Quantcast
Luggage question for frequent travellers. To Tumi or not Tumi? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Luggage question for frequent travellers. To Tumi or not Tumi?

Default Luggage question for frequent travellers. To Tumi or not Tumi?

Been travelling a lot lately and that probably won't change anytime in the near future. I usually buy luggage from Costco and its so so but usually craps out after a few years. I checked out the Tumi luggage at Chinook and it looks amazing. Seems super thought out with good build quality. I have splurged 10 years ago on Samsonite Black Label and that is still going strong. What are thoughts and experiences with Tumi luggage? Is it worth the big $$$$ ?
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

My Ride
    Exploded.

Tumi is awesome, and the ones I own have lasted (computer bags and messenger bags). Their Alpha 2 is their signature line, I believe. They also have the Tera line, which is the same weave they use in football gear.

Heys luggage dent like a mofo and already showing massive wear and tear after two trips.

EDIT: Rimowa is also tough-as-nails luggage, but haven't own one.
    Last edited by flipstah; 06-27-2016 at 09:59 AM.

Tumi stuff is excellent. Is it worth the price, probably not...For less money you could probably get a TravelPro or Briggs and Riley. I believe both of those brands have a superior warranty.

My Ride
    Cayman, F150, Crosstour

Originally posted by sneek
    Tumi stuff is excellent. Is it worth the price, probably not...For less money you could probably get a TravelPro or Briggs and Riley. I believe both of those brands have a superior warranty.
    Briggs & Riley. Good quality, lifetime warranty.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

If you go Tumi, wait for the sales. I bought a briefcase/carry-on combo at the Minneapolis airport for 60% off.

My Ride
    V8s

+1 for Tumi. They go on Hautelook/Nordstrom Rack for deep discount a few times a year, helps out if you have an american address to ship to, but it's worth looking.

It appears they have a few items right now:

https://www.nordstromrack.com/brands/Tumi?query=Tumi

My Ride
    12 audi a5

I have both and find the Briggs and Riley warranty a lot easier to deal with but it's substantially heavier then the tumi alpha's.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by cjblair
    +1 for Tumi. They go on Hautelook/Nordstrom Rack for deep discount a few times a year, helps out if you have an american address to ship to, but it's worth looking.

It appears they have a few items right now:

https://www.nordstromrack.com/brands/Tumi?query=Tumi
    Some decent deals, but I've seen it go cheaper (50% off).

I think TUMI getting bought out by Samsonite had affected sale pricing. TUMI is the 'luxury' brand.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I own B&R Baseline and Tumi Tegra-Lite. The B&R are almost indestructible and still look quite new after many trips. Given my experience and observations, I would buy B&R over Tumi. Their warranty is hassle-free.

I did own two Travelpros for a day before returning it.
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 06-27-2016 at 02:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    R171 and Sttutgarts SUV

Look into Rimowa. Excellent quality and quite a few of their pieces are made in Ontario as well.

I've been using Burton suitcases/bags and some have lasted close to 20 years now and probably close to 250000 miles of travel on a plane. I like the variety Burton offers as well.

From what I recall Tumi was recently purchased by Samsonite or some other huge company.

My Ride
    Exploded.

How is Rimowa? Their Topas line dents because aluminium, but how's their polycarbonate?

Also, correct on Tumi being part of Samsonite.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by flipstah
    Also, correct on Tumi being part of Samsonite.
    hmm

Samsonite took Hartmann a couple of years ago and ruined them. The classic belting leather products that were made in the USA have been all but dropped from their line and what remains is a bunch of Chinese-sourced pseudo-luxury garbage. Hard to expect any different for Tumi. Stock up now while you can.

So stock up on Tumi before they go to complete shit?

Tumi just tells others to steal the bag and/or the contents. You want to travel low-key, blend into the woodwork. Since 1999 I've had the same Eagle Creek carry-on, rubber wheels, extended handle, knapsack straps tuck away and never used, etc. Not a whisper of an issue and I've taken at least fifty trips in North America, Asia, India, Nepal, Europe, South America. So good I bought a goalie sized one as well for the longer trips. Used it only three times as I like to pack light.

I had two brand new $350 Samsonite hard-shelled suitcases in 1998, one trip to Japan and two wheels bent as well as a handle broke. Is the quality any better today? YMMV. Fixed on warranty and sold in Japan in a classified advert for $200 each. Can't have crappy luggage on the road.
    Last edited by Minimalist; 06-27-2016 at 05:27 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Recent Tumi gear are already made in China. Rimowa has a factory in Canada, as already stated in this thread

Just don't get Heys.

Originally posted by CLiVE

Briggs & Riley. Good quality, lifetime warranty.

Originally posted by locust
    I have both and find the Briggs and Riley warranty a lot easier to deal with but it's substantially heavier then the tumi alpha's.
    just a note.. teh B&R U122CX does not fit in the sizer at AC or Westjet but fits in 99% of the overhead bins...
    J

My Ride
    Subaru Outback

Never owned tumi. I do own multiple Briggs and Riley for 10 years and going strong. My wife's was taking 2 flights per week with checked luggage for 2 years and her Briggs baseline is still her goto bag.

I would also look at eagle creek for functional good quality as I have friends that have used them.

Never had to use the b and r warranty so can't comment on how it works.

My Ride
    RX300

Originally posted by Minimalist
    Tumi just tells others to steal the bag and/or the contents. You want to travel low-key, blend into the woodwork. Since 1999 I've had the same Eagle Creek carry-on, rubber wheels, extended handle, knapsack straps tuck away and never used, etc. Not a whisper of an issue and I've taken at least fifty trips in North America, Asia, India, Nepal, Europe, South America. So good I bought a goalie sized one as well for the longer trips. Used it only three times as I like to pack light.

I had two brand new $350 Samsonite hard-shelled suitcases in 1998, one trip to Japan and two wheels bent as well as a handle broke. Is the quality any better today? YMMV. Fixed on warranty and sold in Japan in a classified advert for $200 each. Can't have crappy luggage on the road.

Eagle Creek guy myself love what they offer been using their stuff for the last 10+ years
    trying is the first step towards failure

My Ride
    an econo box

As somebody who works in the industry I always tell people who travel regularly to buy high quality luggage. Yes it's expensive but you can find deals on boxing day etc. Well worth it. Cheap luggage just gets mashed.

Tumi is among the best that I've seen handle the wear and tear.

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

I've been using my Tumi Tegra-lite for almost 4 years now for mid to long trips; at least 15+ trips including a few major ones (>2 weeks/4 cities), as well as ~7 cruises, and so far so good. Everything is still working like day 1. In the same period of time my gf already gone through 3+ Samsonite/Heys so I'm very happy with my Tumi. I've also been using my Tumi Arrive Briefcase for work everyday and on >30 business trips and it's holding up equally well too, so based on personal experience. I highly recommend Tumi.

I do want to get myself a Rimowa though. They look niceeee.

My Ride
    12 audi a5

Originally posted by Mys73ri0
    just a note.. teh B&R U122CX does not fit in the sizer at AC or Westjet but fits in 99% of the overhead bins...
    They've never been a stickler yet about it not fitting the sizer however
    AC has been getting sticky on the carry on weight.

On the last few flights I took they started weighing my carry on luggage and I was just slightly over. Most B&R / Tumi carry on are about 40% of the carry on weight limit with AC.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast