Quantcast
Shaw Wide Open Internet 150 launch. - Page 22 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaw Wide Open Internet 150 launch.

Can anyone with shaw tell me what usenet provider(s) you're using and if you max out your connection? I get good speed tests/steam downloads but rarely see about 90mbps on usenet.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by jonsey737
    Can anyone with shaw tell me what usenet provider(s) you're using and if you max out your connection? I get good speed tests/steam downloads but rarely see about 90mbps on usenet.
    Astraweb and Newsgroupdirect maxed out the gigabit connection I had when I had access. If you're having troubles look at the number of connections set up as we as try one of their alt servers.

You can also try a different nzb client. I found sabnzb would struggle at really high speeds on my weak little htpc. nzbget had better success on that machine for me.

My Ride
    Grimace

I use cubenet which is highwinds. 50 connection unlimtied and I get full ~175 Mbps using sabnabazabadad.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I would bet that has nothing to do with Shaw. Probably your DVD player or something in your home network - if it's anything like most wireless BluRay/DVD players running the Netflix app, it leaves a lot to be desired from a speed perspective.

You can buy a Chromecast for $40 and it's super fast for Netflix if you use that a lot.
    It is a Netflix app in a DVD box, takes a minute for the unit to warm up and a slow as a school zone remote control. Time to deep six it, and buy a Chromecast.

Thanks Mitsu3000gt.
    Last edited by Minimalist; 08-24-2016 at 08:43 PM.

My Ride
    '18 Murano

Here's a sample from my Sabnzb log using usenetserver.com:

Size 3.1 GB

Source https://www.usenet-crawler.com/getnz...2a0b31b93f61e5
    Download Downloaded in 2 mins 36 seconds at an average of 20.0 MB/s
    Servers news.usenetserver.com=3.1 GB

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

I max out on 19.4 or so MB/s with 20 SSL connections on usenetserver.com (On Telus 150). If I had more I could go faster I am sure. At 10 connections was only getting like 12mb/s or so.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks everyone! I'm running nzbget in a docker container inside a VM so not exactly ideal, I'll try on bare hardware to rule out the CPU as the limit before I switch usenet providers.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Thanks everyone! I'm running nzbget in a docker container inside a VM so not exactly ideal, I'll try on bare hardware to rule out the CPU as the limit before I switch usenet providers.
    If you use SSL connections, it will require more processing power, so CPU could be it if it's a slow machine.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

I just upgraded (last thursday) to the Telus 150. My install date isnt until Sept 6th but the guy who came to my house basically said I could reset my modem in a couple days and it would do a firmware upgrade and then come into effect up to the limits of my modem. However ive done this and it seems to not go any faster than 52 meg down and 14 meg up which is basically what it was before.

I only have the Actiontec 1200H at the moment and ive had it for about 4 years so im thinking this might be the reason.

Hopefully the new router/modem will have better wifi because its shit inside my house and i have several extenders.
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    Sentra

Originally posted by nzwasp
    I just upgraded (last thursday) to the Telus 150. My install date isnt until Sept 6th but the guy who came to my house basically said I could reset my modem in a couple days and it would do a firmware upgrade and then come into effect up to the limits of my modem. However ive done this and it seems to not go any faster than 52 meg down and 14 meg up which is basically what it was before.

I only have the Actiontec 1200H at the moment and ive had it for about 4 years so im thinking this might be the reason.

Hopefully the new router/modem will have better wifi because its shit inside my house and i have several extenders.
    Nope, I have the old Actiontec from 5+ years ago, and I got an upgrade to 150, required no new hardware or a tech. All done remote.

My Ride
    06 S2000

Every extender/repeater drops the bandwidth of the wifi signal by 50%.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Still shows Telus 50/10 on my account so might not have been done yet I guess.

Regarding wifi. I just want my wife to stop complaining about the fucking wifi signal for a day. Although there was less complaining when she went from her iphone 4s to iphone 6 due to not relying on shitty 2.4 wifi anymore.

My Ride
    TDi

Signed up to the 150, but apparently telus customers have been getting offered 39.90 first year.. so I will likely call and try to get that as well
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

Just buy a new router... I found the telus actiontec router to be really bad at handling traffic. Youtube would take forever to load when I'm downloading some files, or websites would load really slow when streaming video.

I got a netgear r7000, and placed it in my basement furnace room. I can still get 150/150 speeds in my room on the 3rd floor

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

Originally posted by 403ep3
    Signed up to the 150, but apparently telus customers have been getting offered 39.90 first year.. so I will likely call and try to get that as well
    I got offered $42/month for the 1st year, $80 2nd year with Telus. Shaw offered me $39.90 for the first year/$80 2nd, but ended up just sticking with Telus once they gave me that offer

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

Originally posted by yellowsnow
    Just buy a new router... I found the telus actiontec router to be really bad at handling traffic. Youtube would take forever to load when I'm downloading some files, or websites would load really slow when streaming video.

I got a netgear r7000, and placed it in my basement furnace room. I can still get 150/150 speeds in my room on the 3rd floor
    I cant replace the actiontec as I need it for the fiber termination. Also it handles all the optik tv shit.

I did find that the more intensive firewall rules I load on there the slower it gets so I have taken the majority off. I guess you are talking about offloading the wireless. I dont have that on there either. My extender uses an ethernet port to go from router to main floor and then distributes the wireless around the house reaching basement and top floor.

Are you on contract still - maybe thats why you got the lower price. Im month to month and they only gave me $80 for the month to month price.

For anyone who wants a new router, the R7000 is on sale $189 at London Drugs, $179 at Staples, and $159 I think on one of the Memory Express daily deals.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Regarding wifi. I just want my wife to stop complaining about the fucking wifi signal for a day. Although there was less complaining when she went from her iphone 4s to iphone 6 due to not relying on shitty 2.4 wifi anymore.
    http://forums.beyond.ca/st/397304/fi...d-wifi-review/

Prices have dropped since the review and new products added, I'll bump the post up during lunch with some more new info.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

I cant replace the actiontec as I need it for the fiber termination. Also it handles all the optik tv shit.

I did find that the more intensive firewall rules I load on there the slower it gets so I have taken the majority off. I guess you are talking about offloading the wireless. I dont have that on there either. My extender uses an ethernet port to go from router to main floor and then distributes the wireless around the house reaching basement and top floor.

Are you on contract still - maybe thats why you got the lower price. Im month to month and they only gave me $80 for the month to month price.
    Sounds like Shaw + R7000 would likely solve your problem if I understand correctly and you are forced to use a garbage router on fiber.

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

The wifi is the only bad point of that Telus router - I am running gig e to my desktop computer and it is flawless.

This is a side view of my house.

And where I have placed my wifi access points.

Wifi is disabled on the basement Telus Actiontec.

This works alright for me - it is slow sometimes on my iphone 6 but I just turn off my wifi and turn on and it works again.

The upstairs AP is connected via WPS to the downstairs extender. And that is connected via ethernet to the actiontec.

Neither of the extenders support 802.11ac they are both running 802.11n/g I have a 5Ghz network running N and a 2.4 Ghz running g purely for my wink home automation system in the home office.
    Last edited by nzwasp; 08-29-2016 at 12:54 PM.

Page 22 of 32 FirstFirst ... 12 21 22 23 ... LastLast