Quantcast
Orangetheory Fitness - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Orangetheory Fitness

My Ride
    Silverado

Default Orangetheory Fitness

Any other members on here? I have been to 3 classes now, intense cardio workout. usually about 15 people in the class, only 2-3 guys usually. Everyone wears heart rate monitors so you can see what training zone you are in on screens in the gym.

Here is the summary from my workout yesterday. Yes, I am out of shape.

My Ride
    This and that.

I am thinking of joining a gym near my house now that I am back in Calgary and have both Orange Theory and Anytime Fitness near the house. I don't know much about this place, could you elaborate as to how it works. Is it like a regular gym where you do your own thing or you simply attend classes etc? What are the costs involved with becoming a member?

Perfect timing for a thread such as this btw lol. Thanks.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

I go with my wife to the westsprings to keep her motivated. Its a great cardio workout but the weight portion is pretty useless.

My Ride
    Lariat

Originally posted by shakalaka
    I am thinking of joining a gym near my house now that I am back in Calgary and have both Orange Theory and Anytime Fitness near the house. I don't know much about this place, could you elaborate as to how it works. Is it like a regular gym where you do your own thing or you simply attend classes etc? What are the costs involved with becoming a member?

Perfect timing for a thread such as this btw lol. Thanks.
    You must live near me (cougar ridge area?) I believe orange theory is all classes, where as anytime fitness is a place you can go 24/7 and do your own thing
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Does is work out to about $12-15 a class? We have one minutes from our place. When it first opened my wife and I checked it out. Looks neat but figured too much $ for us.

This looks fun as well.

http://crossfitai.com/

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Default Re: Orangetheory Fitness

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    Any other members on here? I have been to 3 classes now, intense cardio workout. usually about 15 people in the class, only 2-3 guys usually. Everyone wears heart rate monitors so you can see what training zone you are in on screens in the gym.

Here is the summary from my workout yesterday. Yes, I am out of shape.

That many calories used up one can eat a lot and still be in a deficit!

I have been thinking of joining OrangeTheory for a while as I've heard the workout is really good. Not sure I want to be part of both OrangeTheory and Goodlife though.

From what I understand, it's more of a bootcamp type class where everything is pretty structured isn't it?

My Ride
    This and that.

Originally posted by asp integra

You must live near me (cougar ridge area?) I believe orange theory is all classes, where as anytime fitness is a place you can go 24/7 and do your own thing
    Yup, I am in Wentworth Estates on 9th Ave.

I am gonna check out Anytime Fitness in a day or so to see how it is. OT seems like a neat idea as the classes probably motivate you, perhaps something that you can just 'pay as you go' I guess on a class to class basis.

My Ride
    Silverado

It is definitely comparable to a boot camp.

The class is structured. Usually half on treadmills / rowers and half on the floor doing core, weights, body weight squats, and trx things.

Everyone wears a heart rate monitor and your goal is to spend time in the 'orange zone'. If your goal is weight loss / cardio it's great for sure. Not really applicable for weight gain.

It is expensive, but for cardio i'm basically burning twice as many calories as I would at the gym.

My plan is to use free weights at home on off days for some upper body muscle building.

My Ride

I live in this area and checked out both gyms as well.

Anytime is surprisingly empty even during what you would think are peak hours. They will give you a two week trial pass if you go in and take a tour etc. Being always open and having a location literally in every part of every city in North America you can access is great. However it is geared more to a beginner/intermediate lifter than the serious one (dumbbells don't even go past 100, no real bench press, etc).

Orange Theory is a cool concept for people that need motivation while focusing on cardio, but is not a real gym at all, and IMO is more of a trend thing that will not last.

If you're in that area I would just go to westside (where I go). Anytime's price is almost identical to westside except it has probably about 1/100th of the footprint (probably less).

Westside has tons of equipment, if you play hockey and have afternoons off/work odd shifts you get access to free shiny, wall climbing, badminton/vball/bball, the pool, etc etc.

My Ride
    2007 4Runner

I've been doing OTF in Creekside since it started and I really like it. You're not going to burn more calories per hour then that place (well spin class would be the same) Yes it isn't cheap but it's well worth it in my mind. I just go once a week for my cardio, depending on what your looking for its really good. It's not a place to bulk up but better if you're looking to get fit and toned. Drop in and they'll always give you a class to try for free. Pretty sure that it will last, the one I have been going to has been busy and it been like that for a long time the women really seem to flock to it. "Dirtsniffer" I'm surprise that your pud went for 62 minutes you couldn't have had a class behind you as I've never got results with a time in the 60's always in the mid to late 50's.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

I have a hard time believing that many calories were burned in 60 minutes. Seems optimistic, but thats just based on my research.

HIIT would have a tough time doing that, and the fact is, as you slow down, you technically are burning less calories. Thats a serious amount of work, maybe possible for somebody IN shape, but like I said, I doubt it .

unno:

My Ride
    TDi

Wow, that's an insane amount of calories lost.

My old coworker started going here many years ago and she looks good now. She lost a lot of weight and is into fitness training. Worth it if you have goals for weight loss.

I might try it eventually, and die, for some cardio here and there.
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    This and that.

I will probably get some information about Anytime some time next week and if the pricing is the same or similar to Westside then I might as well join Westside again. I used to be a member there before moving to Edmonton. While I don't really go pool, sauna etc but for the same price it's a no brainer.

My Ride
    2007 4Runner

I'll like to think that I'm pretty fit and when I first started I would hit around 1000 cals but now its really hard to get there most times I'm in the 800's. This is normal so they say and make total sense too. As for which type of gym membership to get the only good one is the one that you actually go to and use!

My Ride
    Silverado

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    I have a hard time believing that many calories were burned in 60 minutes. Seems optimistic, but thats just based on my research.

HIIT would have a tough time doing that, and the fact is, as you slow down, you technically are burning less calories. Thats a serious amount of work, maybe possible for somebody IN shape, but like I said, I doubt it .

unno:
    Do you ever really know what you profess to? Sure, no calorie estimation is entirely accurate, but even if it's off by 10% it is still a hell of a workout. It is also based on HIT. Also bigger people burn more calories due to it taking more energy to do things. a big fit person will burn more than a small fit person and a big fatty will burn more calories than a small fatty.

Here is the workout from yesterday.

Last edited by dirtsniffer; 06-20-2016 at 08:10 AM.

Originally posted by shakalaka
    I will probably get some information about Anytime some time next week and if the pricing is the same or similar to Westside then I might as well join Westside again. I used to be a member there before moving to Edmonton. While I don't really go pool, sauna etc but for the same price it's a no brainer.

Funny enough I found Anytime terrible on communication. And I believe the rate they were asking was $55/month. Which I laughed at given the sq footage and what you get. Going it to it I expected the whole 24/7 no staff idea to be more in the $20/month range.

So for $660 a year at Anytime it is not even a fair competition to the rate at westside of $735 (reduces to $705 second year) As the equipment available at westside quite big. For me the free shinny was a huge plus especially last summer with very little work. At a typical $20/drop in for hockey I cut that cost up quite nice.

Hopefully I see that beauty of an X5M around the Aspen area tho

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    I thought it looked high too, but given the heart rate and that you're a big guy I can believe that you're burning around 1000/hr. Good on ya

My Ride
    This and that.

Originally posted by colinxx235

Funny enough I found Anytime terrible on communication. And I believe the rate they were asking was $55/month. Which I laughed at given the sq footage and what you get. Going it to it I expected the whole 24/7 no staff idea to be more in the $20/month range.

So for $660 a year at Anytime it is not even a fair competition to the rate at westside of $735 (reduces to $705 second year) As the equipment available at westside quite big. For me the free shinny was a huge plus especially last summer with very little work. At a typical $20/drop in for hockey I cut that cost up quite nice.

Hopefully I see that beauty of an X5M around the Aspen area tho
    My biggest thing is that I don't like getting tied into contracts for things like that, plus I have no idea if I am still going to be in Calgary in a year. Which is why I would rather not sign up a year long contract with West Side. But if I have no other choice, then I will. From what I am reading around, it seems like even Anytime wants you to do the contract. If that's the case then I have absolutely no incentive to go there at $55/month when WS ends up being $61/month.

You'll see the truck around I guess, haha. A buddy from Edmonton messaged me yesterday saying he saw my old M3 driven around and how it sounded amazing etc. Instantly made me miss it and regret the swap. But then I drove the X5M this morning and the sheer comfort of it has made things a little better, although I have my doubts every now and then. lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast