Quantcast
AMG GT R - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: AMG GT R

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Car is ugly Maybe if you like cars designed like they are from a 1980's batman movie this one looks good... Or are philipino, looks just gaudy enough

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Another brightly painted Merc sedan dressed up for "performance" for hundreds of thousands of dollars with more power than it can actually use....

Next week a red one with an additional letter added to the end will be available! Maybe an X, or an S.
    Sedan? More power than it can use? Did you even read the article?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 08:30 PM.

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    Car is ugly Maybe if you like cars designed like they are from a 1980's batman movie this one looks good... Or are philipino, looks just gaudy enough
    Sums it up pretty well...
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

The guy that owns a $30k fwd fiesta is complaining about amg's.... There has got to be some irony in here somewhere

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    If you're going to insult us, at least spell 'Filipino' right!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It's like Sugarphreak travelled back in time 10 years and made that post.

AMGs haven't handled like shit since the late 2000s (unless you want to count the big sedans and SUVs). And ya your guess is completely wrong. The GT is a completely independent platform just for the GT. They didn't add a lot of power, and made an already great sports car better with fancy technology such as active aero. The thing was built on and for the Nurburgring.

I mean, the base GT S won drivers car of the year.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

That grille needs to change, needs to be smaller, thinner....

the lower grille looks fine, it's just the signature MB grille does not suit the lines on the nose...

Otherwise, it is one of the first MB cars I really liked the look of.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

Originally posted by rage2
    I mean, the base GT S won drivers car of the year.
    Clearly an irrelevant study as the car only comes in automatic transmission.

My Ride
    V8s

Pffftt.... 30K, you are giving me way too much credit here

Ok, fair enough... I went back and read the article. This is how my guesses about the car turned out:

1) I guessed some sort of forced induction V8.... it has a 4L twin turbo V8. So that was correct
    2) I guessed it would be between 500 and 650hp, mainly because they seem to think that anything less than 500hp is not enough, and anything over 700 is worth a lot more money. So How much did it have? 577hp... again, totally correct
    3) I guessed it would have a 0-60 around 3-ish seconds. Mainly because to get better they would need something with AWD and they only do stupid idiotic RWD cars with too much power, so it is always limited by that. So how fast... well a bit slower, but still close at 3.5 seconds. I think I am going to claim the win on this guess as well.
    4) No AMG is complete without giant custom wheels, I guessed 19 or 20"... they did "Special lightweight wheels" in a staggered 19"/20" combination. Got that one right too
    5) An AMG gimmick... had to hunt for this in the article, but they put a rear-steering system on this car. That totally qualifies IMO
    6) new grill... admittedly, I saw the photo in the thread, but this was an easy one to guess anyway. They went with verticle lines, whereas on other models they went with speed holes or mesh
    7) Painted an extreme colour, again, I saw the photo... but there is no surprise they went with lime green instead of something you can drive down the street without being an attention whore.
    8) Profit from fanboys? Probably...

So basically, I had a perfect slam dunk guess
    OK, so it sounds like you're hating on that car... but aside from the grill and color (subjective things) - why would you hate on a car with a force fed V8 that makes over 500hp in a car that handles well and does 0-60 in the 3s range? Yup, that car sounds like a total POS

My Ride
    Exploded.

That yellow one is an electric version:

That's pretty innovative IMO.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Looks sweet. But I'd just buy a standard AMG GT and get it tuned. Save 120k

I feel like that is a common mindset of people who cant afford either anyways

My Ride
    V8s

I think you are misinterpreting what I am saying. I never said it was a POS, and I am not necessarily hating on the car itself.

What I am saying is that Mercedes builds these new exciting extreme performance cars, and they keep using the same worn out formula, so they end up being predictable and lame. If you are going to build a car nobody can afford, it should at least have an effect on people, but when I look at the picture all I can think is "Didn't they do this in Yellow last month?". BORING...

We already have a German company that does this, Porsche, only they actually do it well
    I do get what you're saying, I just don't agree.

For me, predictable =/= lame. Look at the last few mid-level ferraris (430, 458, 488). Aside from the 488 going turbo, they're all evolutionary (as opposed to revolutionary, which would turn your crank), and they all follow the same formula. I definitely wouldn't say they're lame though. Also, I find it hilarious that you say porsche can do it well. Their formula has been the same for like 4 decades!

edit: I misread your porsche statement, so ignore that. I am curious about why you think they do it well vs. MB doing it poorly.

Having said all that, whether you (or I) think something is lame is obviously subjective haha, so it becomes a silly debate. I'm curious now though, say you have $300k to spend on a car like this... where is your money going?

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

So are you saying that AMG should built a new car platform and engine every 2 years? Because the AMG GT platform is practically brand new.

As for making fun of ostentatious colors. What color is your Fiesta again?

As for a car no one can afford. I imagine they have sold every single one before you ever commented on the PR.

Considering the car was built with the express purpose of going head to head with Porsche, you saying they are doing the same thing as the 911 is all the compliments this car needs.

Just my $0.02, everyone is entitled to their opinion. I think the AMG GT in all its forms is awesome. If money was no object i would buy one.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

So basically, I had a perfect slam dunk guess

I also said it would handle like poo without the traction control on. From what I am reading, they solved that by just making it impossible to turn off
    The problem here is that you're making guesses based on broad generalizations of most sports cars and skipping on what makes this car perform well. Widened suspension, active aero, but you nit pick on rear wheel steering. As for traction control, read the release carefully. You can turn it off. The 9 modes are e-diff settings that you can adjust to suit the conditions.

I think everyone else covered the remaining points, no need to circle jerk the arguments haha.

My Ride
    Bicycle

I think you are misinterpreting what I am saying. I never said it was a POS, and I am not necessarily hating on the car itself.

What I am saying is that Mercedes builds these new exciting extreme performance cars, and they keep using the same worn out formula, so they end up being predictable and lame. If you are going to build a car nobody can afford, it should at least have an effect on people, but when I look at the picture all I can think is "Didn't they do this in Yellow last month?". BORING...

We already have a German company that does this, Porsche, only they actually do it well
    You really need to drive one instead bench racing based on numbers.

It is not surgical like Porsche but it not a sledge hammer like Lambo either.

I would say from experience it's closest would be Z06 but with way better interior.

Styling is subjective. I can respect that grill is not going to win over everyone.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Race mode is typically very little electronic interference... And just go to vegas and drive them all!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast