Quantcast
iPhone X will not connect to cell network. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: iPhone X will not connect to cell network.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Default iPhone X will not connect to cell network.

Was working fine until about 10 hours ago. Suddenly lost internet connectivity. And then I couldn't text. Then I couldn't call. The little service bars started bouncing searching for a signal. I left it alone for a bit but came back to the same thing. Did the usual airplane mode on - off toggle. No luck. Power down and back on. No luck.

Did some google searches on the subject. Performed hard reset. No luck. Removed and reinstalled SIM card. No luck. Did the network settings reset. No luck.

I asked others who are on the same carrier as me and they have no problems. I'm running iOS 11.1.2. My account with my carrier is in good standing.

Does someone know what else I can do? Thanks.
    Last edited by 16hypen3sp; 01-12-2018 at 05:54 AM.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Get a new SIM card, update carrier settings, and ask your carrier to reprovision.

Then Apple store if that doesn’t work.

did you buy the phone new or did you buy it from a 3rd party? I had this same issue when I bought a new S8 off kijiji, checked the blacklist and it was fine but the seller reported it stolen days later. Probably wouldnt hurt to check https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/ hopefully this is just a minor issue and apple can help sort you out.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

I bought this phone brand new in November. My options to get this fixed are extremely limited as I’m stuck up north working for the next little while. Really, really shitty time for this to happen.

I just got off a live chat with Rogers Tech support. They think my phone has suddenly stopped reading my SIM card as there is no ICCID number within the About page in my settings.

It’s so fucked up. It literally stopped working in my hands. I was literally typing a text to my girlfriend over iMessage and when I tried to send it, it said no internet connection.

I have also tried to update my iOS. I downloaded it over wifi in my camp room but it won’t verify and install because “there’s no connection to the internet.” Like wtf? I’m connected to wifi.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

EDIT: NV, you already tried reseating.
    Last edited by Seth1968; 01-12-2018 at 09:25 AM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Quote Originally Posted by 16hypen3sp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I bought this phone brand new in November. My options to get this fixed are extremely limited as I’m stuck up north working for the next little while. Really, really shitty time for this to happen.

I just got off a live chat with Rogers Tech support. They think my phone has suddenly stopped reading my SIM card as there is no ICCID number within the About page in my settings.

It’s so fucked up. It literally stopped working in my hands. I was literally typing a text to my girlfriend over iMessage and when I tried to send it, it said no internet connection.

I have also tried to update my iOS. I downloaded it over wifi in my camp room but it won’t verify and install because “there’s no connection to the internet.” Like wtf? I’m connected to wifi.
    Tried doing a factory reset?

Exact same problem with one of our iPhone 8's. The only remedy (if your problem is indeed the same) is a FULL factory data reset, which is incredibly annoying. Apple won't replace it yet, so Apple Care was a complete waste of money. This is only a temporary remedy, it will keep happening.

Tried everything else - hard reset, resetting carrier settings, different sim cards, new SIM, contacting the carrier - you name it we tried it.

If you do a complete reset, make damn sure you back up to the cloud and not manually to your computer before the restore - iTunes corrupted our first back up file and had it not been for Google Photos being installed on the phone, would have lost 3 weeks of Europe photos. Of course, you need to pay extra for cloud storage big enough to back up most people's phones...
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-12-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Are you able to get a new sim card wherever you are?

My Ride
    This and that.

Wouldn't hurt to try another SIM from the same carrier to see if it still does it?

Sounds like the exact same problem we had, and a new SIM didn't fix it, nor did swapping the SIM to another existing/activated SIM from the same carrier. Hopefully the OP's issue is less of a hassle.

The issue started pretty early, and the last 3-4 iOS updates haven't fixed anything.

iPhone SIM worked in 2 other phones on the same network, so it was definitely a problem with the iPhone.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-12-2018 at 12:02 PM.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

If you pop the sim into someone else’s phone does it work?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

It definitely sounds like a phone issue - and - not trying to beat a dead horse but this is why I don't recommend purchasing anything that has recently been released.
    You are just a beta-tester for the companies.

When I worked in the field as an operator/technical support (aerial LIDAR), the last thing I wanted in Northern SK was any newly released piece of technology in the helicopter. Give me something proven. Our hard drives were always about a generation behind for eg.

Far too many examples of this exact situation.

My Ride
    Blue boy

Quote Originally Posted by NathanRed View Post
    did you buy the phone new or did you buy it from a 3rd party? I had this same issue when I bought a new S8 off kijiji, checked the blacklist and it was fine but the seller reported it stolen days later. Probably wouldnt hurt to check https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/ hopefully this is just a minor issue and apple can help sort you out.

what a pos seller, what did you end up doing with the phone?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Ok. I did a full factory reset. Holy shit is this problematic.

I now have service bars and I can text people. I have not yet tried to set up my Apple ID yet. I can not make outgoing calls nor can people call me. My gf is texting me. (Text. Not iMessage) She says she is getting ‘number not in service’ message when she tries calling. I now also have the ICCID number on my about page in the settings.

Not sure if I should do a carrier reset or what....
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Also, the texts that I do send to her are very slow to send.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

Ok. I did a full factory reset. Holy shit is this problematic.

I now have service bars and I can text people. I have not yet tried to set up my Apple ID yet. I can not make outgoing calls nor can people call me. My gf is texting me. (Text. Not iMessage) She says she is getting ‘number not in service’ message when she tries calling. I now also have the ICCID number on my about page in the settings.

Not sure if I should do a carrier reset or what....
    Your problem sounds worse than ours then - in my case the full factory reset would completely restore the phone's operation, it's just a major hassle and (so far) is not a permanent fix. I am fairly sure we need a full phone replacement, which so far has been denied, rendering ~$150 apple care completely useless. I have always owned multiple brands, but then again I always laugh when people say they buy Apple products because they "just work"

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

This fucking phone is all over the map. It has said it has service bars since my most recent post, but I still get prompted about not being connected to the internet every so often. I can now make outgoing phone calls tho. The internet service seems very flaky.

EDIT: I also could not install my most recent back up on this phone during the set up process after I did the full factory reset. They had to send me the stupid verification number (6 digits I think) to sign into my Apple ID. First it said it was going to send it to my other iDevices, which doesn't help me at all. So I bypassed that and asked for it via text message. Nothing came. So I asked for it via phone call but my phone wasn't accepting phone calls at the time. So I bypassed all of it and went the 'set up as new iPhone' just to get to the home screen. I got there and then three texts show up immediately with verification codes. This allowed me to get into my apple ID but I can't install a back up without wiping the fucking phone again and starting the set up process all over. How the hell do I get the verification during the setup process? I also had an issue with this when I bought this phone. I think I had to use iTunes to get it to work.
    Last edited by 16hypen3sp; 01-12-2018 at 08:12 PM.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    an econo box

I had a similar problem about a week ago with my Android phones. It was a rogers network issue. I could send/receive texts but I had no data and no voice. I thought I had a faulty SIM card so I went to the Rogers store and they said they've been having network issues and many other people have come in with the same issue.

A few hours later the problems stopped and everything has been working normally since then.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Quote Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
    I had a similar problem about a week ago with my Android phones. It was a rogers network issue. I could send/receive texts but I had no data and no voice. I thought I had a faulty SIM card so I went to the Rogers store and they said they've been having network issues and many other people have come in with the same issue.

A few hours later the problems stopped and everything has been working normally since then.
    Can SIM cards just kick the bucket like that? I have never had a problem with any SIM card before. Don't really know that much about them really.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    an econo box

Can SIM cards just kick the bucket like that? I have never had a problem with any SIM card before. Don't really know that much about them really.
    They can if you swap phones a lot like I do. I assumed it was just wear and tear on my SIM but turned out to be a Rogers network thing.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast