Quantcast
AMG GT R - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: AMG GT R

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

So basically, I had a perfect slam dunk guess

One day you will be wrong at something. The perfection streak continues though.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I was actually reading up on before that post and I couldn't find any reviews or articles where they actually turned the system off and then went for a drive around a track. From the articles I read, it seemed like there was 9 systems to pick from, and if you wanted to go on the track you threw it in "race car" mode.
    That's because nobody has driven the GT R yet, just the GT and GT S. The article in the OP states specifically that it's to control the rear axel slip rate and only available when ESP is off.

I just assumed it was totally undrivable with TC off and that was why nobody was talking about it, although if you have a review the contrary I would be interested. I'd like nothing more than just to see them break the stereotype.
    You want me to find an article to disprove your assumption?

Why don't you find an article that says the GT drives like shit with TC off? Or even the last halo car, the SLS Black Series?

I'll give you a little bit of credit though, your undrivable comment was 100% true for the SL65 Black Series in terms of big dollar AMG halo cars.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 08:30 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I wasn't comparing it to the 911, and furthermore I wouldn't have guessed this would even get cross-shopped by somebody looking at 911's. I was comparing Mercedes tendency to have a tons of variants to Porsches tendencies to do the same. Only I find Porsche to be more consistent and organized in their approach Fair enough... I thought the GT was an amazing car when it came out, but I feel bored by the endless variants.

Let me put it another way.. I make a few decent posts on Beyond every so often, but I am sure people get annoyed/bored with my post whoring after a while. Basically AMG is just post whoring with the GT at this point.
    MB built the GT to compete with the 911. They're going to whore out multiple variants just like the 911 to compete at every segment the 911 sells in. MB/AMG said so themselves.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Mostly I am saying they should back off on the special editions. If Audi released a new version of the R8 every 2 months it would get just as annoying.

Forget colours, I am going to start making fun of you for using the word "ostentatious" in a sentence on Beyond

I don't really know of anybody who can afford this car. Do you?

I wasn't comparing it to the 911, and furthermore I wouldn't have guessed this would even get cross-shopped by somebody looking at 911's. I was comparing Mercedes tendency to have a tons of variants to Porsches tendencies to do the same. Only I find Porsche to be more consistent and organized in their approach

Fair enough... I thought the GT was an amazing car when it came out, but I feel bored by the endless variants.

Let me put it another way.. I make a few decent posts on Beyond every so often, but I am sure people get annoyed/bored with my post whoring after a while. Basically AMG is just post whoring with the GT at this point.
    Ummm Audi did EXACTLY that with the last R8, I have no doubts they will do the same thing with the new one.

Yes I do lol, first thing I did when I saw the release on FB was pass it on to a couple people I knew would be interested. You see how many 911 GT3's and Turbo's there are in Calgary alone? Lots of stupid wealthy people in this city.

See Rage's comment, re this being AMG's 911 killer. It's their exact target segment.

This is literally the third one in 2 years, this car was released in 2014. We only fairly recently even got the plain GT ( non s ) in Canada.

There are plenty of reasons to dislike this car, but the ones you seem to be zeroing in on seem VERY flawed lol
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 08:30 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

I disagree, if you go to the Audi Website.. they have one "R8 Coupé"

There is no R8 R or R8 GT, or R8 Black... there is an R8, and you can pick one of two engine options.

Are you just trolling at this point?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_R...2.80.932012.29

Believe what you want to believe man, they made enough versions of that car to fill a costco

There are already 4 versions of the second gen R8: R8 V10, R8 V10 plus, R8 e-Tron, and R8 V10 Spyder I would just expand your investigative horizons beyond the Canadian brand website
    Last edited by killramos; 07-18-2016 at 01:25 PM.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 08:29 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

3 Engine options across multiple countries and a drop top version hardly count as entirely new variants of the car

When I say "Audi R8"... you pretty much know what to expect
    To be fair, the GT has only 2 variants. The GT and GT S being the "base" model (differing in power and options), and the GT R being the track model.

The last gen AMG sports car, the SLS had 3 variants. The SLS/SLS GT, the SLS Black Series track special, and the electric SLS ED.

I'm not even going to count those edition 1, final edition, matt edition and other silly trim levels with stupid names. Just like the R8 they're just silly names for the same car at a different trim/package levels.

So when someone says AMG SLS or AMG GT, we all know what to expect. Except for you apparently haha.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

It's like focus, focus st, and focus rs... But apparently that's not an issue

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I am just preparing for the onslaught of GT variants to come out over the next few years though (cue my Nostradamus fans)

Frankly I have no idea what to expect when somebody says GT... could be a V8, could be an electric car, could be AWD, could have 6 wheels... all I know is it will be brightly colored and probably have a funky grill!
    I don't even know how to reply to something that hasn't happened. As for the colors, it's nothing new using silly looking colors for show cars. It's not like it only comes in that color.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Really though, for 200~300K, I expect to be able to order it in any colour I want.
    What's hilarious is that Porsche, who you claim is doing it right, doesn't allow you to do that with their halo GT3 RS. You're limited to 2 look at me colors (purple and orange), and white and silver for standard paint. If you are a chosen one, you can get them to do PTS custom color, but that's so rare and limited and only for the biggest Porsche collectors that the paint alone is commanding $150k markup in the secondary market right now. For a fucking color lol.

My Ride
    Bicycle

That is a completely different issue from the colour they pick for the marketing of the car. My underlying point about the colour is that MB can't just find a nice normal colour that actually compliments the car, it has to be some sort of an all consuming extreme attention whore paint job.
    That's quite a specific thing to pick on for a show car.

I think killramos is right that most Audi's went thru quite a few different special editions. And it's not just the R8, even S4 and RS line as well. While you may not see them in North America, the editions (usually at end of model cycle) do happen to Audi as well.

That said, the direction MB is taking with AMG does seems to be erratic for that last few years.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3