Quantcast
Cyclist hit by car - Need Advice - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Cyclist hit by car - Need Advice

My Ride
    2008 BMW M Coupe

Originally posted by SOAB

the thing is you can't be 100% sure that she didn't stop but you, the cop and the driver all agree that you did not stop.
    The witness behind her has in a police statement that she did not stop.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by mgwatson
    I'm fully aware that I sound like a typical whiny cyclist, and before I started riding my bike to work everyday for the past 3 months, I was wearing the same hat as most of you were that said "I F*CKING HATE CYCLISTS", but the past 3 months has changed my perspective on things, and some things need to change in this city.
    I went from a car guy to a cycle to work commuter for 3 summers. I still fucking hate cyclists that don't follow the rules. As a car guy that biked to work, I understood the mentality of the driver and I got up to speed on the rules of cycling in Calgary. Bike Calgary has a page with a lot of good info:

http://www.bikecalgary.org/safety

I never filtered on the road, never rode on sidewalks or crosswalks, basically anything that cyclists did to piss me off as a driver, I wouldn't do. Much safer and more enjoyable that way.

I honestly believe if every cyclist puts themselves in a driver's shoes and understands their actions from a driver's perspective, we wouldn't even need bike lanes. I had zero problems sharing the road with cars. Maybe it's time for better training for drivers and cyclists.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2005 F350

The witness behind her has in a police statement that she did not stop.
    I stand corrected.

regardless, my stance on this doesn't change. a bicycle rider that wants to use the crosswalk should stop before crossing. not only because its the law, but for your own safety. the law doesn't protect you from death.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    2008 BMW M Coupe

I stand corrected.

regardless, my stance on this doesn't change. a bicycle rider that wants to use the crosswalk should stop before crossing. not only because its the law, but for your own safety. the law doesn't protect you from death.
    Amen brother. I learned a hard lesson yesterday. Trust me, I didn't enjoy getting hit by a car lol. As a relative novice to cycling, I'm learning new things everyday.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Originally posted by rage2

http://www.bikecalgary.org/safety
    That's a great little handbook.

Here's some pertinent quotes from it:
    • You should walk your bicycle on pedestrian crosswalks and overpasses. If you walk your bike across a crosswalk you have the right-of-way. Legally, you do not have the right-ofway if you are riding your bicycle.
    For example, as a vehicle a cyclist must yield to pedestrians, stop at stop signs, and travel with the flow of traffic. Conversely, motorists should not give cyclists the right-of-way at crosswalks unless they are walking their bicycle. When you walk your bike you are a pedestrian. When you ride your bicycle you are a vehicle.

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

I am going to call the constable today and ask why she was not also issued an infraction. We'll see where I get.

because female, that is all.
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

Originally posted by rage2

I honestly believe if every cyclist puts themselves in a driver's shoes and understands their actions from a driver's perspective, we wouldn't even need bike lanes. I had zero problems sharing the road with cars. Maybe it's time for better training for drivers and cyclists.
    And seeing as cyclists are the more vulnerable of the two I would hope this training includes putting every driver in the cyclists shoes and I focused understanding that the onus of safety should focus on the ones capable of causing the most harm rather than the ones most likely be affected by it.

I'm only three pages in so perhaps this has been mentioned already. How the heck did the op know what colour the drivers light was? He can only see his light and everyone knows that once you get on a bike all lights are green... and as mentioned already how does he know she didn't stop?

I suggest the op post the exact same post on bike Calgary dot org and see what the responses are.

I knew as soon as I read this first thing this morning that this was going to be good.

My Ride
    2005 F350

Originally posted by kertejud2

And seeing as cyclists are the more vulnerable of the two I would hope this training includes putting every driver in the cyclists shoes and I focused understanding that the onus of safety should focus on the ones capable of causing the most harm rather than the ones most likely be affected by it.
    that's fucken stupid. why should I be keeping an eye out for vehicles riding through crosswalks?

the law is clear. want to be treated like a pedestrian, walk your fucking bike. want to get hit by cars, just ride around without a care in the world hoping that the crosswalk lines will keep you safe.

that's fucken stupid. why should I be keeping an eye out for vehicles riding through crosswalks?

the law is clear. want to be treated like a pedestrian, walk your fucking bike. want to get hit by cars, just ride around without a care in the world hoping that the crosswalk lines will keep you safe.
    So why are you encouraging your kids to break the law again?

nvm

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

As a pedestrian, cyclist, and driver, the onus shouldn't be on the ones capable of causing more harm. It should be on the ones that are most susceptible to harm regardless of what rules are in place. Sure you can win "the right of way" contest, but you lose with your life, and that's not worth the gamble.

As a pedestrian or cyclist, I don't trust drivers following the rules and expect any one of them to fuck up and kill me. I'm not going to walk through a green crosswalk light without checking to make sure no idiot is barreling through the intersection ready to kill me.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Thank you for saying that, because I just got off the phone with her insurance company. She's decided to go through insurance and they basically assured me that I'm not at-fault in this whole thing. The plot thickens..

I was very worried about the fact that I have a ticket and she does not which makes me 100% at-fault but that is not at all the case. Police have nothing to do with determining the guilty party, they are just issuing tickets because it's their "job".

My mind has been put to ease, but let's continue this rather engaging conversation lol.
    This can change. Back earlier my friend has been told the same thing, but got a bill for the damage 2-3 months later. I wouldn't think I am out of the woods yet.

My Ride
    2005 F350

So why are you encouraging your kids to break the law again?
    I encourage my kids to take personal responsibility for their own well being, unlike you.

I have no problems with people riding their bike across the street. but they need to stop first and make their intentions known to other vehicles.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

I can't believe you didn't damage the car! You're a big dude! Haha... Try and get page two of the police report from the station, it will have the officer's notes on it. That's what I had to do when I had a non-yielding red light turner hit me while I was on the motorcycle to get the blame off of me

I encourage my kids to take personal responsibility for their own well being, unlike you.

I have no problems with people riding their bike across the street. but they need to stop first and make their intentions known to other vehicles.
    Why does making your intentions known make it okay to break the law?

My Ride
    VTAKK

When i was young and dumb, I darted out into the street and got a love tap from a car. A smack upside the head and a bruised leg later and I learned to look before I ventured onto the road.

My Ride
    2008 BMW M Coupe

Originally posted by Star1995
    [B]I'm only three pages in so perhaps this has been mentioned already. How the heck did the op know what colour the drivers light was? H
    Because when mine is green, hers is red lol. Quite simple really. Agreed with the BikeCalgary posting as well. I honestly should have known better by posting this up here.

My Ride
    V8s

It doesn't.

It just decreases your chances of getting plowed into by a car, go figure.

My Ride
    2005 F350

its like I'm debating with a retard.

let me type this out slowly for you. I don't give a shit about people that want to ride their bike across the street regardless of what the law says. I want them to make their intentions known so I don't run them the fuck over. did you read that clearly? or do you need it in another language?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast