Quantcast
Brian Burke thinks NHL players should get tax breaks - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian Burke thinks NHL players should get tax breaks

My Ride
    ute

Default Brian Burke thinks NHL players should get tax breaks

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...next-1.4150420

The higher taxation rates in Canada are also unfair for NHL players on Canadian teams. Burke said he believes athletes should be eligible for some sort of tax break.

"These guys make big money but they have short careers," Burke said. "If you're a doctor, you might make a good living for 45 years.… We're going to have to figure out how to tax the athletes equitably for the Canadian teams to be able to compete.

Also, this bit of arrogance:

When pressed ... on why public dollars should be used to finance an arena for the team, Burke said, "I think most intelligent people get this, sorry …."
    nice work.

Making it really hard to be fans of these assholes.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Did you actually watch the whole video? He made some extremely valid points. While the delivery may not have been perfect, he was spot on with much of what he was saying with regards to revenues not just from the Flames, but concerts, etc.

My Ride
    M3

You forgot the part where someone said "intelligent people know how to tie their own tie"

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Burke is correct about that taxation thing from a player or team perspective too. If the guys pay more taxes, they keep fewer dollars, and if they have choices about where to play their short career, that absolutely factors into their decision making process. The average player is only int eh league for five years, and tons of "lower end" guy play one or two seasons only. That money needs to last.

Now does that mean it's our job as Canadians to "fix" this problem? No. It would be career suicide for any politician to suggest special tax breaks for players.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    That money needs to last.
    But it's not like they're complete invalids and incapable of working any job after their NHL career is over.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

No, that's true, but your average NHL player can expect to earn a lower salary for the rest of their working days. A lot of the "utility" players have no special skills, and unlike most other adults their age, haven't spent a decade or more gaining those skills. Don't get me wrong, I'm not feeling sorry for them.

The issue I think is that the NHL players we all remember and think about are the top 10% of the players in terms of salary and career length. Those guys are set for life, plus they have very marketable names for a second career.
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Ford F150

Sure. But jobs end. Should oil workers get tax breaks due to market crashes? These players know they have a short career, and as adults they should be planning on that. If the NHL cared they'd make a player's pension.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    Sure. But jobs end. Should oil workers get tax breaks due to market crashes? These players know they have a short career, and as adults they should be planning on that. If the NHL cared they'd make a player's pension.
    Well we make less than our counterparts in US o&g, maybe it just stretches across all industries haha.

I can agree with Burkes point on players though. Short career, no plans after, tough to want to come back home to make less money. Im not saying NHL players are underpaid but his point makes sense.

As far as the rink, I live downtown and use it quite often so I'm all for using public money. But I am definitely the minority it seems (at least on beyond, my hockey teams all seem in favor haha)

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
    These players know they have a short career, and as adults they should be planning on that.
    That's a pretty short-sighted way of seeing things.

Most of these players are thrown on the ice almost as soon as they can walk and are brought up to not focus on anything but hockey. We have the luxury of learning these life skills at our own pace while most players don't. During the regular season, just focus on playing. Season's over? Train for the next season. Worse are the guys who put their trust in the wrong people, like Jack Johnson whose parents who blew all his savings.

I'm not saying athletes should get a tax break (because they shouldn't), but for many of them, it's not like they've won the jackpot like the general public thinks it is.

My Ride
    2005 F350

Originally posted by riander5

Well we make less than our counterparts in US o&g, maybe it just stretches across all industries haha.

I can agree with Burkes point on players though. Short career, no plans after, tough to want to come back home to make less money. Im not saying NHL players are underpaid but his point makes sense.

As far as the rink, I live downtown and use it quite often so I'm all for using public money. But I am definitely the minority it seems (at least on beyond, my hockey teams all seem in favor haha)
    and yet everyone is screaming for a race track that would cost hundreds of millions yet be used by significantly less people in the area...

i also found it funny that people are saying that Calgary already has a vibrant downtown. go down there on a weeknight and 70% of the stores have no customers or are closed for the day.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Professionals get paid in USD so they already get about a 25-30% bump in pay just by exchange.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by SOAB

and yet everyone is screaming for a race track that would cost hundreds of millions yet be used by significantly less people in the area...

i also found it funny that people are saying that Calgary already has a vibrant downtown. go down there on a weeknight and 70% of the stores have no customers or are closed for the day.
    That's true and it is quite the double standard. I'd dare say a hockey arena is a better use of tax dollars vs a race track with regards to the benefit to the average Calgarian.

A vibrant downtown? In Calgary? No..that would be in Vancouver/Toronto. Our downtown "nightlife" is absolutely pathetic for a big city.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

I agree a hockey arena is a better use than a race track, for sure.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

That's true and it is quite the double standard. I'd dare say a hockey arena is a better use of tax dollars vs a race track with regards to the benefit to the average Calgarian.

A vibrant downtown? In Calgary? No..that would be in Vancouver/Toronto. Our downtown "nightlife" is absolutely pathetic for a big city.
    Not pathetic; non-existent. 1AM and everyone is home.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Downtown Calgary is vibrant only if your sample data is collected on a Saturday afternoon in +20 weather at Prince's Island Park. Outside of that, it's a freaking ghost town.

My Ride
    F355 Challenge/996TT/FD3S/968 Turbo/NSX

I must have missed the memo, when has any proposed race track in the Calgary area demanded hundreds of millions of dollars from government? All the proposals I have seen have financing from investors and stakeholders to build a track. I'm pretty sure if the Flames organization said "we will fund Calgary NEXT entirely with our own money" it would be built. At issue is how much public money should go into it - something that has never been considered for a race track. And your inclusion of race tracks in the discussion is offensive to those who are putting their own money towards getting one built.

My Ride
    2005 F350

Originally posted by soloracer

I must have missed the memo, when has any proposed race track in the Calgary area demanded hundreds of millions of dollars from government? All the proposals I have seen have financing from investors and stakeholders to build a track. I'm pretty sure if the Flames organization said "we will fund Calgary NEXT entirely with our own money" it would be built. At issue is how much public money should go into it - something that has never been considered for a race track. And your inclusion of race tracks in the discussion is offensive to those who are putting their own money towards getting one built.
    i was mainly talking about people on beyond getting pissed when the city decided to close Race City. people wanted the city to invest lots of money into it so that they wouldn't have to drive 3 hours north to edmonton for a track day.

folks here want to live in a world class city with world class amenities but don't want to help fund them. they would rather see their tax dollars go towards more roads.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    NC1

Hard to feel sorry for pro athletes. Even if buddy only played 3-4 years and was only making $500k that's $2mill gross and way more than I make haha

They can always go overseas too where they can make a reasonable living playing in those leagues.

Not being able to manage money is on them. Everyone has to be responsible for their own stuff
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

i was mainly talking about people on beyond getting pissed when the city decided to close Race City. people wanted the city to invest lots of money into it so that they wouldn't have to drive 3 hours north to edmonton for a track day.
    That's not what happened. At all. The city didn't decide to close race city. They just priced ownership out of race city. Nobody wanted the city to build us a race track. See for yourself:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=286138
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by max_boost
    Hard to feel sorry for pro athletes. Even if buddy only played 3-4 years and was only making $500k that's $2mill gross and way more than I make haha

They can always go overseas too where they can make a reasonable living playing in those leagues.

Not being able to manage money is on them. Everyone has to be responsible for their own stuff
    You're also forgetting a lot of things like expenses, taxes, agent's commision etc. I've had a few buddies bounces around the NHL system or more so the AHL then off to Europe. Its pretty crazy how much of the money disappears for those guys who are the no bodies.

At best if you're lucky you played in college, go a degree, signed your 3-4 year entry deal and took all that money and put it on a house/invested it then went off to work. But in the case that you didn't or keep pursuing hockey you'll go through a stretch of bouncing around AHL/Europe for less than 100k hoping to get back. It's a tough road.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast