Quantcast
Buying used gear - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying used gear

Eh, may as well ask my question here. Are there any other places to look for used gear beyond kijiji? Any Canada-wide forums, or something?
    dv/dt

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

There are Facebook groups for the Alberta region, although they've since attracted people from Canada-Wide.

eBay of course, KEH, Adorama and B&H have used sections. I havent used Greentoe(?) but as Canadians I seem to recall being ineligible.

Fred Miranda is a common forum and has a crowd generally from the US/Canada.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    rally pig

FredMiranda forums is my go to place, with the Facebook Photo Garage sale as next
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/186164031442129/

then there's always Ebay and other online stores

Anyone else notice that the Photographer's Garage Sale Facebook group has so much hilariously overpriced stuff (often same or almost the same as new) for damaged items and people in the comments are chomping at the bit to buy? Seems like a great place to get top dollar for your stuff haha.

My Ride
    1994 Mustang, 2007 F150, 1991 Volvo 240 Wagon

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    Anyone else notice that the Photographer's Garage Sale Facebook group has so much hilariously overpriced stuff (often same or almost the same as new) for damaged items and people in the comments are chomping at the bit to buy? Seems like a great place to get top dollar for your stuff haha.
    Yes, seems like a lot of over priced stuff.
    But whenever I sell stuff on there I get a shit ton of low ballers or people asking dumb questions. Hate Facebook sale pages.

I've been seeing people selling items on kijiji for MORE than new price too, like older rebel kits.
    Last edited by NoPulp; 08-31-2016 at 12:50 PM.

1994 Mustang - SBF swap in progress

My Ride
    is broken

It goes both ways. I bought a used 7D for $600 so that was nice. But I do find it odd the people that are asking MSRP for used gear.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by NoPulp

I've been seeing people selling items on kijiji for MORE than new price too, like older rebel kits.
    I was looking at that as well, can someone explain this.

I bought my Rebel XSi a million years ago in a big package with kit lense, lowepro bag, instruction dvd's, memory cards, bunch of other stuff a million years ago for like 400 bucks from costco. I felt that that was a splurge at the time.

I thought about upgrading the body for some low light, video recording etc. improvements but fuck the new rebels are pricey for even body only. Like 600-700 bucks for a T6(x)?

You can't even buy a new out of date body for 400 bucks any more.

I check on kijiji and people are selling XSi's and their kit lens for like 300 bucks after having a few owners. Maybe i should sell mine if that's what its worth...

What happened here?

Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Delusion and exchange rate.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride

I'm not sure if its still listed, but there was a person selling a lightly used T5 kit for more money than Best Buy...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

The weird thing on the exchange rate comment is the prices aren't even really better in the US.

quickly checking best buy USA:

SL1 399 ( 60 less than the CAD price at TCS)

T5i 649? ( 134 MORE than the CAD price at TCS)

T6i 749? ( 84 MORE than the CAD price at TCS)

T6s 849? ( 65 MORE than the CAD price at TCS)

all body only prices.

Clearly best buy is the wrong fucking place to buy a camera but its not like you are getting rebel bodies for 300 bucks there. Unless best buy is making a killing on them.

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    fact.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

That's a very unexpected and unusual trend - something weird must be going on for it to be that much cheaper here in Canada for new product.

There's a reason why lots of Canadians are offloading their used stuff, and stockpiled a bunch of gear (rather were more impulsive than usual ) when the dollar was on par.

Look at Nikon's top camera body. Sells for $7,600CDN or $6,500USD.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

^ Agreed, mostly I just went into the search assuming i could pick up a new top end rebel body for 4-500 bucks again. Not so much.

Maybe the MSRP's are just out to lunch in the US and deep discounts are more the norm. TCS is always fair with their prices.

fact.

Originally posted by jacky4566

It goes both ways. I bought a used 7D for $600 so that was nice. But I do find it odd the people that are asking MSRP for used gear.
    $600 seems a bit steep for a 7D unless that was quite a while ago. Good to excellent condition 7D's are selling around $4XX-$500 CAD lately.

Fred Miranda is probably the best (though fellow Canadians are rare), or that Facebook Group (for selling).

I sold my 70-200 VR II for $200 less than I paid for it ~8 years ago in no time at all after posting it on Facebook. Person met up with me, no BS, and paid full asking price. I had a queue in my inbox of 5 people who said they wanted it at asking price.

There is some guy on there trying to get $2200 (~$150 less than new and no warranty) for a damaged 70-200 VR II haha. Another is asking ~$150 less than new for a damaged Canon 24-70 II.

There is the odd good deal on there too, but it surprises me how many people don't even do 5 seconds of price research before buying used gear. Under all these grossly overpriced items in the comments appear to be genuinely interested people who clearly have not checked what they can buy the item for brand new.

There was another person selling a D7100 + 18-140 for $850, and some lady posted saying she can get a new one for $1250 or something Price policing fail.

Kijiji is also brutal. People think that their 4-5 year old camera bodies are still worth most of what they paid for it, or asking prices on used items are within $50-100 dollars of brand new. You see the same thing with computers - they paid $2000 for it 4 years ago so it must still be worth $1500...haha.

Good to have a few options for sure but buying on forums or directly from other enthusiasts seems to usually be the best way to go.

Originally posted by killramos

You can't even buy a new out of date body for 400 bucks any more.

It's not hard to find brand new last-gen bodies for $400 or less:

http://photoexpert.com/spec-sheet.ht...#91;0]=1166438

or with lens:
    http://photoexpert.com/spec-sheet.ht...#91;0]=1239394

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

It's not hard to find brand new last-gen bodies for $400 or less:

http://photoexpert.com/spec-sheet.ht...#91;0]=1166438

or with lens:
    http://photoexpert.com/spec-sheet.ht...#91;0]=1239394
    That's actually quite helpful thanks!

Would rather get the T5i than the T5, though if they could trash that kit lens and sell the T5 for 300 bucks it would be a hell of a deal.

I see they have a T5i for 470 which is closer to what I was looking for. Would have hoped for a T6i for that ~500 range but i think I'm just out of touch at that point.

I got out of photography the last year or 2 as I found myself ruining trips focusing too much on pictures and not enough on actually enjoying places, trying to get back into it a bit after bringing my xsi to Jamaica. I really wanted to move into the 2digit range after my rebel but the prices are just too much for me and i think the benefits would nearly be lost on me.
    Last edited by killramos; 08-31-2016 at 02:21 PM.

fact.

Originally posted by killramos

That's actually quite helpful thanks!

Would rather get the T5i than the T5, though if they could trash that kit lens and sell the T5 for 300 bucks it would be a hell of a deal.

I see they have a T5i for 470 which is closer to what I was looking for. Would have hoped for a T6i for that ~500 range but i think I'm just out of touch at that point.

I got out of photography the last year or 2 as I found myself ruining trips focusing too much on pictures and not enough on actually enjoying places, trying to get back into it a bit after bringing my xsi to Jamaica.
    No problem. Check out photoprice.ca for a good summary on where the cheapest place to buy camera gear in Canada is at any given time. It's the go-to price checking website.

If you're actually shopping for something new, I don't know how invested you are with Canon on the lens side but their entry level stuff sucks these days, they have pretty much ignored it for the past several years. If you don't really care though and just take the odd snaps here and there, you probably won't notice much of a difference even from your XSi.

Just sell your stuff on the Facebook group for what you paid for it, people will probably be interested

My Ride

[B]

$600 seems a bit steep for a 7D unless that was quite a while ago. Good to excellent condition 7D's are selling around $4XX-$500 CAD lately.
    Where do you see this?
    Early this year I could find a decent used 7d for about 500-600. I don't see them come up anymore at a decent price, if they do then they're instantly gone with a mile long wait list. I wouldn't mind having a cheap second body and my only complaint about my 6d is that it's slow.

The policing on that facebook page is hilarious!

Originally posted by NoPulp

Where do you see this?
    Early this year I could find a decent used 7d for about 500-600. I don't see them come up anymore at a decent price, if they do then they're instantly gone with a mile long wait list. I wouldn't mind having a cheap second body and my only complaint about my 6d is that it's slow.

The policing on that facebook page is hilarious!
    eBay sold listings is one of my go-to price checking places. I didn't spend a lot of time looking but saw several "good" or "excellent" condition in the descriptions with a $4XX CAD sold price ($3XX USD). Granted not everyone wants to deal with eBay, it is a good reference point. I would not pay $600 for that 7 year old body personally. You can buy a used 1D MK III for not much more if you don't mind the odd blemish and want some speed with an older body.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-31-2016 at 02:36 PM.

My Ride

On facebook and even ebay canada, i see 7d for around the $650 mark. GEEZ!
    Really happy with my 6d and don't want to get rid of it, but my next addition I'd like something better for motorsports. I think a 7d would be nice, but not for the prices they've been selling at.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Kijiji is also brutal. People think that their 4-5 year old camera bodies are still worth most of what they paid for it, or asking prices on used items are within $50-100 dollars of brand new. You see the same thing with computers - they paid $2000 for it 4 years ago so it must still be worth $1500...haha.
    Yeah, I was looking for a cheap D7100 the last few weeks and there was an ad on Kijiji where the guy had his listed for $900. It was pictured with a 18-105mm but made no reference to it in the ad, so I emailed him to ask about it, hoping if his price included the lens he'd part it out so I could get the body cheaper. Nope, just the body. Then I pointed out TCS was selling the camera cheaper brand new. So he countered with $950 including the lens. What the fuck, I don't want your junk lens

Over the summer, I was in search for another 6D but people were asking way too much. Some guy on Kijiji was asking just a couple hundred bucks cheaper than new and his camera had "some minor wear": the bottom of his camera was missing chunks of paint and looked like it was dragged from a moving car. I'm pretty sure he's still got it listed on that Facebook page.

I finally found a lightly used 6D for a reasonable price, so I messaged him asking if he still had it and if he did, I'd like to pick it up. He hadn't responded so I just assumed it was gone or it was a scam. A week later he replied that he still had it. Turns out I was 30th in line, but people 1 through 29 were all lowballers so he had a lot of filtering to do before he got to me

The funny thing is if I see anything on Kijiji now that's listed for a realistic price or cheaper, I naturally assume it's stolen so I'm hesitant to even bother contacting them hahaha

^^ Haha that's brutal - you've got some good stories. Sadly not surprising at all.

If you're still in the market for a D7100, keep an eye on the refurbs. You can get D7100 refurbs in the USA for as little as $489/$635 CAD when they have them in stock (goes in waves). Right now they are a rip off ($8XX USD for refurbs) but it always changes.

Another wicked refurb deal I often see is the Nikon 24-120/4 for $529 USD / $685 CAD (in stock now). $1350 at TCS. Come to think of it I should probably pick one up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast