Quantcast
Druh continues to ignore residents (affordable housing) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Druh continues to ignore residents (affordable housing)

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Default Druh continues to ignore residents (affordable housing)

Long and the short of it, rosedale has 8 smaller lots left over from 16th ave expansion, home owners offered to buy them and were rejected. City council decides to turn them into affordable housing, 300 residents from the appx 650 houses in rosedale sign a petition stating there wasn't enough consultation. Druh goes through email responses, cherry picks the worst, and refers to the response as "soul crushing."

Reddit, calgary herald, and twitter lament that rosedale is evil and property value loss shouldn't be a concern for residents, and the city council passes it anyways despite a large number of residents clearly not being listened to.

Welcome to the hell that is ward 7.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...tion-1.3699186

Ps - before speedog says "well what did you do about it?" Please note that residents did what they could, and druh didn't like the result, ignoring them and painting them as ignorant.
    Last edited by finboy; 07-28-2016 at 03:01 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Z

Why on earth would you put affordable housing in an upscale neighborhood?
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    Grimace

^^^From reading about it it seems like they want a bit of affordable housing in every neighborhood so that they are not discriminating based on income.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by schocker
    ^^^From reading about it it seems like they want a bit of affordable housing in every neighborhood so that they are not discriminating based on income.
    Pretty much, enjoy Mount Royal, pump hill, and Elbow park! Remember, if you don't like it, you are bourgeoisie nimby scum
    Last edited by finboy; 07-28-2016 at 03:22 PM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by g-m
    Well, consider there are quite a few rub and tugs along 16th, I don't know why anyone think that's upscale other than price.

You live in inner city, you are dealing with hobos going thru your trash nightly anyway. How bad could 8 more be?

Originally posted by Xtrema

Well, consider there are quite a few rub and tugs along 16th, I don't know why anyone think that's upscale other than price.

You live in inner city, you are dealing with hobos going thru your trash nightly anyway. How bad could 8 more be?
    Its expensive land value wise and there are some nice homes in there but i wouldnt call it upscale.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by Xtrema

Originally posted by Rocket1k78

Its expensive land value wise and there are some nice homes in there but i wouldnt call it upscale.
    Regardless of the status of rosedale by beyonders opinion, it seems the opinion of council is that all neighbourhoods should have affordable housing options.

"Multi low income housing next to million dollar homes makes no sense," one area resident wrote.

Hmmm, a look at the current assessments shows only 1 home over a million, the rest are all under $700,000.. Rosedale has quite a history of opposing certain things within their community and some of it is downright laughable, really it's quite embarrassing to read of some of the silliness they try to bring forward or stop. Remember, it's the home of the 30kph Crescent Road, eh.

Oh, and here's three charmers that are apparently good enough for Rosemont while new homes are not - Google Maps Streetview link. Bunch of clowns.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Million dollar home? People here may say that's affordable housing.

Originally posted by g-m
    As mentioned it isn't all that upscale.

But it has good transit connectivity (both current and future), walking distance to amenities and schools, the land is zoned for it (since 2007 during the consultation process of 16th Ave's redevelopment), it's an area capable of handling a density boost, among other reasons.

What are reasons against it beyond 'we don't like poor people.'?

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by speedog
    "Multi low income housing next to million dollar homes makes no sense," one area resident wrote.

Hmmm, a look at the current assessments shows only 1 home over a million, the rest are all under $700,000.. Rosedale has quite a history of opposing certain things within their community and some of it is downright laughable, really it's quite embarrassing to read of some of the silliness they try to bring forward or stop. Remember, it's the home of the 30kph Crescent Road, eh.

Oh, and here's three charmers that are apparently good enough for Rosemont while new homes are not - Google Maps Streetview link. Bunch of clowns.
    To be fair much of rosedale opposed the 30km/h on crescent, but the crescent community association got it passed through with one member of the rosedale community association.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

You have to have a powerful group stand up to the city. Take the fight public and withstand the intimidation and wild accusations from the silly hall. A group like that in the SW is fighting to postpone a BRT project that makes very little sense and were successful recently.

Originally posted by finboy

To be fair much of rosedale opposed the 30km/h on crescent, but the crescent community association got it passed through with one member of the rosedale community association.
    How would we know if much of Rosedale was opposed to this? Is it available in their online newsletter?

Edit, their May 2014 newsletter would indicate that the community advocates a 30kph speed limit in Crescent Road, link.
    Last edited by speedog; 07-28-2016 at 09:36 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 11:35 PM.

Originally posted by Aleks
    You have to have a powerful group stand up to the city. Take the fight public and withstand the intimidation and wild accusations from the silly hall. A group like that in the SW is fighting to postpone a BRT project that makes very little sense and were successful recently.
    Success of that group being defined by the 9-0 decision to go ahead with the BRT project as soon as ATCO deals with their high pressure gas line?

Default Re: Druh continues to ignore residents (affordable housing)

Originally posted by finboy
    Long and the short of it, rosedale has 8 smaller lots left over from 16th ave expansion, home owners offered to buy them and were rejected. City council decides to turn them into affordable housing, 300 residents from the appx 650 houses in rosedale sign a petition stating there wasn't enough consultation. Druh goes through email responses, cherry picks the worst, and refers to the response as "soul crushing."

Reddit, calgary herald, and twitter lament that rosedale is evil and property value loss shouldn't be a concern for residents, and the city council passes it anyways despite a large number of residents clearly not being listened to.

Welcome to the hell that is ward 7.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...tion-1.3699186

Ps - before speedog says "well what did you do about it?" Please note that residents did what they could, and druh didn't like the result, ignoring them and painting them as ignorant.
    One small note, city council has not even voted on this yet so how can you say that they've passed it. There was , however, a committee that passed it but the recommendation still has not been debated and voted on by city council. Guess it would be in Rosedale's best interest to heavily populate that council meeting to get their message heard.

My Ride
    Z

Originally posted by kertejud2

What are reasons against it beyond 'we don't like poor people.'?
    just that. Hey! Maybe they could put in a bike parkade instead!
    Z32 TT
    1996 Integra - winter beater with studs - RIP (deer)
    2002 WRX - to be sold
    2010 sti - winter

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by g-m
    5km/h bike lanes in residential areas sounds more up their alley.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by g-m
    If I lived in an upscale neighbourhood, I'd be pissed to. I don't think it is an unreasonable position to take.

What is funny is the cities' and provinces' desires to build hi-density housing will just lead to the rich making their own satellite communities and acreage communities. Look at St. Albert as the perfect example.

Originally posted by g-m
    It would be servicing a growing and cheap to maintain mode of transportation, and also help with the affordability of the area, so maybe one day. Would only help with the areas ability to achieve higher density and connectivity, making it even more desirable for low-income housing.

Let's face it, the LRT will be coming by one day and there's already a BRT, so the vagrants and criminals are already there, so disliking poor people in your area is a ship that has already sailed so it really isn't enough to stop a project that has been zoned since 2007 (with all the consultation around it) that the city needs in an area that is better equipped to handle it than almost any other.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast