Quantcast
Shaw Wide Open Internet 150 launch. - Page 20 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaw Wide Open Internet 150 launch.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by TurboMedic

Well, you could plug it into a timer, one of those old school push pin ones, and just have it cycle on/off once at like 3am every day.
    Come on, that's ghetto.

https://www.amazon.com/NP-02-Switcha.../dp/B00346USOA

Auto ping 8.8.8.8 and recycle's modem's power if no reply.

My Hiltron has been solid after the 1st 2 weeks. No more mysterious DHCP issues.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by benyl
    TELUS 150 is now $85 / month with 1TB.

So year 2, Shaw's deal only gets you $5/month off the regular price at TELUS.
    Just called Telus to get this. Phone call lasted about 5 minutes.

My Ride
    2016 VW MK7 R ORYX DSG TECH

Originally posted by gpomp
    Same. I called and told the agent about the shaw deal. She knew exactly what it was about and gave me the discount right away.
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

My Ride
    RX300

Originally posted by gpomp

i don't get it how is it matching shaw when the shaw deal is 50/month for 150 and telus is offering it for 85/month unless you guys are talking about them giving you year 2 for 85/month
    trying is the first step towards failure

Got Telus 150/150 for 80 a mo regular price. Awesome.

My Ride
    Ford F150

I got Telus 50 Unlimited for $35/month. Can't get any faster here, but speeds are consistent.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    2016 VW MK7 R ORYX DSG TECH

Originally posted by saiyajin

i don't get it how is it matching shaw when the shaw deal is 50/month for 150 and telus is offering it for 85/month unless you guys are talking about them giving you year 2 for 85/month
    I got Telus to give me this: http://shop.shaw.ca/internetplans/?a...t-aff4-demo4-d
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

been less than a week since I went to shaw, Telus has been calling me like crazy to change back. they can not offer 150 in my area but they did offer internet 50 and the same TV package I had for 15 bucks less for the first year then back to the same. I decided to stick to shaw for the higher speed and customer service. it takes forever to get a hold of someone when you call telus.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Zhariak

It's a known issue. They are working on a fix, not hardware related.

When they do late night maintenance (either planned or emergency), when everything comes back up, no devices behind the Hitron can connect. Requires a power cycle on the modem.
    As a note for people on here who are concerned I just went away for 10 days and the network didn't go down once over that period ( nor for a while before that ).

Might have been a short term teething bug that they have sorted out already?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Originally posted by 3drian
    been less than a week since I went to shaw, Telus has been calling me like crazy to change back. they can not offer 150 in my area but they did offer internet 50 and the same TV package I had for 15 bucks less for the first year then back to the same. I decided to stick to shaw for the higher speed and customer service. it takes forever to get a hold of someone when you call telus.
    What bothers me about that kind of thing all the time is that they don't give a sh*t about you until AFTER you leave. If they valued your business they would have offered you that rate to begin with before Shaw even had a promotion. When that happens to me I usually stay put out of principle haha. My insurance company did the same thing when I switched - all of a sudden they valued my business

b_t is offline b_t is a huge nag (2019 friendly)
    My Ride
    FC3S 10AE / Tacoma

what kind of speeds do you guys see for uploading to OneDrive?

I only got 1.5mb/s up which was disappointing. haven't really seen any improvement going form Broadband 50 to Wideopen 150

Is it just me or does it seem like Canadian telecom is a giant rip off? For $50-60/month on the regular 15/30 plan or whatever I can barely stream a youtube video or netflix.

Originally posted by b_t
    what kind of speeds do you guys see for uploading to OneDrive?

I only got 1.5mb/s up which was disappointing. haven't really seen any improvement going form Broadband 50 to Wideopen 150
    Wideopen 150 only has an upload of 15mbps which is 1.8MB/sec ish so if you get 1.5MB/sec that's about right.

Originally posted by Manhattan
    Is it just me or does it seem like Canadian telecom is a giant rip off? For $50-60/month on the regular 15/30 plan or whatever I can barely stream a youtube video or netflix.
    I'm pretty sure Canada's cell phone, internet, and cable plans are all some of the highest price in the world. The problem is that those services have a monopoly wherever they go unless a major player wants to buck the trend, but they make too much money to consider that haha.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Manhattan
    That's not right.

30mbps is ~ 3.75MB/s. That is a TON of data. 1 hour of 720p video is ~800-900MB. You should be able to stream a couple 720p videos no problem.

I have Shaw basic internet 30, and it is infinitely better than any internet I've had (including the old "50" premium service from back in the late oughts) and can hit that 3.75MB/s no problem.

In fact, I personally REALLY do not understand why everyone is all about the 150 service. It's complete overkill and does nothing for things like gaming (latency should be the number 1 concern there).

Unless you have telus and the TV uses some of your bandwidth, getting actual 30 for $50-$60 per month is awesome.

Now, relative to the rest of the world? Telecoms make money hand over fist up here, it's absurd.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Originally posted by killramos

As a note for people on here who are concerned I just went away for 10 days and the network didn't go down once over that period ( nor for a while before that ).

Might have been a short term teething bug that they have sorted out already?
    Hard to say...

I've only had it happen once at my office, way way back when they did unscheduled maintenance...

However, I have a client downtown where it's happened 4+ times. All when scheduled or unscheduled maintenance was done on the backend side of things.

It's probably resolved now, I'm sure Shaw jumped on this pretty quick once they confirmed it was an issue.
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Speaking of Shaw,

Is anyone having any issues right now? I'm noticing a ton, can't make connections to some shaw IPs in mission.

Also, noticing not being able to load certian pages (nasdaq, google, etc...)?

It looks like it could be some route issues?
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

not for me, no issues for over a week since my modem was doing the lock up overnight thing.

are you using shaw's dns or internal/company? not sure if this home or business you are talking about. tracert shows?

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

That's not right.

30mbps is ~ 3.75MB/s. That is a TON of data. 1 hour of 720p video is ~800-900MB. You should be able to stream a couple 720p videos no problem.

I have Shaw basic internet 30, and it is infinitely better than any internet I've had (including the old "50" premium service from back in the late oughts) and can hit that 3.75MB/s no problem.

In fact, I personally REALLY do not understand why everyone is all about the 150 service. It's complete overkill and does nothing for things like gaming (latency should be the number 1 concern there).

Unless you have telus and the TV uses some of your bandwidth, getting actual 30 for $50-$60 per month is awesome.

Now, relative to the rest of the world? Telecoms make money hand over fist up here, it's absurd.
    It was probably a slow connection paired with a terrible Shaw provided router.

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
    I'm currently with Telus and I Called them to price match and they said they would match shaw's offer point to point, but then they said based on my usage I don't need 150mbs.

At the end my monthly bill went down from $135/month (TV + Fiber 50) to $52/month for year 1 and $110 for year 2.

Thanks Shaw for helping me save so much !
    I went from 160/month - Telus 100/550mb, TV, Landline (alarm), to 86/month - Telus 100/unlimited, TV, Landline for a year and can redo it next year.

So yah, thanks a bunch!
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast