Quantcast
Tesla Driver Killed in Autopilot Mode - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla Driver Killed in Autopilot Mode

My Ride
    Is fun!

Originally posted by riander5

Um... automatic headlights will be on in the dead of night...
    Referring to those who don't turn them on at all (even to "auto") and rely on DRL'S not realising they have no rear lights at night. See so much of it!

My Ride
    Bicycle

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/01/truck...g-a-movie.html

Frank Baressi, 62, the driver of the truck and owner of Okemah Express, said the Tesla driver was "playing Harry Potter on the TV screen" at the time of the crash and driving so quickly that "he went so fast through my trailer I didn't see him."

"It was still playing when he died and snapped a telephone pole a quarter mile down the road," Baressi told The Associated Press in an interview from his home in Palm Harbor, Florida. He acknowledged he couldn't see the movie, only heard it.
    Tesla need to stop misrepresenting their tech for sound bites, then hide behind responsibility by calling it beta.

Next we are going to have people rubbing AIDS on themselves because "Biodefense" mode. Because people are stupid.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-01-2016 at 10:04 PM.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I just think this proves that the auto-pilot, like human control, is not infallible. Sole reliance on either is not inherently better than the other.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

This is not Tesla's fault.

It's the fault of bloggers and fanboys. I don't think Tesla has ever misrepresented its technology, it's the journalists and bloggers who hype this stuff without fully understanding what it is, and then the readers and owners who take that information as gospel. The hype machine created this mess, not Tesla and not Musk.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Mibz
    This is not Tesla's fault.

It's the fault of bloggers and fanboys. I don't think Tesla has ever misrepresented its technology, it's the journalists and bloggers who hype this stuff without fully understanding what it is, and then the readers and owners who take that information as gospel. The hype machine created this mess, not Tesla and not Musk.
    Tesla and Musk is the reason the hype machine is so strong. The company is genius when it comes to marketing. A bad review comes up and they'll respond diligently picking apart everything wrong with it to distract from the correct information. An incorrect good review will get ignored. Even the blog post by Tesla about this accident was brutal to read for anyone that's not sucked into the hype machine. Take that blog post and replace Tesla with Ford, and imagine Ford putting that out as a press release.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2

Tesla and Musk is the reason the hype machine is so strong. The company is genius when it comes to marketing. A bad review comes up and they'll respond diligently picking apart everything wrong with it to distract from the correct information. An incorrect good review will get ignored. Even the blog post by Tesla about this accident was brutal to read for anyone that's not sucked into the hype machine. Take that blog post and replace Tesla with Ford, and imagine Ford putting that out as a press release.
    Yeah agreed... There's so much damn spin around Tesla. Simply can't understand how people buy it hook line and sinker. Already people are trying to make excuses for the system. It's quite clear they are deploying fundamentally unsound systems and playing roulette with peoples lives.

Jeep needs that hype machine. They deploy a different shifter and get crucified because customers are idiots. Tesla autopilot plows into a semi at full speed? Oh erm user error!

I have no doubt that machines will be and probably already are better drivers than humans.

One need only look at the most difficult to understand and master vehicle, the helicopter.

It is impossible to do any of this with a human helicopter pilot, especially anything co-ordinated - like building a bridge with drones in in a matter of hours.
    Cocoa $11,000 per ton.

Sure, but it's still 100% the responsibility of the reader to critically think about what they're reading.

Everybody spins everything, Tesla isn't the only one, nor are they necessarily the best at it. They just happen to target the internet generation, and this is the result.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 06:27 PM.

My Ride
    ute

That's not true at all.

Tesla has no requirement (nor should they be expected to) drive their error rate to zero.

The data we need to look at is: miles driven per fatality in a Tesla on autonomous mode, and miles driven per fatality driven in cars without autonomous mode. My guess is that Tesla is ahead of manual driving in comparison.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

No system is foolproof. Ever.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 06:27 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Buster
    The data we need to look at is: miles driven per fatality in a Tesla on autonomous mode, and miles driven per fatality driven in cars without autonomous mode. My guess is that Tesla is ahead of manual driving in comparison.
    Tesla doesn't mention this for obvious reasons but Autonomous Tesla fatality rate is much higher than manual Tesla fatality rates at this time, but really it's just because this one accident happened so early on in autopilot "testing". It'll take more time for statistical anomalies to average out. Tesla only compares Autonomous Tesla fatalities to overall vehicle fatality rates in their blog article.

Just another case of clever statistical analysis to push their point across.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Moreover, Tesla has made it quite clear that you need to be alert and prepared to assume control at anytime when it's on "autopilot".

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Turns out the airbag didn't deploy either:

http://www.techinsider.io/tesla-airb...t-crash-2016-7

They should rename it the Tesla "Deathtrap"
    It looks like it did. Not that it matters, dude prob got decapitated.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 02:47 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

It looks like it did. Not that it matters, dude prob got decapitated.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version
    Hmm, from that picture, I wonder if trailer height is too high for Tesla's sensor to pick it up. To the software, it is clear road ahead.

Originally posted by 01RedDX

They did mention that the fatality comes after 130 million autonomous miles, better than the on average of every 94 million miles in the US and 60 million worldwide.

I'm not sure just how meaningful of a stat this is, but I am curious to see the if the manual Tesla fatality rate is as bad as you say.
    If general population understands statistic, nobody will fear terrorists and TSA won't exist.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 07-04-2016 at 04:30 PM.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Turns out the airbag didn't deploy either:

http://www.techinsider.io/tesla-airb...t-crash-2016-7

They should rename it the Tesla "Deathtrap"
    Would any other vehicles' air bag have in that case? (where the A pillar was struck first)

My Ride
    2012 F150, R6

I still don't get how this is tesla's fault... They explicitly say you need to be observant and ready to take control. Why is it so hard to follow instructions?

The dude should have been paying attention, end of story. Its like the idiots who look down the barrel of a shotgun when it jams and blow their heads off despite common knowledge and multiple warnings.

Its just common sense. I don't feel bad for the guy, he was probably sleeping.
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… That’s what gets you."

Last edited by 01RedDX; 09-23-2020 at 02:47 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast