Quantcast
Dog Trainer Experiences? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dog Trainer Experiences?

Default Dog Trainer Experiences?

Hey all,

We just inherited a dog from my wifes sister that she can no longer take care of due to losing her place in the wild fires down in California. He is a rescue is is just over a year old now and is really a good dog and listen to us very well at home, but being a purebred Ol' Southern American Bulldog he is a big boy (over 100lbs at just over a year old) and having a natural high prey drive, while out on walks he will definitely pull hard and want to run after squirrels and other dogs etc and he is really tough to hold back for my wife. He isn't aggressive or mean and wanting to kill everything, but it is intimidating to other dogs and people as he is quite the muscle bound bully looking breed and we do not want to ever have any issues.

Because he listens so well at home and he really is one of those dogs that just follows you around trying to please you, we figure he should be quite trainable.

We are looking for a dog trainer who can work with my wife (I broke my ankle this past weekend so I will not be able to be out there walking around for training) and help us work on the prey drive issues and walking issues. As we live in Airdire, somebody who is out there or willing to come out there would be preferred but for someone who is really good and well proven we would be willing to come into town of course. It is more private, one on one lessons we are looking for.

Anyone have any positive experiences to pass on?

Here is a pic of the fella from 3 months ago when she got him. He was 9 or 10 months old here...

Last edited by tirebob; 08-04-2016 at 10:59 AM.

My Ride
    V8s

I have a little fuzzy 13lb dog who would only intimidate a <7 yr old, but have similar issues (prey drive, recall, occasional car chasing...dumbass dog), so I'm also interested in the responses. Dog is very trainable and smart, but he sometimes chooses to be very stubborn. (Live in SW Calgary though, not Airdrie)

Thanks for starting this thread Bob!

My Ride
    2009 Forester

i've had good experiences with Clever Canines

edit: they're in the SW off Macleod Trail, not airdrie. not sure if they come to you. we did a group class with them and it was great.
    Tim

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

http://www.caninebehaviourist.com/
    I had JC come to my house to look at my shiba boy 4-5yrs ago. My boy has been given up by two owners before so he is not perfect to say the least. The visit was about two hours I think and I paid him 200 bucks or so. He seems to know what he's doing.

Subscribed!

I am picking up my adopted dog today as well, 1.5 year old pitbull.

Quite experienced with dogs, but its always awesome to read other training methodologies.

Bob, I am also in Airdrie, maybe i'll see you around the parks!

My Ride
    2016 VW MK7 R ORYX DSG TECH

Hey Bob!

Check your PM
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

Last edited by Amysicle; 12-06-2019 at 09:36 PM.

Check out:
    http://www.metropawlitan.ca/

we took her classes with our rescue at especially for pets on 16th ave and found her to be a very good trainer. I think she mainly does classes of about 10 dogs, but I do remember her doing private training as well just not sure if she travels outside the city for them.

Originally posted by lilmira
    http://www.caninebehaviourist.com/
    I had JC come to my house to look at my shiba boy 4-5yrs ago. My boy has been given up by two owners before so he is not perfect to say the least. The visit was about two hours I think and I paid him 200 bucks or so. He seems to know what he's doing.
    Several years back took my dog to him, he threw a tennis ball at him, hard, as a correction method. That's not the kind of training I was interested in. Plenty of reviews on this guy online, know what you are getting yourself into.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

We just took our lab to clever canines, is was some of the best dog training I have done, would told lay recommend it to anyone.

Not everyone agrees with his methods but you can learn quite a bit about dog psychology by watching some episodes of the dog whisperer as well.

Hey guys... My wife found a lady in Airdrie here who appartly did well with some other people my wife knows and signed up for 5 private 1 hour lessons where she comes into our home and on walks with us etc, helping to train not only the dog, but us on our dog related behaviours. So far just one lesson in and 5 days of practice, our dog is definitely responding positively. The next 4 weeks will be the true tell!

My Ride
    4x4

We used a lady by the name of Cindy maynes back in the spring (unfortunately was behaviour due to major medical issue). She works with a couple rescues and training places - pretty reasonable when booked directly.

I would use her again, she was pretty awesome for 1on1 training.

Originally posted by tirebob
    Hey guys... My wife found a lady in Airdrie here who appartly did well with some other people my wife knows and signed up for 5 private 1 hour lessons where she comes into our home and on walks with us etc, helping to train not only the dog, but us on our dog related behaviours. So far just one lesson in and 5 days of practice, our dog is definitely responding positively. The next 4 weeks will be the true tell!
    Rhonda from Four on the Floor??

We just started with her as well with out chihuahua and rescued pitbull.

Originally posted by vengie

Rhonda from Four on the Floor??

We just started with her as well with out chihuahua and rescued pitbull.
    I think the girls name is Dominique? I will confirm with my wife...

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by GingeRRRBeef
    Hey Bob!

Check your PM
    This guy
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by Prail
    Not everyone agrees with his methods but you can learn quite a bit about dog psychology by watching some episodes of the dog whisperer as well.
    Not to start an argument but I've watched the show lots, read a couple of his books and used to believe his theories were sound.

However there is a massive amount of research showing his theories and methods are not only completely wrong but when applied to fearful animals can cause a backfire as you've probably seen in the behind the scenes footage where Cesar gets bit on a few occasions.

OP my first bit of advice with a rescue especially is to avoid any trainers that use aversive methods/positive punishment.

Second would be to search on the CCPDT site for certified trainers. I have used a couple in Calgary but any of them certified by them will probably be good.

CCPDT is really the only sort of regulating body for trainers. They certify trainers based on methods with scientific research to back them up. Any other form of training will be based on personal opinion and unfounded theories.

Hope that helps and good on you for stepping up!

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

Just a rule of thumb, you should only ever use positive reinforcement. There is no reason to ever use violence as a correction method. This includes striking, verbal abuse or any other physical punishment.

Dogs are usually motivated by one of three things:

Food, love, or toys.

Figure out what makes your pup click, and use it to reinforce his good behaviour.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    2016 VW MK7 R ORYX DSG TECH

Politics, religion ... dog training
    "Sic Parvis Magna"
    FKA Silver_SpecV

My Ride

Yeah, dog training can be quite the controversial topic. It's right up there with spanking your kids

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast