Quantcast
NDP Hates All Non Alberta Beer? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: NDP Hates All Non Alberta Beer?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,655
    Rep Power
    88

    Default

    Originally posted by googe
    Of course, the Big 3 Macros have been lobbying like hell, setting up fake craft beer lookalikes, and just scrambling to stay relevant overall. Expect them to start buying ads there with the usual populist scare tactics promoting free trade etc.
    The tax for large breweries isn't changing.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    BoostLand
    My Ride
    something green
    Posts
    1,935
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Large breweries are probably union.
    Too loud for Aspen

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    around
    Posts
    112
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Prentice said during the election that he would not rule out a sales tax. That to me said we were getting one.

    I knew we were gonna pay more some way or somehow to make up the shortfall the loss in oil revenue created. I'm happy it wasn't a sales tax because once it comes in, it would never leave. If I have to pay more for beer I'm not happy about it but I'm glad it's not in the form of a PST.
    I read the article from Toolshed that said they were happy about the changes as it will help grow their business.

    Some of you are pretty funny, first it's "the government should stay out of things", then when the economy dumps "Why isn't the government doing more to help this situation". And when they actually do something to help Albertans you guys want them to stop again. No matter what they do, it's funded by us and what ever you're paying now is going to go up.
    Originally posted by InRich
    I think it should be a MINIMUM payment of 20% across the board for any kinda house. Who can't save 20% nowadays, just stop eating out, drive a japanese shit box, and save, its not hard.. have some fucking discipline. Half you niggers shouldn't even be in the houses you live in now.

    we can't all drive X5Ms

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,192
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Originally posted by 71/454
    Some of you are pretty funny, first it's "the government should stay out of things", then when the economy dumps "Why isn't the government doing more to help this situation". And when they actually do something to help Albertans you guys want them to stop again. No matter what they do, it's funded by us and what ever you're paying now is going to go up.
    A botched beer tax that has to be modified because of what should have been obvious to anyone with half a brain is good for Albertans. Well alrighty then.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    BoostLand
    My Ride
    something green
    Posts
    1,935
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Originally posted by 71/454

    Some of you are pretty funny, first it's "the government should stay out of things", then when the economy dumps "Why isn't the government doing more to help this situation".
    The truth is, the current government could have done better for Alberta by sitting on their hands for four years and doing nothing, instead of doing any of the things they have done.
    Too loud for Aspen

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,655
    Rep Power
    88

    Default

    Originally posted by 71/454
    Prentice said during the election that he would not rule out a sales tax. That to me said we were getting one.

    I knew we were gonna pay more some way or somehow to make up the shortfall the loss in oil revenue created. I'm happy it wasn't a sales tax because once it comes in, it would never leave. If I have to pay more for beer I'm not happy about it but I'm glad it's not in the form of a PST.
    I read the article from Toolshed that said they were happy about the changes as it will help grow their business.

    Some of you are pretty funny, first it's "the government should stay out of things", then when the economy dumps "Why isn't the government doing more to help this situation". And when they actually do something to help Albertans you guys want them to stop again. No matter what they do, it's funded by us and what ever you're paying now is going to go up.
    Yes a higher tax on certain beers will generate the same revenue as a sales tax. LOL.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    around
    Posts
    112
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by suntan
    Yes a higher tax on certain beers will generate the same revenue as a sales tax. LOL.
    You're not that stupid to think that's what I wrote? Oh you are, sorry to your mom.
    The current government couldn't sit on their hands because they can't count on the same revenues coming in that they could in previous years because of oil being down. They need to come up with money from other sources.
    I'm concerned about the carbon tax myself as I don't know how much it will cost me. However bitching about the fact some, not all beer, may go up in price slightly is funny.
    Originally posted by InRich
    I think it should be a MINIMUM payment of 20% across the board for any kinda house. Who can't save 20% nowadays, just stop eating out, drive a japanese shit box, and save, its not hard.. have some fucking discipline. Half you niggers shouldn't even be in the houses you live in now.

    we can't all drive X5Ms

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    1,655
    Rep Power
    88

    Default

    Originally posted by 71/454


    You're not that stupid to think that's what I wrote? Oh you are, sorry to your mom.
    The current government couldn't sit on their hands because they can't count on the same revenues coming in that they could in previous years because of oil being down. They need to come up with money from other sources.
    I'm concerned about the carbon tax myself as I don't know how much it will cost me. However bitching about the fact some, not all beer, may go up in price slightly is funny.
    No, that is precisely what you wrote.

    You don't understand the scope of the problem.

    They're not a little bit in debt. They're massively in debt.

    There is no appetite for cutbacks.

    The carbon tax as proposed doesn't even come close to narrowing the revenue gap.

    They can either pray that oil and gas royalties go back up - and well... Actually with the way royalties are set up the province gets much, much more from higher NG prices than oil prices... And NG is inching its way back up as NG power plants in the US start to go online.

    But there will still be a substantial gap. And that gap will need to be filled eventually...

    If you don't want to people to misinterpret what you write, don't be obtuse and write plainly. On the other hand that would mean you need to be unambiguous and then you'd need to have things like facts on your side.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    BoostLand
    My Ride
    something green
    Posts
    1,935
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Originally posted by 71/454



    The current government couldn't sit on their hands because they can't count on the same revenues coming in that they could in previous years because of oil being down.
    Because they ratcheted up spending.
    Thats one of things that makes me laugh at Ceci, he faults the PC's for spending like drunken sailors, then spends more.
    Too loud for Aspen

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,192
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Originally posted by 71/454
    You're not that stupid to think that's what I wrote? Oh you are, sorry to your mom.
    Zing!

    My issue isn't with the tax. It's with the fact this pack of zilches hasn't managed to propose or implement anything without having to scramble, back track and incompetently modify everything they do. It's like watching the drama students at my Junior High try and run student council. Except, you know, there's billions of dollars and people's lives on the line
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    around
    Posts
    112
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by suntan
    No, that is precisely what you wrote.
    And yet everybody but you understood it. If you need it spelled out for you next time just ask, I love teaching children.
    Originally posted by InRich
    I think it should be a MINIMUM payment of 20% across the board for any kinda house. Who can't save 20% nowadays, just stop eating out, drive a japanese shit box, and save, its not hard.. have some fucking discipline. Half you niggers shouldn't even be in the houses you live in now.

    we can't all drive X5Ms

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    1,192
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Originally posted by 71/454
    You're not that stupid to think that's what I wrote? Oh you are, sorry to your mom
    Originally posted by 71/454
    I love teaching children.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander
    Posts
    1,517
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Originally posted by Sugarphreak


    Canadian protectionism is one thing, but I am a solid believer that there should be absolutely free trade between provinces... well, except maybe Quebec simply because they don't play fair anyway.

    It might seem like a good idea to give AB brewers a leg up, until other provinces retaliate with similar strategies as a direct response. You start hurting those very brewers you are trying to help by limiting their marketing demographic.

    The only time I really support any kind of protectionism is when there are valid reasons that outweigh the economic ones. In this case, they are trying to give an economic advantage, and it will absolutely backfire in the end.
    In EVERY other province, they control who comes in via the gov distribution. Which is like the old Iron Curtain. Sure you are technically ALLOWED to import your product, but they can CHOOSE not to distribute it - or carry it but not include it in any order lists or catalogs. Or if they do, the fees and the red tape will make it impossible. Yet coming to AB was a free for all.

    Make no mistake, every other Province is completely protectionist - AB just has no tool to use other than tax/rebate. And I get it - local jobs in brewery construction, materials, wheat/ingredients, etc. Tons of reasons to support local.
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.


  14. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    BoostLand
    My Ride
    something green
    Posts
    1,935
    Rep Power
    28

    Default

    Originally posted by Khyron



    And I get it - local jobs in brewery construction, materials, wheat/ingredients, etc. Tons of reasons to support local.
    The flaw I see in this is, beer making is a skill and an artform, also the style and taste is highly subjective, if no one here makes a beer I like, I am forced to pay more and then in turn subsidize a product I will never drink. An argument could be made that over time, the beer selection could get better, locally, but no guarantee in that either.
    I hated beer for the longest time, and finally found some stuff I like to drink from the U.S., I haven't found any local stuff I would consider buying on a regular basis the exception being grizzly paw powder hound, but its far from my favorite.
    Too loud for Aspen

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Grimace
    Posts
    6,822
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    Apparently today is international beer day, perfect timing NDP

    http://internationalbeerday.com/

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...erta-1.3708496

    Our finance minister
    Money will be awarded "based on sales volumes of Alberta-made beer sold in the province," Finance Minister Joe Ceci said in a July 28 announcement.

    "There's no doubt that by investing in small brewers, we will see good jobs created for Albertans and a more resilient, diversified economy," Ceci said.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    6,860
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    ..
    Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-16-2019 at 02:07 PM.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Grimace
    Posts
    6,822
    Rep Power
    26

    Default

    ^^^I believe they have already unveiled the details so brewers can sign up
    http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/general/...all/pgmsrv457/$file/asbd-terms-conditions-schedule-a-b.pdf?OpenElement

    Still stupid.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,977
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Originally posted by Khyron

    In EVERY other province, they control who comes in via the gov distribution. Which is like the old Iron Curtain. Sure you are technically ALLOWED to import your product, but they can CHOOSE not to distribute it - or carry it but not include it in any order lists or catalogs. Or if they do, the fees and the red tape will make it impossible. Yet coming to AB was a free for all.

    Make no mistake, every other Province is completely protectionist - AB just has no tool to use other than tax/rebate. And I get it - local jobs in brewery construction, materials, wheat/ingredients, etc. Tons of reasons to support local.
    Too bad people didn't get this for far more than just local breweries.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    6,860
    Rep Power
    29

    Default

    ...
    Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-16-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Similar Threads

  1. Alberta Wide Rally againt the NDP

    By Zhariak in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 23
    Latest Threads: 10-04-2016, 03:56 PM
  2. Alberta NDP Government to run as big a deficit as the Federal Liberals

    By killramos in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 215
    Latest Threads: 04-25-2016, 10:38 AM
  3. NDP Hates TFSA!

    By schocker in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 34
    Latest Threads: 09-11-2015, 02:21 PM
  4. Alberta NDP makes spoof video.. of themselves.

    By CUG in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 12-22-2010, 02:04 AM
  5. AGLC - Alberta bans extra strong beer

    By LadyLuck in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 63
    Latest Threads: 12-17-2010, 10:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •