Quantcast
Shaw Wide Open Internet 150 launch. - Page 27 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaw Wide Open Internet 150 launch.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Thought I would update this. After going through 4(!) Hitron units and escalating my service ticket to the Customer Advocacy group, suddenly the Cisco unit was available. Tech that came to my house said that they were now back in stock at the warehouse(not sure if this is actually true based on the posts from like two weeks ago stating the opposite). Most of my issues(modem dropping and not coming back online until power cycle) have been resolved. Highly recommend pushing hard for the Cisco unit if you've got issues with Bridge mode on the Hitron. From what I can tell, if you're using the Hitron WiFi you won't have issues, its just when you need the unit in bridge mode is when issues tend to occur. One tech also had the idea to run the Hitron in normal mode, and manually disable the WiFi via the admin utility, but I rebutted that it won't work for most people as they would eventually run into a double-nat scenario(Plex server, Teamviewer sessions, XBL/PSN).

As for the people that have posted comments from Shaw saying that only the Hitron is able to handle the 120 service, that's complete BS, I had the older Cisco DPC3825 running on the grandfathered Internet 100(which ended up being rounded up to the 120 service), and got full 120mbps speeds.

Due to the fact that Shaw representatives seem to be highly reluctant in using any hardware other than the Hitron unit, I wonder if they have signed some sort of exclusivity agreement with Hitron in order to get as many units as possible out there. The rationale is that they require DOCSIS 3.1 in order to offer the higher speeds which I also believe is BS based on the fact that DOCSIS 3.0(with the correct channel configurations) is more than capable to handle 100-175mbps that is currently offered on the Shaw service.

My Ride
    Toyota Christopher Lambert

No issues with my Hitron since that week where Shaw was doing maintenance during the night and powercycling was required in the morning. Been rock solid for over a month now.

DPC3825 was the modem that used to offer BB250, so yeah it can do 100+ no problem

I still have one, but they made me use the new modem cuz they only allow 120 or 150 using the hitron or cisco modem.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Originally posted by cyra1ax
    One tech also had the idea to run the Hitron in normal mode, and manually disable the WiFi via the admin utility, but I rebutted that it won't work for most people as they would eventually run into a double-nat scenario(Plex server, Teamviewer sessions, XBL/PSN).
    I'm with Telus but just run the Telus gear with a DMZ IP defined as my own router IP, and haven't had any problems. I have yet to have something that doesn't work, so I think it's a good work around. I run Plex and all that too without any issues, Xbox live and such too.

I actually use the built in WiFi as a backup network as well should something on my much more complex network be down, at least the internet would still be accessible, so it has some benefits.

When I was out in Nepal on a 3 week hike...my server PSU died and took down all my VMs, which took down all my DHCP, DNS ect...that backup network probably kept my wife from murdering me

Hmm it's interesting that Telus offers 150/150 w/out contract for 85$ per month.

Too bad they don't have fibre in my area

Three times in the last week I've come home late after work (4-6AM) and I've had to reboot my Hitron modem which takes like 5+ minutes to come back up. If I have to do it again I'm calling them because it's a problem when I need to connect home remotely and I'm out of town. I don't think I had to reboot my Telus modem more than once in 4 years...

My Ride
    06 S2000

Originally posted by jonsey737
    Three times in the last week I've come home late after work (4-6AM) and I've had to reboot my Hitron modem which takes like 5+ minutes to come back up. If I have to do it again I'm calling them because it's a problem when I need to connect home remotely and I'm out of town. I don't think I had to reboot my Telus modem more than once in 4 years...
    I had this issue consistently. Swapping the modem resolved it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    TDi

I've had the Shaw for two weeks and have restarted it three times. What a pain in the ass
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

My shaw hasn't had a single problem since the first week or two after I got it as per when I posted in the thread.

YMMV aparently

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

The Hitron modems are shit, I had to replace mine at a retail store after multiple instances of "Connected, No Internet." Still happened once with the new one. The need to power cycle once in a while seems to be a common thing.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Finally got switched to Telus. Just running Internet 50 until the promo is over since they didn't offer one with 150. Once primo pricing is done, I'll be switching to 150 for an extra $5 a month.

I was getting raped so bad by shaw for old Internet and tv services. This thread made me look into and saved me money. Beyond rocks

Just get shaw to send out techs to fix it. Until they realize the modem is shit and give you the Cisco.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Originally posted by eblend

I'm with Telus but just run the Telus gear with a DMZ IP defined as my own router IP, and haven't had any problems. I have yet to have something that doesn't work, so I think it's a good work around. I run Plex and all that too without any issues, Xbox live and such too.

I actually use the built in WiFi as a backup network as well should something on my much more complex network be down, at least the internet would still be accessible, so it has some benefits.

When I was out in Nepal on a 3 week hike...my server PSU died and took down all my VMs, which took down all my DHCP, DNS ect...that backup network probably kept my wife from murdering me
    Didn't think about the DMZ. When I moved to the Internet 100 service a couple of years ago the tech forgot to bridge it and that's how I ended up getting Plex/XBL yelling at me about double-nat and refusing to connect.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Sorry for the bump, but we got that new Hiltron modem in my office while I was away on vacation, and our guest wireless runs off it. Came in today...no quest wireless in the building. Rebooted the modem and it all started working again. When I came in, the little LAN connectivity light was not on, is that the same problem people are experiencing at home?

As for the Cisco modem that they are reluctant to give out, does anyone know the model number for this, as we will request this from them if this keeps happening. I saw someone mention DPC3825, is that the Cisco modem, or is there a different modem for 150mbps users?

My Ride
    Eclipse

Sorry for the bump, but we got that new Hiltron modem in my office while I was away on vacation, and our guest wireless runs off it. Came in today...no quest wireless in the building. Rebooted the modem and it all started working again. When I came in, the little LAN connectivity light was not on, is that the same problem people are experiencing at home?

As for the Cisco modem that they are reluctant to give out, does anyone know the model number for this, as we will request this from them if this keeps happening. I saw someone mention DPC3825, is that the Cisco modem, or is there a different modem for 150mbps users?
    For the cisco modem they told me they are only at the warehouses you can request a tech to come to your place to check the wifi and he can bring one exchange it than
    Originally posted by beemerm3
    so if we only seen 5 % of the oceans why not drain them or somethin lol or can u even transfer water from one ocean to another??? think of all the stuff u'd find treasures n eerything.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

That has happened to me on average once a month now. Extremely annoying especially because the last time it happened, I was on vacation. Switching modem did not resolve the issue.

Reminds me to call and complain.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Getting the telus 150 hookup on Friday. It cheaper then my 25 with unlimited, I was just to stupid to look until now. I think it's $80 a month

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by danno
    Getting the telus 150 hookup on Friday. It cheaper then my 25 with unlimited, I was just to stupid to look until now. I think it's $80 a month
    Remember the trick is that let everyone get used the speed and cap and promo ends in 2 years and it goes to $135/month, instant profit.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

Ahh well. I'm probably going to move anyway and won't have access to fibre and will lose all my speed anyway

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by cyra1ax

Didn't think about the DMZ. When I moved to the Internet 100 service a couple of years ago the tech forgot to bridge it and that's how I ended up getting Plex/XBL yelling at me about double-nat and refusing to connect.
    Old reply, but the techs dont "forget" to bridge modems, they just dont give a shit.

4-5x I've been called out to places where this was put in as a request originally and the Shaw techs dont care to stick around (they get paid piece work).
    Last edited by revelations; 10-31-2016 at 10:46 PM.

Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ... 17 26 27 28 ... LastLast