Quantcast
Tesla Driver Killed in Autopilot Mode - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Driver Killed in Autopilot Mode

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 06:25 PM.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 02:47 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Like I said, Tesla is comparing Tesla autopilot fatality stats against general fatality rate stats which isn't an apple to apples comparison. The general stats include fatalities in shit boxes and other unsafe vehicles compared to the autopilot statistics in a Model S, the safest car in the world. While Tesla doesn't actually publish the Model S fatalities per miles figure, you can find that information compiled by Tesla owners on the tesla forums and it's much better than the average.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Mibz
    Sure, but it's still 100% the responsibility of the reader to critically think about what they're reading.
    Originally posted by GT.....O?
    I still don't get how this is tesla's fault... They explicitly say you need to be observant and ready to take control. Why is it so hard to follow instructions?

The dude should have been paying attention, end of story. Its like the idiots who look down the barrel of a shotgun when it jams and blow their heads off despite common knowledge and multiple warnings.

Its just common sense. I don't feel bad for the guy, he was probably sleeping.
    It's not Tesla's fault directly, but I'll bet when the lawsuits happen, it'll be argued that it's indirectly their fault. The simplest comparison would be the Ikea dressers that are tipping over, killing kids and now finally being recalled:

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20..._dressers.html

http://fortune.com/2016/05/06/ikea-recall-dresser-malm/

And finally the huge recall:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...s-of-dressers/

I have 2 of these dressers, and it's really clear in the instructions with Druh Farell opposed warnings of the dangers of not bolting them down. End of the day, it doesn't matter, because it's the manufacturers responsibility, whether you agree or not, to make their products completely idiot proof.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 02:47 PM.

We're arguing two different things then. I'm not talking about the law here, who the fuck knows what the legal system's gonna end up deciding.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Originally posted by 01RedDX

They did mention that the fatality comes after 130 million autonomous miles, better than the on average of every 94 million miles in the US and 60 million worldwide.

I'm not sure just how meaningful of a stat this is, but I am curious to see the if the manual Tesla fatality rate is as bad as you say.
    It's tough to make that comparison directly. The NA/Europe numbers include all road fatalities, including motorcycles, drunk drivers, icy conditions, etc. Tesla's stat only covers when the autopilot is engaged, which is generally in good conditions on the highway.

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

Driving back from BC yesterday got me thinking....

How would autopilot fair in adverse weather conditions?
    Snow and ice, or down pour like we saw yesterday?
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by dezmarez
    Driving back from BC yesterday got me thinking....

How would autopilot fair in adverse weather conditions?
    Snow and ice, or down pour like we saw yesterday?
    They wont; at least not until the government invests in some type of EM/radar reflective markers for roads that allow active sensors on cars to pickup the CL and edges.

Originally posted by 01RedDX

This. I have one in my kid's room as well and the instructions that came with the big wall anchor couldn't have been more clear. I don't see how Ikea is in any way responsible for my decision beyond that point but that is the reality we live in.
    Compare how easily the IKEA dressers tip compared to any other brand and you'll know why IKEA is responsible in this case. It takes no effort at all and I bet depending on how the dressers are loaded it would even rip the anchor out of the wall.

They have a design flaw, no question about it.

Re: Tesla, they market their system as a fully automatic "Auto Pilot" system, while other manufacturers market them as driving assistance or semi-auto systems. Their legal team probably advised them against it but Musk knows best!
    ---

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 02:46 PM.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

they say the computer didnt notice the truck because of the white color and the color of the environment

however with all that metal, does the tesla not use radar to also detect the truck?

Originally posted by thetransporter
    they say the computer didnt notice the truck because of the white color and the color of the environment

however with all that metal, does the tesla not use radar to also detect the truck?
    No. information within this thread revealed that the autopilot system only uses optical devices for determining traffic in front and around it.

You didnt read the release or the thread, hey?
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Another Autopliot crash, this time a Model X.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/car...rash/86712884/

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 06:33 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Potential lawsuit based on Tesla publically "overselling" the technology:

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ential-lawsuit

“The term ‘autopilot’ has been used for decades and is understood by the masses as a situation whereby the machine (typically airplanes until recently) pilots the vehicle for the operator,” Johnson said. “You can’t sell something at the grocery store that looks like a tomato and is labeled ‘tomato’ and place in the fine print that it’s actually a grape.”

Not all legal experts agree with Johnson. “If there was a sensor, if they had the safety features in place and [Brown] ignored them, it would make a huge difference in being able to pursue a case, because at that point they’re shifting the burden from themselves to the user,” said Farid Yaghoubtil, a personal injury attorney in Los Angeles.

Asked if Joshua Brown’s family were planning to sue Tesla, his father Warren declined to comment.

Tesla’s blogpost was at pains to point out that the car reminds you to “always keep your hands on the wheel”, and saying that the system “makes frequent checks to ensure that the driver’s hands remain on the wheel”, making visual alerts and slowing the vehicle until hands are detected.

But their warnings were at odds with the impression given by Tesla’s founder Elon Musk, who has said that Tesla’s autopilot is “probably better than humans at this point in highway driving” – part of an attitude which experts have said may have masked the risks of relying too heavily on the system.
    Apparently, this accident happened in early May, and not late June. Was just disclosed publically after NHTSA announced they were investigating.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-te...-idUSKCN0ZL2UC

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/factbox-t...--finance.html

May 4: Tesla announces Q1 results; Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk says Tesla will accelerate Model 3 launch and hike total production by 10 times to 500,000 in 2018.

May 7: Joshua Brown killed in Tesla Model S crash in Florida while the car was in partial self-driving Autopilot mode; death is not made public for nearly eight weeks.

May 16: Tesla informs the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of fatal crash.

May 18: Goldman Sachs upgrades Tesla stock to Buy in the morning.

May 18-19: Tesla registers stock sale; Tesla announces and sells about $1.46 billion in stock.

June 9: Tesla cuts base price of Model S by $10,000; NHTSA discloses it is investigating consumer complaints of suspension failures on Model S.

June 22: Tesla makes all-stock offer worth up to $2.8 billion to acquire rooftop solar installer SolarCity Corp .

June 29: NHTSA informs Tesla that it is launching a preliminary investigation of the May 7 fatal crash.

June 30: NHTSA publicly discloses the Tesla crash investigation.

July 3: Tesla reports Q2 sales and production missed targets; Model S sales down more than 20 percent from Q1.

July 5: Musk tweets that fatal crash "wasn't material" to Tesla.
    Jalopnik theorizes that the Model S suffers from a huge blind spot based on the self park crash into truck incident as well as this one:

http://jalopnik.com/does-teslas-semi...rom-1782935594

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

More Tesla autopilot accidents coming out now that this is headline news.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/teslas-a...ans-1467827084

So with how Tesla has been blaming drivers for these accidents, what is the point of using autopilot if you need to be 100% focused?

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Tesla is going to be lucky to make it to the end of the year if this Autopilot failure streak keeps up.
    lol

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast