Quantcast
Connecting through toronto - luggage transferred all the way through? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Connecting through toronto - luggage transferred all the way through?

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Default Connecting through toronto - luggage transferred all the way through?

Next week the family and I are all going to the southern US with westjet (although 2 flights) connecting through toronto.

Because we have 2 kids we have to take carseats which is a big pain in the arse. If I check that in at Calgary do I just pick it up at my destination or do I have to pick it up and take it through customs at Toronto?

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

I haven't gone through TO in that direction, but I came back from the US through TO once and you had to get your luggage and go through customs. It was a pain in the ass as it left us rushed for the next flight and in the end my luggage was selected for inspection so it didn't make it on the plane.

I always try make the first leg of my trip international to solve that problem.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Fairly sure you need to re-check only on the way back.

YYC --> YYZ --> USA is domestic layover so your bags enter the US from Calgary.
    USA --> YYZ --> YYC is an international layover so your bags enter Canada from Toronto.

Correct me if I'm wrong??

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Flew to Miami through Toronto earlier this year. They had the new system there, I didn't even get to see my checked bag. I had to wait in an area for my checked bag to clear first, then proceed to custom. No paper form to fill, I did all that at the check in computer kiosk thing, it gave me a ticket. Took that to see the officer. A lot of people including me were a bit confused at first.

My Ride
    Axis powers

I haven't flown through Toronto but I have gone through Vancouver

When I got off the plane in Vancouver I went through US customs, then they showed me a picture of my luggage on a screen and asked me to verify it was mine, then I went on my way. That was it

BUT, I cannot confirm that process will be the same
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Good to know. Our connection time is 2.5 hours in toronto so I think timing we should be ok. Just didnt want to lug these heavy carseats around if I didnt have to.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

When I got into the waiting area, the lady there asked people to look at the screen for your name to proceed to the next area. It was spitting out one name at a time so majority of the time there was no name on the screen so it wasn't very obvious. Everyone was like wtf am I looking at lol.

I always want to cross the border as close to home as possible...

So always through Calgary.

You usually have to bring your luggage with you at US Customs.
    2011 Ram 1500 QC Sport
    2017 Jeep Cherokee Limited

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by lilmira
    Flew to Miami through Toronto earlier this year. They had the new system there, I didn't even get to see my checked bag. I had to wait in an area for my checked bag to clear first, then proceed to custom. No paper form to fill, I did all that at the check in computer kiosk thing, it gave me a ticket. Took that to see the officer. A lot of people including me were a bit confused at first.
    Did they fix the problem where you have to exit the secured area due to customs and do security all over again? I believe YUL's renovations will have that, because it's a royal pain in the ass to go through security all over again just because of customs.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Default Re: Connecting through toronto - luggage transferred all the way through?

Originally posted by nzwasp
    Next week the family and I are all going to the southern US with westjet (although 2 flights) connecting through toronto.

Because we have 2 kids we have to take carseats which is a big pain in the arse. If I check that in at Calgary do I just pick it up at my destination or do I have to pick it up and take it through customs at Toronto?
    Did you call the airline to ask...?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by rage2

Did they fix the problem where you have to exit the secured area due to customs and do security all over again? I believe YUL's renovations will have that, because it's a royal pain in the ass to go through security all over again just because of customs.
    I don't remember if I had to go through security again, it wasn't busy at all that day.

Originally posted by rage2

Isn't all airports like this? You leave, get your luggage, then have to go through security again.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by lasimmon
    Isn't all airports like this? You leave, get your luggage, then have to go through security again.
    Yea but there were talks of changing this starting with YUL.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Call WestJet, policies change and relying on random past experience is no way to have a good future experience. Well unless you are certain your wife will understand...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Don't need to call Westjet. I can tell you exactly what happens if you're connecting from a Westjet flight to a Westjet flight.

Step 1 - Arrive at Toronto Pearson

Your flight will be arriving at Terminal 3 and departing in Terminal 3. Once you're in the terminal, follow the purple "Connections" or purple "A" Gates signs to guide you out to the U.S. Connections area only if your baggage is tagged to final destination.

Step 2 - Check that your baggage is Tagged to final destination

Confirm with your arriving airline that your baggage is tagged to your final destination. If it isn't, then proceed to “Baggage Claim”, pick up your baggage in the reclaim area and then head to your departing airline counter for baggage retagging.

Step 3 - Pick up your baggage

Follow the purple "Connections" or purple "A" Gates signs to guide you to the connections carousel and pick up your baggage. You'll need to take it with you to recheck it.

Step 4 - Go to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (USCBP)

Proceed to U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Step 5 - Drop off your baggage

Drop off your baggage at the baggage drop-off belt.

Step 6 - Head to your departure gate

Go through security screening. Proceed to the security screening checkpoint. There are various flight information screens throughout the terminal that will point you in the direction of your departing gate.

Got all this from here: http://www.torontopearson.com/Connecting.aspx

Pick up bags, drop off bags, and go through security again. Have fun haha.

You can check your bag tags in Calgary to see if they're tagged all the way to your final destination but unless you booked on some discount website with mixed airlines your bags will be tagged to your final destination.

Once you land in Toronto you'll likely need to grab the your seats to clear customs then drop them back off for your connecting flight. If the automated system has been implemented in Toronto (wasn't last time I connected through there) you won't need to pick up your bags, you just need to visually confirm it on a screen as you go into customs area.

Originally posted by lasimmon

Not all just some. New terminal in Calgary will allow connecting international/US passengers to remain post-security. No need to get bags and recheck them either.
    ---

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I booked through work for my flight. And expedia for my family flights. Yeah I did call westjet and the lady was super rude basically telling me that they can / and will seperate my wife and kid (3 yo) from sitting next to each other, also that they dont have to ensure that you are sitting with your kids (which is bs as I have their set of tarrifs and regulations regarding this printed out in my bag)
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    V167

My wife just flew through Toronto yesterday, onwards to Boston. Westjet. Bags are tagged through to final destination, Boston in this case.

You do not have to pick up your bags. Picture verification of your bags is done, then customs. Straight forward process.

Originally posted by nzwasp
    I booked through work for my flight. And expedia for my family flights. Yeah I did call westjet and the lady was super rude basically telling me that they can / and will seperate my wife and kid (3 yo) from sitting next to each other, also that they dont have to ensure that you are sitting with your kids (which is bs as I have their set of tarrifs and regulations regarding this printed out in my bag)
    Is asking to sit with your kids too much for an airline these days? I understand there is only West Jest and the other assholes across the street for competition in Canada but this is idiotic.

I'm trying to avoid going through the USA at all when it comes to flying. My trip to South America via Houston in February was the final straw. The entire country is a paranoid police state hoping to have a major crisis at an airport so they can pile on more restrictions for all of us.
    Last edited by Minimalist; 07-07-2016 at 04:55 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by Minimalist
    Is asking to sit with your kids too much for an airline these days? I understand there is only West Jest and the other assholes across the street for competition in Canada but this is idiotic.
    Only if you're cheap and don't pay the extra $5 a person to get your seats assigned.

You pay bottom dollar pricing for a flight, you're going to get bottom of the barrel service.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast