Quantcast
Loud exhuast bylaw complaints - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Loud exhuast bylaw complaints

My Ride
    MR2

Default Loud exhuast bylaw complaints

Anyone have any experience with this?

My neighbour across the street with a loud truck said bylaw came to his door and told him to start his truck and rev it to 2k due to a complaint. He suspects it was a lady at the end of the street who's always on her porch smoking ciggs, watching everyone.
    I have a loud bike and I have a feeling I might get called on as well. She picked up her phone started dialling as soon as I started my bike this morning.
    Question is, can bylaw actually force me to pull my bike out of the garage, start it up, and rev it?

For the record, the lady has never spoken with either of us, and we don't rev our engines, or start up late at night or early morning. In fact, I let my bike idle for about a minute before moving it onto another street to let it finish warming up, so as not to disturb anyone. It's not a straight pipe either, its a Taylormade slip-on with dual mufflers. My neighbours truck has an audible low humming that I can hear from inside my house, but it's far from being disrupting to me.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

The real question is what is too loud? And how do they intend to measure or enforce?

Originally posted by firebane
    The real question is what is too loud? And how do they intend to measure or enforce?
    Really? It's all in the bylaws.

"Noise measured at 96 decibels (dBA) or more as measured by a sound pressure level meter at any point of reception. Where “Point of reception” means any location where sound levels are measured with a sound pressure level meter."

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Claim that the bike belongs to your wife. The complaint is nothing less than an attack on women and it will not be tolerated.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by JustinMCS

"Noise measured at 96 decibels (dBA) or more as measured by a sound pressure level meter at any point of reception. Where “Point of reception” means any location where sound levels are measured with a sound pressure level meter."
    Should we get rage involved regarding this whole sound measuring decibel crap? Probably could send him off on a rant about it.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

The thing about complaints is that you just never know who did it. You can assume it was that lady but it could be your next door neighbor even if you have a good relationship. Some people may feel it's easier to alert the city than confront you on it.

Not sure if this applies to your situation or not, but I've had neighbors before who let their diesel trucks warm up for like 10-15 mins in the morning at 5-6 AM and they are loud enough to wake up the entire cul-del-sac. Super annoying. No idea if it would fail a noise test or not but it's more than loud enough to be a daily nuisance. Thankfully I don't live anywhere near that d-bag anymore.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by JustinMCS

a nice loose definition, its what the courts love... you rev most cars WOT, especially sports cars, even stock, and they'll hit that... so much grey.

"and rev it to 2k, (shit, only at 90dBA), and bring it up to 5k (aww yeah there we go, 96.1dBA, cha ching!)"
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by firebane
    Should we get rage involved regarding this whole sound measuring decibel crap? Probably could send him off on a rant about it.
    Stuff the meter into the exhaust pipe of a stock Corolla and you'll blast past the limit because there is no definition for distance of measurement which makes this bylaw retarded.

That's my summary rant haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

Default Re: Loud exhuast bylaw complaints

Originally posted by MR2-3SGTE
    Anyone have any experience with this?

My neighbour across the street with a loud truck said bylaw came to his door and told him to start his truck and rev it to 2k due to a complaint. He suspects it was a lady at the end of the street who's always on her porch smoking ciggs, watching everyone.
    I have a loud bike and I have a feeling I might get called on as well. She picked up her phone started dialling as soon as I started my bike this morning.
    Question is, can bylaw actually force me to pull my bike out of the garage, start it up, and rev it?

For the record, the lady has never spoken with either of us, and we don't rev our engines, or start up late at night or early morning. In fact, I let my bike idle for about a minute before moving it onto another street to let it finish warming up, so as not to disturb anyone. It's not a straight pipe either, its a Taylormade slip-on with dual mufflers. My neighbours truck has an audible low humming that I can hear from inside my house, but it's far from being disrupting to me.
    Your taylor made is loud compared to stock, trust me.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 06:20 PM.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Found pic of Op's neighbor at end of street.

My Ride
    MR2

Don't cops pull people over all the time to measure noise level? I thought it was a common practice with a fixed procedure of measuring from a certain distance at a certain RPM.

Although for a bylaw complaint, it does make sense to do the measuring from where the complainer is located, since this wouldn't be a traffic violation if the vehicle isn't being driven. I was surprised they even had the authority to ask my neighbour to start up his truck and rev it only based on a complaint.

@snowcat, anything is loud compared to the stock scooter exhaust. I literally couldn't even tell if the engine was running when idling.
    The Taylormade exhaust is actually the only exhaust I've had that is almost completely masked out by wind noise while cruising. 2bro's and Toce are what I would consider loud. The bike is a '15 cbr1000rr.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Don't cops pull people over all the time to measure noise level? I thought it was a common practice with a fixed procedure of measuring from a certain distance at a certain RPM.
    Look up the noise snare thread. The bylaw is stupid because people came up with it has 0 scientific understanding how noise should be measured.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Originally posted by Aleks
    Found pic of Op's neighbor at end of street.

Tell them you sold the bike in question and continue on with your life.

My Ride
    '05 Saabaru 9-2X

Put an eBay rev limiter on it and set spark cut to 1500 rpm?

Then figure out how to make your exhaust more annoying without increasing the volume. I suggest whistle tips.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Default Re: Loud exhuast bylaw complaints

That's the same as having bylaw come over and ask you to urinate in public so that they can write you a ticket.

Its a bylaw offense that they are investigating and should not ask you to break it deliberately - even if its too loud.

Unless they are at the scene with a meter when you happen to leave with the bike, they are SOL.

POLITELY refuse.
    Last edited by revelations; 06-23-2016 at 03:40 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 06:20 PM.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

like this one? hahahaha

So, 96db thing is ACTUALLY a bylaw? I thought they scrapped it due to it being written incorrectly? Or was that the noise snare program.

Hopefully I'm not the only one that gets this.

*Edit* Got beat to the punch

Woooot Woooooo

Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast