Quantcast
Hitting animals with vehicle? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hitting animals with vehicle?

My Ride
    2017 Tacoma street queen

Default Hitting animals with vehicle?

Driving out to Sundre this morning and two birds hit the windshield of the larger truck I was driving. It got me thinking how many of you guys have been in a vehicle that has hit animals. If so, what animal and how much damage did it cause??

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

I had (luckily) never, ever hit an animal of any kind, until I drove a stretch of the 501 that runs parallel to the border a few weeks back. Between Cardston and the #4 I smoked 7 gophers and a bird. You come up on a group of thirty gophers sunning themselves on the road and you just know not everybody's making it out alive. No damage, just had to hose off some gopher residue afterwards.

Three crows, two robins, an owl, 5 sparrows (found them in the rad and area) and about 50 of some random brown bird going down a dirt road. Was like tennis balls bouncing off my truck non stop.

Damage - Broken fog light cover, chipped windshield, blood.

I've come damn close to hitting around 4 moose, but somehow narrowly avoided those.

My Ride
    Trucks

I've hit a mule deer, a cow moose laying down on the shoulder of the highway, licking salt, more birds and rodents than I can remember. The moose was decapitated by the front axle on the 3500 Dodge diesel I was driving and its head was lodged under the oil pan when I stopped at a gas station an hour later. Had one seagull smash in the grill of a van, ass first. Drove 2hrs to Brooks before stopping and finding it spread winged from headlight to headlight. That must have looked funny to others on the road.

Default Re: Hitting animals with vehicle?

Originally posted by Nismorphed
    Driving out to Sundre this morning and two birds hit the windshield of the larger truck I was driving. It got me thinking how many of you guys have been in a vehicle that has hit animals. If so, what animal and how much damage did it cause??
    Meh, revert to wind.

Not only will that take valuable land space, but will kill birds that our vital to human existence.

The green energy people are clueless in the way of reality.

Don't even get me started on the solar BS.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I hit a bird in my 944 going pretty quick, probably around 180-200 back in the day. Fucking thing vaporized. Cracked my windshield.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2017 Tacoma street queen

Originally posted by Darell_n
    I've hit a mule deer, a cow moose laying down on the shoulder of the highway, licking salt, more birds and rodents than I can remember. The moose was decapitated by the front axle on the 3500 Dodge diesel I was driving and its head was lodged under the oil pan when I stopped at a gas station an hour later. Had one seagull smash in the grill of a van, ass first. Drove 2hrs to Brooks before stopping and finding it spread winged from headlight to headlight. That must have looked funny to others on the road.
    Any damage to axle or underneath ??

Originally posted by rage2
    I hit a bird in my 944 going pretty quick, probably around 180-200 back in the day. Fucking thing vaporized. Cracked my windshield.
    I happened to come across a similar thing, and it was in the back roads just North of Toronto where I let in loose in my new Suzuki Sprint.

Best car I ever owned. But whatever hit the windshield didn't think so.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

The closest I've ever been to hitting an animal with a vehicle is running over a magpie on my bicycle on the way to work as it swooped in front of me.

It got up and flew off, but the crunch was like

Hitting animals with vehicle?

I'm a pretty big fan

I was a passenger in a pilot that hit a large deer on highway 1 back in high school. It did a number on the front end with bumper, fender and hood damage. It looked like the pilot rear ended someone at a decent speed.

Out near Fairmont a buddy hit a moose in his civic on the way to meet a group of us and I am surprised he survived. It took part of the hoof off, windshield gone and front end destroyed. If I remember correctly even a tire was punctured losing air.

Last summer a pheasant flew out of the ditch right in front of my car and I smoked it with my front grill. No damage to the car.

Years ago I hit an owl coming off of Bow Bottom trail onto Deerfoot South. My entire front windshield was shattered. I stopped and got out and the owl flew away before I could get to it.

Several times I've taken evasive action and missed hitting a deer by only a couple of feet.
    Last edited by Mixalot27; 07-19-2016 at 09:10 PM.

My Ride
    Trucks

Originally posted by Nismorphed

Any damage to axle or underneath ??
    No damage. I was pulling a loaded 28ft horse trailer and it was 3ft in the air when it went over the moose. Saw sparks flying out when the trailer landed. (2am). Had the moose been standing it would have wrote off the truck. Come to think of it I was also a passenger that took the head off a buck on the highway and it dented in the passenger A-pillar. Left the head in the back of the truck.
    Last edited by Darell_n; 07-19-2016 at 09:16 PM.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Hit a deer once. Damage: hood, fender, door, headlight and bumper. Probably hit it at 100km/H

Also hit a porcupine and needed to replace the front bumper and one tire was punctured.

Both incidences happened in the same year to the same car. Back roads surrounding a small town.

My Ride
    08 Suzuki SX4,06 Nissan Titan

rode right over/through a dead deer on my motorcycle in Montana was doing around 60mph at the time, it was pitch black 2 of the 3 people in my group hit it. we all made it over unscathed just blood and fur on the bike.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

smoked a moose in a Kenworth with about 40k lbs on lumber on the flat deck behind me on Highway 22 by water valley.

After taking it through the truck wash to get rid of all the hair and guts, all I had to do was replace the cowling around the driver's side headlight, and use a chain and a telephone pole to pull out the bumper.

Although this moose gets take out by a cherokee and shrugs it off like a boss.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

I have not hit anything but have a few stories

My brothers were driving late at night by Sundre. I was following. Brother hit a deer (car still drive able) we switch drivers 5 min later hit another lol. At that point had to tow the car back.

Cousin was following a truck. Truck hits a moose and the moose goes over the truck and lands on cousins hood / roof. Car was a write off

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I hit a deer 15km east of Thunder Bay. I was in a 1997 Ford Probe GT that was full of my worldy possessions (including Clever's sub ) . I was moving to London for university.

Smoked it doing 110, easy. Thing clipped the front/right side of the fender. It flew off into the ditch and really mucked my car up. But, amazingly, I was able to drive the car all the way to Brampton.

New fender, headlight, wheel well, alignment, hood, bumper cover. Oops.

Gotta say, though: the car took that hit like a champ. Barely even fazed it. It looked like shit, but still drove well enough to go another several hundred kilometres lol.

My Ride
    This and that.

Haven't hit anything so far thankfully and hopefully won't either. Have had a close call with deers twice and both times it was pitch black. Needless to say, swerved like a boss to avoid hitting them both times.

Don't want to jinx myself though, so fingers crossed. lol

My Ride
    4x4

Tons of light hits / no damage with deer, I plan to keep that horseshoe up my arse a while longer on that one... (Seriously its 30+ worst damage was a broken mirror)

Near miss with a moose. Flat spotted 4 tires to the point I limped into revelstoke and waited for a tire shop to open. Would have taken it dead center doing 120+ but I saw a flicker through some high beams...

Coyotes, more than a dozen. One might have been a fox. No real damage, one did leave me a tooth in a tire to remember him by.

Skunks are still the worst... They never "damage" anything, but I've sold 2 vehicles due to skunk spray... Never get that stench off...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast