Quantcast
Viral Stampede CPS Takedown Video - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Viral Stampede CPS Takedown Video

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by msommers
    Back to the situation, is there ever justification for punching some dude on the ground?
    If someone is uncooperative, the police have a large discretion to get them under control, especially if the public's safety is at (potential) risk.

So yes, there is complete justification. As said, just because someone is on the ground, does not mean they are under control. They still need to be cuffed (with hands behind their back) and restrained from kicking.

Some scrawny guys have mad rage powers, and of course, BECAUSE the cops are actually trying NOT to do real physical damage to a person, it makes it that much harder.

Taking someone out with no regard for their personal well being is WAY easier than trying to restrain somebody while not doing actual damage besides "wah, he punched me!"

But that is just my opinion

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Originally posted by blitz
    Can people just proclaim that things are viral now?

It only has 10k views and I haven't seen it referenced anywhere except on Beyond.
    Beyond click-bait pros will stop at nothing when making a thread title

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Back to the situation, is there ever justification for punching some dude on the ground? I'm being totally serious here. It seems like they were trying to roll him over to put handcuffs on him, but he seemed to be resisting from, what it appears, to be covering his face from getting punched.

I honestly curious if punching some unarmed crazed dude to stun them is ever warranted or even a tactic suggested to use in some scenarios.

Who knows what happened here in its entirety, maybe the guy on the ground said I'm gonna stab you with my knife
    Yes, there is absolutely good reasons to punch someone when they're on the ground. I prefer knees in the kidneys, personally.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Yes, there is absolutely good reasons to punch someone when they're on the ground. I prefer knees in the kidneys, personally.
    Can you expand on this?

Just to be clear, I'm not completely against it if it's warranted. I just don't know when that would be, why it's used or if training suggests using that tactic.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Can you expand on this?

Just to be clear, I'm not completely against it if it's warranted. I just don't know when that would be, why it's used or if training suggests using that tactic.
    If we're trying to get your arms behind your back, and they're under you, and you're not listening to my verbal commands, I'm going to knee you as hard as I can until you give them to me. And if that fails, I'm going to hurt you any way I can so that I get control of your arm. If you're being a jackass and not doing what I tell you, I'll use whatever force needed to make you comply, because I don't know what you're doing under your body with your hands, and I'm sure as hell not waiting till I see a knife/needle/gun for me to hit you.

Some people do this by punching people in the face, but I don't like it. You break hands punching heads, and I don't need that.

I mean... LEOs CAN'T lose fights. That's how you get seriously hurt, or die. Fair fights are ones you win.

I should expand a little: If I'm on your back, and you're on the ground, shit's already got to the point where we're beyond talking and a little gentle pressure to make you comply. Most people go into handcuffs without incident, standing up.

ALSO: While I'm on a roll here (and bored at work) everyone is always quick to say "well there's three guys on him". It's usually almost better this way. Generally, with more officers, there's much less force involved. The only time I've come close to seriously injuring someone at my job in four years was working alone. What can be talked down with two officers sometimes can't be with one, and if you're coming at me and I'm alone, I'm probably not going to wrestle with you (hey, I'm not a huge guy), but I'm going to spray you, or if I feel threatened enough, use my baton. And that thing is pretty goddamned dangerous. You can do some massive damage with it if you hit a guy right (or wrong, depending), and you can cripple people with them. So yeah... there's that to consider too.
    Last edited by 95EagleAWD; 07-11-2016 at 05:00 PM.

Gotta catch 'em all? Would have been hella funny if someone threw a capture ball at him.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by codetrap
    The time for reasonable comments has long passed. Now is the time for finger pointing, teenage drama and name calling. Your reasonable comments and views have no place in this environment. Be gone with ye with your lack of unreasonable extrapolations and lack of jumping to conclusions!
    This thread has actually been pretty good :P. The CP thread on this video has two pages of people claiming that CPS changed to black and white cars to look more intimidating, and the if you browsed the reddit thread on this without watching the video you'd think it was worse than the LAPD beating Rodney King

Showed up shortly after this happened, but my friends relayed the story to me after I got there. Guy deserved it, was yelling, throwing shit, trying to start a fight with some guys, does burnouts on the street, gets out of his car to fight the guys, cops get to him first, he swings and gets his ass kicked.

Pretty much everyone I talked to said it was justified, which is ironic considering they hate Gang Suppression.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 06:40 PM.

My Ride
    something green

So the guy got a beating for stunting? That's the strange thing here, if he was defiant and physical, shouldn't his charges in the end be something more severe than stunting?
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Originally posted by Maxt
    So the guy got a beating for stunting? That's the strange thing here, if he was defiant and physical, shouldn't his charges in the end be something more severe than stunting?
    No. Sometimes it's not worth it to charge someone.

And he didn't get a beating for stunting. He got arrested for what he did afterwards.

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

No. Sometimes it's not worth it to charge someone.

And he didn't get a beating for stunting. He got arrested for what he did afterwards.
    Worth it to charge him with stunting, but not assault? Serious enough action for punches to the head and no charge? If so was such a problem why not go for a charge with some weight instead of a traffic summons.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

The fact is, when it comes to cops' orders in regards to your hands, positioning, etc, you are best off voluntarily complying if you don't want the potential of being forced to do so.

This doesn't mean you have to agree with their reasoning for asking you to do these things. It doesn't mean you have to agree with the fact they engaged you in the first place... whether it be walking up to you, pulling you over, or otherwise. If you don't, there are avenues they have set up which to launch your complaint, and if you still don't feel like you've gotten anywhere, media and social media are further avenues you can take which *can* gain traction if you have a reasonable case.

But at the time, be polite and as long as they are being reasonable, do what they say. I know, we have rights and all that, and nobody should be forced to do anything, blah blah blah. I get all that, and completely agree. This isn't about that - again, refer to my mention of avenues to complain if you felt like they did anything that was unacceptable.

Not complying is not going to do anything other than get yourself in pain, in trouble, or both.

My Ride
    Mazda 3

Didn't the same thing happen last year relatively close to this location too. Its just the way they're trained to strike.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1914823/wa...ays-inspector/
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Kloubek

But at the time, be polite and as long as they are being reasonable, do what they say.
    Fact is, 99% of the time the person being arrested wasn't being "polite" or reasonable though.

Taking someone down is a last resort The cops don't tackle someone who willingly allows themselves to be cuffed.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 08:26 PM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Fact is, 99% of the time the person being arrested wasn't being "polite" or reasonable though.

Taking someone down is a last resort The cops don't tackle someone who willingly allows themselves to be cuffed.
    Generally, I'd say that's probably true, but I think takedowns happen more than truly necessary. It SHOULD be a last resort, and probably is in most cases, but I also think there are cops who expect immediate compliance and if they don't get it, they get angry and end up taking someone down when they really didn't need to. Heck, it happens on COPS all the time.

But regardless of reason, if you don't want to open yourself up to that potential, it is best just to do what they say from the beginning. Then you can launch a formal complaint afterwards if you feel you were wronged.

In this case, there were clearly events that led up to the takedown and I doubt the cops were chatting with the guy over whether Subway's new Korean BBQ Pulled Pork is a tasty flavour or not. (It is). Clearly, he was resisting compliance and there was probably good reason for him to be taken down. It is impossible to either agree with or condemn the police based on a video which obviously starts well after events have already transpired. People tend to be so quick these days to claim police brutality when they really don't know the facts.
    Last edited by Kloubek; 07-12-2016 at 12:53 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Kloubek

Generally, I'd say that's probably true, but I think takedowns happen more than truly necessary.
    I think anyone can agree with this statement. At the same time, I'd caution using some data points to come to that conclusion; we get a lot of news from the USA up here, and it is not fair to characterize our police as being like theirs, even though it is easy to do when it blends together over the years. Its just very easy to think the problem is more magnified than it is up here.

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

Originally posted by Maxt

Worth it to charge him with stunting, but not assault? Serious enough action for punches to the head and no charge? If so was such a problem why not go for a charge with some weight instead of a traffic summons.
    Because the actions didn't warrant a charge?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I think anyone can agree with this statement. At the same time, I'd caution using some data points to come to that conclusion; we get a lot of news from the USA up here, and it is not fair to characterize our police as being like theirs, even though it is easy to do when it blends together over the years. Its just very easy to think the problem is more magnified than it is up here.
    Absolutely. In fact, my interactions with Calgary police have generally been quite positive, and I felt they acted with expected professionalism, with only a couple of minor exceptions.

I would imagine that police in Canada, on a whole, are far more likely to be more patient and docile than their American counterparts. With that said, all the same driving factors that cause cops in the States to overreact still exist here - just perhaps to a lesser degree. That's why I can say pretty confidently that there are still needless escalations on behalf of the police here as well. I just don't feel this was likely one of them.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast