Quantcast
Bit of a guilt trip tonight. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Bit of a guilt trip tonight.

Default Bit of a guilt trip tonight.

Hey guys, dont wanna lay this on you as my first post, kinda feel like a dick but here goes.

Had a run in with a jumper tonight on my way to the gym. He tried to walk infront of my car, and a bunch of others. Pulled into the parking lot and booked it after him. I managed to talk him out of jumping off the overpass ( dont wanna say which ).

I know this was kinda dangerous, i offered him a ride home, told him that i wouldnt ask questions, or call the cops so long as i got him home. Guy was going through a rough time, and i understand that, but when i got him home i found his place in a total disaster. There were broken plates everywhere, broken windows etc, shards of glass from wall to wall.

He had mentioned he and his gf got in a pretty bad scrap, and thats why the place was like that, but i dunno... my mind was over thinking, and i thought something bad happened or was going to. Anyway, called the police, and they ended up having to take him in.

I know i should have called the cops right off the bat, but i was rattled, i just wanted to get him down, same time i feel bad about going against what i told him. I was just concerned about his and his gf's safety. So i finked 'em.

Cops went and picked him up, he's ok, and his gf wasnt there.
    I did the right thing, no? Couldnt leave the guy.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Mental health issues effect us all at one point or another. Thankfully sometimes they are temporary and can be resolved, with help. From what I've seen, they rarely go away when they are ignored or brushed aside.

If you or someone you know needs help
    http://www.distresscentre.com/
    403-266-help

Also, your employer my have an "Employee and Family Assistance Program", which can connect you to professional counselors for free.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '16 F150 Lariat, 17 Shelby GT350, '21 Explorer ST

You absolutely did the right thing. Had you not, a good chance he would have tried again. You got him the help he needs. Good job.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

A random stranger does have the power to change an outcome like this. Some of these destitute people realize that others DO care - even more so that family in many cases.

Kudos.

I hold nothing against him, im not upset about what happened, like revelations said i hope he realizes now that someone out there cares. Scariest night of my life.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

1 in 4 Canadians suffers from a mental health issue. Could be anxiety to irrational phobias to high functioning autism.

It affects us all unfortunately.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

You did the right thing, I wouldn't feel bad at all. Had you just left him, you'd be a mess wondering wtf happened to him, and if he got help or got worse.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I think you went well over and above what many would have done for a stranger. You may have saved his life.

By that point, the situation has expanded past whether you kept your word or not.

My Ride

You did the right thing. Kudos for extending a helping hand to this fellow. Definitely unfortunate circumstances, but I hope that this starts him on the path to get the help he needs.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Sometimes you have to break your word to do what's right. Mental health isn't black and white, so neither are the decisions you make to keep someone safe.

I wouldn't second guess yourself - you've at the very least given this stranger a second chance.

Good on you for doing everything you could. Most people would ignore and move on.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving