Quantcast
Shaw Wide Open Internet 150 launch. - Page 21 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaw Wide Open Internet 150 launch.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

In fact, I personally REALLY do not understand why everyone is all about the 150 service. It's complete overkill and does nothing for things like gaming (latency should be the number 1 concern there).

Now, relative to the rest of the world? Telecoms make money hand over fist up here, it's absurd.
    I'm also wondering, I don't have many devices that use the internet (phone, PC, Laptop), so I'm wondering if It will make a real life difference for me. Its a few bucks extra but I would still rather not waste money
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

It's pretty easy to notice the speed IMHO. Obviously you aren't going to notice it every single time you access the internet, but it's very noticeable in general. Even updating apps on my phone from the Google Play store can max it out around 20 MB/s (160 Mbps). Downloading games, updates for various computer programs, etc. can all max it out or come close. If you use Newsgroups that is where you will see enormous value, since that can easily max it out as well. Private torrent trackers probably can too. If you have company over and 10-20+ people are on your wifi, no problem. Basically you can do whatever you want whenever you want and it will always be super fast. You also get the soft 1TB cap which is very easy to hit in a month if you download things in ultra high quality.

Netflix needs a very stable 15Mbps for smooth 4K streaming (they recommend at least 50 Mbps for this reason), and that's just from one TV/source. Plenty of reasons to go with the extra speed and with how cheap it is it's a no-brainer for most people IMO. Not overkill at all for a lot of households, especially today. I know for a fact I'd be taking advantage of 250 Mbps if they offered it (I tried to get it but it wasn't available in my area).

surfing i dont notice an increase and still have to wait for pages to load. maybe a hardware issue with my 5s and desktops? not sure, but torrents download way faster and android box streams Kodi seamlessly compared to my Shaw25 plan

My Ride
    06 S2000

http://business.financialpost.com/fp...us-duke-it-out

“Neither player benefits in a price battle, and we view this development as a net negative for both players if the promotions spiral into a full-on price war,” Barclays analyst Phillip Huang wrote in a note to clients Monday.
    Fuck you guys, price wars are the best.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavyfuel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's why I just say I have a 4" dick and lift weights to make up for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    My car sounds like shit.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    In fact, I personally REALLY do not understand why everyone is all about the 150 service. It's complete overkill and does nothing for things like gaming (latency should be the number 1 concern there).

Unless you have telus and the TV uses some of your bandwidth, getting actual 30 for $50-$60 per month is awesome.

Now, relative to the rest of the world? Telecoms make money hand over fist up here, it's absurd.
    For me it was 100% about cost, this new plan was cheaper than what I was paying before. Speed is icing on the cake.

I will disagree on that 30 is enough though, for me that number is closer to 50 as past that you really start noticing a lot of DL services not going any higher than 50 mbps. The big one for me is Xbox downloads, when the average game is 50 GB the extra speed really helps.

If UHD streaming really takes off in the future here one stream will nearly saturate a 30mbps connection. Probably more than that with HDR or DolbyVision and Atmos.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

Shaw is changing out their entire TV gateway station shortly to a new system that can handle 4K. Anyone signing up for TV right now is getting out dated stuff.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Thanks Mitsu Always helping me out man!
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Trucks

What's involved in the self install update? I have a new modem on the way for the 150 increase.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by killramos

For me it was 100% about cost, this new plan was cheaper than what I was paying before. Speed is icing on the cake.

I will disagree on that 30 is enough though, for me that number is closer to 50 as past that you really start noticing a lot of DL services not going any higher than 50 mbps. The big one for me is Xbox downloads, when the average game is 50 GB the extra speed really helps.

If UHD streaming really takes off in the future here one stream will nearly saturate a 30mbps connection. Probably more than that with HDR or DolbyVision and Atmos.
    You know, that is fair. I literally still buy all physical copies of my games for console

I would say that 30 is the bare minimum, 50 is definitely great, but definitely, if the 150 is the same price, no brainer, especially with Shaw always jacking up prices

Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Thanks Mitsu Always helping me out man!
    Anytime.

Just as another example I downloaded a game off Steam yesterday and was locked solid at ~22.1 MB/s (~176.8 Mbps). I downloaded the game in about 10 minutes instead of what would have been about an hour with a 30 Mbps connection. Because of that I was able to play it for ~50 mins before I had to leave Lots of things can make use of the extra speed.

da fuq!? I'm getting like ... on the dot 150 on speed tests.

And on downloads (usenet) getting about 17MBps max..

Not understanding why you guys getting 170+

I"m in coventry hills... maybe the node in this area is saturated?

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Just as another example I downloaded a game off Steam yesterday and was locked solid at ~22.1 MB/s (~176.8 Mbps). I downloaded the game in about 10 minutes instead of what would have been about an hour with a 30 Mbps connection. Because of that I was able to play it for ~50 mins before I had to leave Lots of things can make use of the extra speed.
    Yup, since the steam servers are awesome, getting full speed downloads is awesome especially on some of the newer large games.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Switching to Telus, Shaw wouldn't touch the deal they're offering. Don't get hooked up for another couple weeks.

Didn't realize how much I was pissing away on an old deal compared to what's out there now. Beyond saves me once again!

Originally posted by Hero_X
    da fuq!? I'm getting like ... on the dot 150 on speed tests.

And on downloads (usenet) getting about 17MBps max..

Not understanding why you guys getting 170+

I"m in coventry hills... maybe the node in this area is saturated?
    150 Mbps is almost 19 MB/s, so if you are only getting 17 MB/s on your newsgroups, you might be limited either by the usenet server or # of connections.

I'm on Shaw 150 since early August, noticing when watching Netflix last night the show (Rake) had to pause for a couple of minutes six times in an hour. Otherwise, for internet use it has been great.

Is it my WiFi cheap ass Sammy Netflix DVD player (does not run on 5G) or is it Shaw?

Originally posted by Minimalist
    I'm on Shaw 150 since early August, noticing when watching Netflix last night the show (Rake) had to pause for a couple of minutes six times in an hour.

Is it my WiFi Netflix DVD player (does not run on 5G) or is it Shaw?
    I would bet that has nothing to do with Shaw. Probably your DVD player or something in your home network - if it's anything like most wireless BluRay/DVD players running the Netflix app, it leaves a lot to be desired from a speed perspective.

You can buy a Chromecast for $40 and it's super fast for Netflix if you use that a lot.

My Ride
    Busa

Amazeballs. Price for 150 through Telus was actually less than I was paying for 100 previously. Never had so much upload in my life. Time to start a hosting company. Maybe not, that's shit work. But I could... if I wanted to.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
    Amazeballs. Price for 150 through Telus was actually less than I was paying for 100 previously. Never had so much upload in my life. Time to start a hosting company. Maybe not, that's shit work. But I could... if I wanted to.

When I heard about Telus's upload offer, I was curious (my biz requires high upload)...

However, before the glut, I tried reaching out to Telus business sales around 4 times trying to get a quote for internet (wanted a second connection for load balancing and redundancy). No returned calls, no returned e-mails, and I even reached out on twitter telling them I've tried getting pricing numerous times, asking if they are accepting new customers with no response.

Couldn't believe it... What a fail.
    Last edited by Zhariak; 08-24-2016 at 12:56 PM.
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Well Telus has the upper hand here if your community has true fiber as they call it now. It's too bad that I can't get it yet, would love to have that upload since I do a lot of transfers to my work PC.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

Originally posted by rage2
    Well Telus has the upper hand here if your community has true fiber as they call it now. It's too bad that I can't get it yet, would love to have that upload since I do a lot of transfers to my work PC.
    I'm waiting for the day I get to do a VMWare vMotion over WAN...

/virtualizationpr0n
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ... 11 20 21 22 31 ... LastLast