Nice, France Attack - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Nice, France Attack

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Default Nice, France Attack

30+ dead so far.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...d-nice-france/

France’s national holiday turned bloody and violent Thursday night in the southern city of Nice, as a truck crashed into a crowd of Bastille Day revelers, killing dozens of people and gunmen attacked several tourist haunts throughout the city.

“Dear people of Nice, the driver of a truck appears to have caused tens of deaths. Stay for the moment in your home. More info to come,” former Nice Mayor Christian Estrosi said, according to a Washington Times translation of his tweet.

French TV stations had reported 30 dead by early Friday local time, but the Daily Mail said the death toll was 50, factoring in multiple running gun battles in a broad attack that appeared to mimic November’s Paris attacks.

According to the Daily Mail, “it is believed the gunmen are holding hostages in the Meridien Hotel and the Buffalo Grill restaurant … The RAID anti-terror squad has been deployed to the city.”

A witness told Fox News that one gunman had fired into the crowd before police killed him.

Multiple videos posted on BreakingNews.com showed people fleeing in panic from the truck attack, though the crash itself wasn’t shown.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility but according to the Twitter account of the terrorism-news portal TRACTerrorism.org, Islamic State affiliated Telegram accounts were posting images from Nice.

Islamist terror groups, sometimes using native-French Muslims, have targeted France repeatedly in recent years and the use of vehicles and car bombs are among their known tactics.

The pattern of a bomb and multiple simultaneous attacks in one of France’s major cities also mirrors the

A terror attack in France on July 14 would be as symbolic as one in the U.S. on July 4. Bastille Day is France’s biggest public holiday, celebrating a Parisian mob’s storming of the eponymous royal prison on that date in 1789, kicking off the French Revolution — the founding event of modern France.

Jonathan Sisler, an Ohio University student attending the parade with three friends during a European vacation, tweeted from the scene “Vehicular attack on Bastille Day crowd in #Nice, France tonight. Mere feet away. Almost trampled by the fleeing crowd. Glad to be alive.”
    Who needs a bomb when you can just rent a truck.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Jesus, those poor people.

My Ride
    Grimace

What a wonderful world we live in

Do they just especially hate France?

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Originally posted by schocker
    What a wonderful world we live in

Do they just especially hate France?
    A lot of it has to do with our (France) explicit separation of church and state. The antithesis of ISIS.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    ute

I am an avid reader of Scott Adams blog.

He is doing an analysis of the Trump/Clinton campaign from the perspective of persuasion techniques. His one on how Trump used the immigration ban as a solid piece of confirmation bias persuasion is particularly interesting.

TL;DR: Trump made a policy suggestion that sounded crazy. But he knew that he would just need to sit and wait for Islamic terror events, which would be inevitable. Every event would cause the policy to ban Muslims less and less crazy to the average person, because it is the only solution actually presented for the problem.

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/1459106...roposal-update

Trump’s Muslim Immigration Proposal (Update)
    Posted June 14th, 2016 @ 9:25am in #Trump #clinton2016

My mother often quoted an old-timey saying: “You can get used to hanging if you do it long enough.”

That’s good homespun psychology. Humans will see nearly anything as normal if they are exposed to it long enough. I’m sure ISIS fighters feel they are acting in a normal way after committing several atrocities in a row. We humans can get used to anything.

Consider Trump’s proposal to ban all Muslim immigration until we figure out what is going on. Remember how radical that sounded months ago? Remember how – even if you liked the idea – it sounded outrageously racist, even though Islam is open to all races? To most American ears, Trump’s proposed immigration ban sounded inappropriate and far-fetched EVEN IF YOU LIKED IT.

Time passes.

Innocent people die.

And as humans do, we get used to whatever is in our environment, no matter how outrageous it once seemed. And we’ve all been living for months with the idea of Trump’s temporary Muslim immigration ban. We’re getting used to it.

I just took this poll on Twitter. It is non-scientific (to the extreme), but I’ll bet the rest of the country is feeling the tug of Trump’s persuasion.

Trump has at least five elements of persuasion working for him on this topic.

1. Mindshare: Trump captured headlines on this topic months ago with his shocking idea of temporarily halting Muslim immigration. We can’t stop talking about it, especially after Orlando. We humans assign high importance to whatever we are forced to think about the most. And Trump owns your thoughts for this topic.

2. Confirmation Bias Trigger: Trump knew there would be more terror attacks either here or abroad. And with each attack, your mind goes to Trump’s plan because it is the only DISTINCT and new plan you know about. You automatically start to frame the problem the way Trump framed it.

3. Time: People can get used to any outrageous idea over time. Trump has time.

4. Fear and Uncertainty: In times of fear and uncertainty, people gravitate toward the strongest personality with a clear plan. That is Trump. Clinton’s “more of the same” plan might be the best strategy, but it is unclear to voters HOW doing more of the same thing could get a better result.

5. Anchor - High Opening Bid: Trump’s original idea was to temporarily ban ALL Muslim immigration. Based on his speech last night, he has moderated that to be a temporary ban on Muslims coming from countries where we know we have a special problem. Compared to his opening bid of a complete ban, our minds start to see this limited ban as relatively less outrageous.

Note: I still endorse Hillary Clinton for my personal safety as a resident of California. It isn’t safe to do otherwise where I live.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Jesus H!

This MUST be in retaliation to Francis Hollande's statement that they were removing France's state of emergency. Brilliant strategy I must say.

The scary part is, I've been saying this all along. It takes very few people to spread true terror and fear in democratic societies since the rest of us are so peaceful, and the nature of our countries so grounded in freedom.

Edit-
    BBC reporting 60+ dead now

My Ride
    Lariat

WTF is wrong with some people. RIP
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

now saying 73 dead.

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

70+++ dead...

I told you this shit is going to become a regular occurance. France is getting hit hardest because their the biggest importer of Muslims in the world. and again, I've said it before and and I'll say it again. Islam does not mix and does not belong in western civilization.

I'm just wondering. at what point... are normal people gonna snap? Its defiantly gonna happen in our lifetime, and it won't be pretty. Maybe we'll go back to the good ol days. When leaders and rulers gonna start losing their heads for bringing us into all this shit.

If you wanna import 3rd world trash. dont complain when you start feeling like your living in a dumpster. Europe is done. RIP

My Ride
    e92

70+++ dead...

I told you this shit is going to become a regular occurance. France is getting hit hardest because their the biggest importer of Muslims in the world. and again, I've said it before and and I'll say it again. Islam does not mix and does not belong in western civilization.

I'm just wondering. at what point... are normal people gonna snap? Its defiantly gonna happen in our lifetime, and it won't be pretty. Maybe we'll go back to the good ol days. When leaders and rulers gonna start losing their heads for bringing us into all this shit.

If you wanna import 3rd world trash. dont complain when you start feeling like your living in a dumpster. Europe is done. RIP
    You sir, are a fucken idiot.

Damn, RIP unlucky bystanders.

Imagine if he rented a combiner or stole a larger piece of farm equipment.
    0.5 gram microsd delivered by 12,000 pound combustion vehicle and driver.

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

^ haha maybe. but im right. and have the ballz to say it like it is. truth hurts

My Ride
    e92

^ haha maybe. but im right. and have the ballz to say it like it is. truth hurts
    "Ballz." I won't waste anymore of my time responding to your idiocy. "Lolz."

My Ride
    Horse

Originally posted by ZenOps
    Damn, RIP unlucky bystanders.

Imagine if he rented a combiner or stole a larger piece of farm equipment.
    They should have, then he'd be stuck outside of the city due to the narrow roads.

My Ride
    NC1

Nice....Not really. Fuck.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Silverado

damn RIP

Video of the carnage:

*NSFW* *NSFL* *DEATH*

https://streamable.com/6722