Quantcast
Cyclist hit by car - Need Advice - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyclist hit by car - Need Advice

My Ride
    2005 F350

Originally posted by benyl
    I love how beyond always complains to what suits them.

When a cyclist dismounts and walks you get: Fuuuug, he is walking so slow fucking up traffic.
    When a cyclist rides across you get: Fuuuuug, YOU BROKE THE LAW!
    I think the dismount and walk thing is stupid. why would a cyclist walk their bike when they can ride it and be through that much quicker? but for fuck sake, at least stop before proceeding through.

this is what I'm teaching my kids an intersection, stop and wait for traffic to acknowledge you. get on your bike and get across the street as fast as possible. no point in walking and no point in making people wait longer than necessary.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I wonder if there are any cases of cyclists being killed in calgary from riding across the crosswalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    06 S2000

I think the whole dismount thing has more to do with the mentality of being a pedestrian.

Also, there's a bylaw about not riding on sidewalks in Calgary if you're over the age of 14. Pathways are fine, sidewalks are not.

http://www.bikecalgary.org/safety
    http://www.calgary.ca/cps/Pages/Traf...le-safety.aspx

Are cyclists bound by the rules of the road?
    Yes, cyclists are bound by the rules of the road. This includes a bylaw that only allows children under 14 years old to ride bikes on the sidewalk.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf

Wait, what?
    gender neutral ticket

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by Thaco
    I unfortunately have to agree with the majority on this, you were partially at fault and deserved the ticket.

HOWEVER, the fact that the driver of the car did not receive a ticket, is simply CPS and their sexist ways... i swear every single encounter i hear of with them, the response is sexist and always favors females. I'm sure its not every officer, but it does seem like its becoming more and more common.
    Definitely homophobic, we know for sure the cycle was bi.
    Too loud for Aspen

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 06:37 PM.

OP, I am truly sorry for your injury and damages but what you did is one of my biggest pet peeves about cyclists. I have been an avid cyclist in the past and still do cycle but if I were to use a crosswalk, I always got off of my bicycle and walked it across that crosswalk. I wouldn't start walking and then hop back on or ride it across with one foot on the bike - I walked. As a cyclist, it infuriates me when people stop at intersections to let me go even though they have the right of way and as a motorist, it drives me crazy to see motorists do this.

Learn from this mistake of yours and do the right thing next time and be thankful that you're alive and did not cause any further emotional trauma to the motorist who hit you.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by SOAB
    sounds to me like you approached the intersection while your light was green and just proceeded through and got hit. if you had stopped, then proceeded through, you would've been fine. if you want to ride straight through a green light like a car, you should be on the correct side of the road, on the road and not the sidewalk.
    /thread

A bike path with a pedestrian crossing connecting it and a large noise abatement fence to boot. Classic.

Yes it is unsafe and stupid design. You're right to be upset. You should take your story to your councilor saying how they can justify having bike connectivity that requires dismounts in the first place because of unsafe design.

But, you still managed to be in the wrong. Sucks, but that is the way the system is set up.

Originally posted by Type_S1
    (no you are not a cyclist, Lance Armstrong was a cyclist, you are a bicycle rider)
    Just like how you aren't a driver, Michael Schumacher was a driver, you're a vehicle operator?

Originally posted by Xtrema

/thread
    Can't really be /thread because SOAB goes on in a later post to explain how he does things and is training his kids which is the exact opposite of what most beyond members in this thread are calling for.

sounds to me like you approached the intersection while your light was green and just proceeded through and got hit. if you had stopped, then proceeded through, you would've been fine. if you want to ride straight through a green light like a car, you should be on the correct side of the road, on the road and not the sidewalk.
    He was on a "bike path", a path that expects him to become a pedestrian to cross safely. Imagine if a driver was expected to stop at a green light in order to cross safely, how long do you think such a system would be allowed to continue?

you can't have the laws both ways. either you're a pedestrian or you're a motorist. the cop was right to give you a ticket.
    Or you can acknowledge that the system is flawed if it is trying to force cyclists to be either a pedestrian or a motorist, when they are clearly neither.

I think the dismount and walk thing is stupid. why would a cyclist walk their bike when they can ride it and be through that much quicker? but for fuck sake, at least stop before proceeding through.
    Isn't this thread exactly the reason why you should dismount off your bike?

When I bike to work I am shocked that there aren't more accidents. So many cyclists run 4 way stops and their excuse is because they are clipped in. I think on the varsity bike path, I have seen less than 5 people come to a complete stop over the last 3 years! Getting off your bike might ruin your stava time, but this is Calgary where drivers are never paying attention.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 06:37 PM.

Cyclists who use the road rules when convenient, and the pedestrian/sidewalk space and rules when convenient are a daily annoyance for me. They don't stop at stop signs, they ride through crosswalks, and the worst is when they don't feel like going to the other side of the road to use the bike lane so they ride on the sidewalk instead on the side of the road they prefer. It sucks you got injured, but if you're on your bike you aren't a pedestrian.

My Ride
    2005 F350

Originally posted by sneek

Isn't this thread exactly the reason why you should dismount off your bike?

When I bike to work I am shocked that there aren't more accidents. So many cyclists run 4 way stops and their excuse is because they are clipped in. I think on the varsity bike path, I have seen less than 5 people come to a complete stop over the last 3 years! Getting off your bike might ruin your stava time, but this is Calgary where drivers are never paying attention.
    no, there is a difference between just plowing through an intersection at speed and stopping at a crosswalk and then continuing on through quickly.

if you don't stop before crossing, its your fault regardless of whether your on a bike or walking, imo.

My Ride
    Silverado

really should have checked to see if anyone was coming. Driver could have easily stopped, was looking left to ensure oncoming traffic was clear and then proceeded.

My Ride
    2005 F350

Originally posted by kertejud2

He was on a "bike path", a path that expects him to become a pedestrian to cross safely. Imagine if a driver was expected to stop at a green light in order to cross safely, how long do you think such a system would be allowed to continue?
    you just made my argument for me.

as a pedestrian, do you just run across the street without looking for traffic? even at a crosswalk, you should always, always stop and make sure that there is no traffic.

so this "pathway" crosses a major intersection in a community. if you are crossing in a crosswalk, stop then continue when safe. if you want to ride through a green without stopping like a car would, get off the sidewalk and follow the rules of the road.

how hard is it to understand?

My Ride
    Silverado

well technically the pathway ends there and becomes sidewalk. Guess there should be 5 or 6 signs there in both directions to remind people.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

Lucky you didn't damage her car, always wondered how insurance would work if you damage someone's car while biking
    Last edited by austic; 07-07-2016 at 09:37 AM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    well technically the pathway ends there and becomes sidewalk. Guess there should be 5 or 6 signs there in both directions to remind people.
    According to what I see on streetview, the bike path is on the east side of Mount McKenzie Drive. West of it, there is nothing indicative of it being a bike path at all.
    Link

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast