Quantcast
Charbar restaurant in East Village - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Charbar restaurant in East Village

Default Charbar restaurant in East Village

Has anyone gone to it yet?

I see they have a 32 oz Porterhouse steak.

Not sure if it's worth the price. $96

Default Re: Charbar restaurant in East Village

Originally posted by C_Dave45
    Has anyone gone to it yet?

I see they have a 32 oz Porterhouse steak.

Not sure if it's worth the price. $96
    I've been there. Food was OK but not great, I liked their pizza and we had a lot of the appetizers and a few other entrees to try. There are much better restaurants in Calgary IMHO.

Service wasn't great. I was there for a client event and we had spent ~$800 by that point, were just on dessert, and they made us pack up mid-way through eating dessert and move outside in the rain to free up our table. Rather than comp the next guests a drink at the bar while they waited at most 5-10 minutes for us to finish up, we had to pack up everything and move outside with half eaten desserts. They did not warn us before hand, and they let us order dessert without telling us we had to leave mid-way. One member of our party got fairly upset, and asked to speak to the manager. I don't know if they were the manager, but the person who came out listened, was unapologetic and did not offer any compensation whatsoever, not even a free drink or dessert which I think would have made that person very happy and cost the restaurant like $2. I wasn't paying, so I can't really complain, but the person who did cut the tip from what was going to be 25% to 5% and the restaurant lost way more money than if they had spent a couple dollars to make that person happy. I get that they need to free up tables, but I think they handled it poorly compared to similar experiences I've had.

I wouldn't go back personally, it was very expensive and not worth it IMO compared to other places in Calgary.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 07-13-2016 at 09:45 AM.

Default Re: Re: Charbar restaurant in East Village

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I've been there. Food was OK but not great, I liked their pizza and we had a lot of the appetizers and a few other entrees to try. There are much better restaurants in Calgary IMHO.

Service wasn't great. I was there for a client event and we had spent ~$800 by that point, were just on dessert, and they made us pack up mid-way through eating dessert and move outside in the rain to free up our table. Rather than comp the next guests a drink at the bar while they waited at most 5-10 minutes for us to finish up, we had to pack up everything and move outside with half eaten desserts. They did not warn us before hand, and they let us order dessert without telling us we had to leave mid-way. One member of our party got fairly upset, and asked to speak to the manager. I don't know if they were the manager, but the person who came out listened, was unapologetic and did not offer any compensation whatsoever, not even a free drink or dessert which I think would have made that person very happy and cost the restaurant like $2. I wasn't paying, so I can't really complain, but the person who did cut the tip from what was going to be 25% to 5% and the restaurant lost way more money than if they had spent a couple dollars to make that person happy. I get that they need to free up tables, but I think they handled it poorly compared to similar experiences I've had.

I wouldn't go back personally, it was very expensive and not worth it IMO compared to other places in Calgary.
    I would agree with this.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Exploded.

You're paying for the view. I've eaten at the rooftop and it's meh.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

I ain't worried 'bout it right now..

Interesting. Good to know. The outside patio up top looks like a fantastic place to have a meal. I might try a lunch there, but based on this, I probably wouldn't go there for my "steak night" out.

I can get a 24oz Prime Rib at the Keg for $42.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 07-13-2016 at 10:11 AM.

Had a burger on the rooftop with some cocktails, was great

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

I've eaten there twice, both times the services was exceptional. We did the porterhouse split between a few and it was delicious. My favorite thing on the menu is the Ceviche'

Their Burgers are phenomenal too!
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Had their porterhouse for two, steak was great, but not a fan of the chimichurri sauces. Would have loved just some butter on there or a peppercorn sauce. All in all I enjoyed the steak for two at ruths chris a bit more.

Went for our companies xmas party last year and those steaks sucked. But getting 50 steaks out at the same time i guess what can you expect.

Ill be back to try burgers and such, its a good restaurant but you are paying not only for the food but also for ambiance and setting as well (simmons building is pretty cool imo)

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

Ok food, very overpriced with ok service. Basically a crappy version of Charcut.

Went twice and have never been back.

Mediocre food and service imo. Been there twice.

My Ride
    Accord 6-6, Tacoma

Food was good, so was service. Very expensive! Not sure it was worth it, not a lot of food for spending $160 for two people
    Honda/Acura guy

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

Never going back! GARBAGE.

The only good thing is the view.

When we asked for Coffee after our lunch they told us to go down to Phil And sebastians.

UMMM THEY CAN"T KEEP A POT UP THERE?

Been there twice, once for brunch and once for dinner (rooftop), food isn't bad but theres definitely better for the price you pay. The view is the main reason we went and I'd go back for the view and to have some cocktails, don't expect the best service there though. There's quite a bit of demand for the rooftop so you can't reserve a table for the rooftop patio.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by 7thgenvic
    Never going back! GARBAGE.

The only good thing is the view.

When we asked for Coffee after our lunch they told us to go down to Phil And sebastians.

UMMM THEY CAN"T KEEP A POT UP THERE?
    Bwhahaha lmao that happened to me as well. I wanted a steak on the rooftop, but was forced to order a rooftop menu. Wtf. I want a steak.
    Doing It For the 'Gram

Originally posted by flipstah

Bwhahaha lmao that happened to me as well. I wanted a steak on the rooftop, but was forced to order a rooftop menu. Wtf. I want a steak.
    What?? You can't have a steak on the rooftop?

My Ride
    Exploded.

When I ordered the last time, the rooftop menu were burgers and other stuff that's not steak.

Steak had to be on the lower floors!
    Doing It For the 'Gram

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

Also.
    Their garbage 21 dollar Salad.

Half a heart of Iceburg with a bit of torn up roasted chicken with a couple small Tomatoes and some dressing....

Yeah... I love to spend money on good food and go out to good restaurants, but this place is garbage.

My Ride
    ute

honestly, for a good old-fashioned steak-house meal I find Ruth's Chris hard to beat.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Been there twice. Same feedback as most of you guys. Big bucks for slightly better than Joeys food. Wouldnt go there by choice.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    FJC, S30

I am going to agree. The whole building is hipster/trendy central and everything is just meh. Great location, but wouldn't go back that's for sure. Calgary needs to focus more on good solid food and less on decor and location.
    Submaker.Illest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast