitter sort of a chat about the draft, and I was asked some questions about teams and NHL moves, and things like that.

“So somebody asked me about what will Calgary do now that they didn’t get Freddie Andersen, they were after Freddie Andersen from Anaheim. The Leafs got him and signed him. What’s their next move. And I said obviously they need a goaltender. They have talked, or they will talk, to the Tampa Bay Lightning about Ben Bishop. That was it. That’s all I said. The same as they’ve talked to Pittsburgh about Marc-Andre Fleury.

“Now apparently some dim bulb in Tampa has started to say that ‘there’s reports out of Canada that Calgary has a deal in place for Ben Bishop,’ which, if they do, it’s news to me. I certainly didn’t say that, and I’m not aware of anybody else who did either.

^^^ Thank Jesus. I can only imagine how much Flames would've had to overpay for Bishop.

My Ride
    K20A2

i hope we get bishop but not for our 6th pick
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    NC1

can we give them mark jankowski lol what's going on with that kid. is he ready or what
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Axis powers

I would like to see Bishop come here instead of Fluery
    Sig nuked by mod.

Page 1 of 35 1 2 11 ... LastLast