Quantcast
OFFICIAL: 2016 - 2017 NHL thread - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: OFFICIAL: 2016 - 2017 NHL thread

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default OFFICIAL: 2016 - 2017 NHL thread

Draft day in less then a week so may as well start a new thread.

Rumours are suggesting that Strombo is out and MacLean is back in as host of HNIC:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...a-feschuk.html

Ron MacLean to replace Strombo on Hockey Night in Canada: Feschuk

George Stroumboulopoulos was originally hired to draw younger viewers, but his ouster may mark a return to the show’s old ways.

George Stroumboulopoulos won’t return as host of Hockey Night in Canada next season, sources tell the Star.

His replacement will be the man he replaced. Industry insiders say Ron MacLean is expected to return to the show’s No. 1 seat just two seasons after Stroumboulopoulos was hired with much fanfare in the wake of Rogers’ $5.2-billion acquisition of NHL broadcasting rights. Prior to that, MacLean occupied the job from 1986 until 2014. Since then, he has hosted Sunday night Hometown Hockey broadcasts and worked Saturdays alongside Don Cherry on Coach’s Corner. It’s expected he will continue those roles in addition to resuming the main HNIC hosting gig — the highest-profile position in Canadian sports broadcasting.

The ouster of Stroumboulopoulos marks a strategic about-face for Rogers, which sublicenses Hockey Night in Canada to CBC. In 2014, executives remade the iconic Saturday night show while speaking of the need to bring it to a younger demographic.

“We want to get a new breed of Canadian fans that get passionate about the games,” Scott Moore, president of Sportsnet and NHL properties, told reporters after Stroumboulopoulos’s hiring was announced in 2014. “I think George does that.”

Whether or not Stroumboulopoulos succeeded in luring in younger viewers, his presence didn’t do much for the show’s overall ratings, which have been lagging since he arrived. The reasons for that trend, of course, can hardly be laid at the feet of one on-air personality. It hasn’t helped that the ratings-driving Maple Leafs have struggled through a couple of seasons in which they finished 27th and 30th in the 30-team league, nor that this spring marked just the second time in the century-plus history of the NHL a Canadian team didn’t make the playoffs.

“If the Leafs won the Cup this year, would the focus be on George?” wondered one insider.

With his penchant for skinny suits and a resume that included time as a MuchMusic veejay and 10 years as host of a CBC TV talk show, Stroumboulopoulos was different by design. Moore embraced the new host’s uniqueness at his 2014 unveiling: “He’ll sort of be like that Sesame Street thing — one of these things is not like the others — but he’ll bring something different and his own unique take on hockey broadcasting,” Moore said.

But with ratings down, insiders say executives suggested to Stroumboulopoulos that he tweak his appearance to be less jarring to some mainstream eyes. A trip to the tailor for a more conventional wardrobe was on the list of polite requests.

“In George, they bought a well-established brand, and suddenly they wanted to change the brand,” said one insider.

Stroumboulopoulos, who maintains a foothold at CBC with his acclaimed Sunday-night rock radio show and busies himself with a varity of passions that include motorcycling, is admired by supporters for his fiercely independent streak. Sources say he didn’t appear to see the need for a makeover.

The imminent re-emergence of MacLean, an avowed hockey junkie with a seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of NHLers and their various family members, is hardly the broadcaster’s first recommitment to older ways. Earlier this month it was announced that Cherry, the 82-year-old star of Coach’s Corner, had signed a new multi-year contract. In the early days of the Rogers deal, Cherry wasn’t shy about complaining that his show had been marginalized. “You gotta pay attention to me, because I don’t get much time,” he complained on his show in November 2014.

The Rogers takeover brought with it an influx of new talent that also led to a reduction in the prominence of iconic play-by-play man Bob Cole, 82. This past season, though, saw Cole’s role increased to include assignments that continued into the conference finals.

Stroumboulopoulos, 43, did not respond to repeated messages seeking comment. In an email, MacLean, 56, said he remains committed to his roles on Coach’s Corner and Hometown Hockey, but said he could not comment on the upcoming season until his superiors “finalize their 2016-17 plans.”

One insider cautioned that, at a time of transition for the broadcaster — in April, Hockey Night in Canada production head Gord Cutler was let go and Rob Corte was put in charge — plans could change. In an email message on Sunday, Moore dismissed talk of next season’s lineup as “simply speculation.”

“(We) have not finalized our plans for next season as the current one is not over,” Moore wrote. “Once we have solidified our plans, I will be happy to comment.”
    If true, it's a shame. I've always liked Strombo and think he's a great interviewer. There's more problems with the Rogers production that should be addressed before pressing the abort button on him so quickly.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Bad move, Strombo was the least of their problems. He could have been the world's best moderator and still would have ended up with a crap show when saddled with blowhards like Kypreos and Healy. Rogers just doesn't have the faintest idea how to manage HNIC and Strombo is getting scapegoated. I'm sure Friedman will be next on the chopping block so they can make 100% certain nobody on the panel (apart from MacLean) has a fucking clue.

My Ride
    Lariat

And a Vegas team is approved by the NHL board of governors. http://www.tsn.ca/viva-las-vegas-nhl...17-18-1.513485
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    2009 G37X sedan, 2009 Murano

Does this mean they'll get rid of those cringe worthy segments where they stand around with hockey sticks? Strombo looked the most out of place in those. ..looks like he should be running a Starbucks, once I read that he only started playing ice hockey a couple years ago.

My Ride
    Perpetual Test Drive

I'm excited to add "Watch a Flames Game" to my Vegas agenda! Yeeehaw!
    War is Peace. Freedom is Slavery. Ignorance is Strength.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by JohnnyHockey
    once I read that he only started playing ice hockey a couple years ago.
    What does that have to do with anything?

My Ride
    NC1

^

Infer it as Strombo doesn't know anything about the game? I liked him maybe they want more old school lead?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    2009 G37X sedan, 2009 Murano

Originally posted by D'z Nutz

What does that have to do with anything?
    Sorry, but I believe professional commentary should come from someone who knows the game and has actually played it on a high level? Wouldn't you agree...I mean it's ok for us fans to just talk amongst ourselves, but an outfit like HNIC should have people who really know what they're talking about...

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Sorry, but I believe professional commentary should come from someone who knows the game and has actually played it on a high level? Wouldn't you agree...I mean it's ok for us fans to just talk amongst ourselves, but an outfit like HNIC should have people who really know what they're talking about...
    No, I don't agree.

Kypreos, Stock, and Healy all played in the NHL (two of which have Stanley cup rings) and they're fucking idiots. Milbury has been a player, coach, and GM and he's one of the worst analysts out there. I'll give Roenick a pass cause I think he's hilarious, but he's not very bright either. Meanwhile, two of the most respectable analysts in Bob McKenzie and Elliotte Friedman never played at a high level.

And what makes you think he doesn't know what he's talking about? He's been a Habs fan all his life, started his broadcasting career in sports radio with Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek over 20 years ago, and he's interviewed a lot of high profile hockey personalities in his career prior to HNIC, including Bettman.

And really, his job is to host the show and keep the conversation going. When the expert go-to guy is Kypreos, you're bound to fail.

Yah this is stupid..

Your comment is like when someone starts a conversation "well I played high level hockey so...." Usually means they are an idiot.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

The entire HNIC format is garbage, worthless. I won't miss Strombo, I don't dislike the guy overall but this fit never fit with me.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

once I read that he only started playing ice hockey a couple years ago.
    So which pro league did Ron MacLean play for again?

What about Shane Duthie, Darren Dreger, Elliot Friedman, Bob Mackenzie, Jim Hughson, Bob Cole... need I go on?

Originally posted by sputnik

Shane Duthie

On another note I really like Florida Panthers new Jersey!!!

Inspired by 101st Airborne Division

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=884701

On the same token, Penguins are going back to their old uniforms.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=887098

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by Glgyrocks
    On another note I really like Florida Panthers new Jersey!!!

Inspired by 101st Airborne Division

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=884701
    People are complaining it looks too much like a soccer jersey, but I LOVE it. Massive improvement over the old one, which was one of my least favorite NHL jerseys.

My Ride
    M3

Interesting find on twitter:

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I feel like I'm retarded reading that. Anyone understand it? Haha
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Axis powers

How the hell does a 27yo become the GM of an NHL team?

Also.. Rick Nash has listed his 12 teams he would go to, none are Canadian
    http://fulltiltnyr.com/rick-nash-sub...anadian-teams/
    Sig nuked by mod.

"Rick Nash listed the 12 teams he would go to and all of them made the playoffs last season" is a much less dramatic headline :P

Page 1 of 11 1 2 ... LastLast