Quantcast
Wasp Removal - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wasp Removal

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Default Wasp Removal

Hey guys,

Anyone have any recommendations on who I should get regarding wasp removal?

I've already done 2 cans of the Wilson stuff... 1 being the normal spray and the 2nd being the foam. I then proceeded to close off the hole from where they were entering into the house with expansion foam.

Now over the last few days our basement looks like a war zone of dead bodies from dying but I would like to perhaps have this stop.

I'm looking for someone who will be crazy enough to lift up our ceiling tiles and investigate and remove if necessary.

My Ride
    Silverado

Re: wasp removal

From threads here I think all you need is some affordable housing built nearby

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    Re: wasp removal

From threads here I think all you need is some affordable housing built nearby
    Nicely done.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

So things escalated quickly and had to call someone in. Props to cancer man for putting his name in the bucket to help me out. Cost me $85 later and all nests have been taken care of.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Looks like the nests are pretty hard to get at. But lemme tell ya, if you ever have one on the side of your house, get yourself a can of brake kleen and spray it into the nest. Amazing stuff.

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Originally posted by Epididymitis
    Looks like the nests are pretty hard to get at. But lemme tell ya, if you ever have one on the side of your house, get yourself a can of brake kleen and spray it into the nest. Amazing stuff.
    For added fun, use a BBQ lighter and enjoy the show!

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

I just use a shop vac and suck the crap out of them and then spray wasp killer
    down the hose.works like a hot damn.
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/34/The_Smoking_Man_(X-Files).jpg

If the nest is acceptable I use a small propane torch. Hold it outside the entrance to the nest and their wings singe off any they fall to the ground. Just don't move or run out of propane before they're all done

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

That all works. So does soapy water. I did some reading recently and found they breathe through their shells, which are hydrophobic. However, with the soap, it sticks and drowns them. Shoot a bunch in the nest and they don't last long.

Yesterday I found about 100 wasps in a tree I planted a couple of years ago. Guess it turns out there is a major aphid infestation, and they are attracted to that. Like a boss, I went out there with a cylinder-style pump spray gun with soapy water and went nuts only a few feet away. Some were literally dropping dead from the sky. 10 minutes later, the tree was wasp free.

Not really the right course of action for nests, but these wasps were coming from a nest on a nearby property - not mine.

...the more you know.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

Had one 20ft up a tree off the deck at the lake, stood on a ladder with some snips on a stick, took a couple cuts to finally get all the little branches that it was stuck on but finally got it down, took so long though that the nest was empty by the time it was on the ground.... Went smoothly except for the first cut when I got a little too excited and tried for the ground in one step... From the 5th rung, was a little painful

The best removal was the one under the deck at home. Damn dog ate it; she had a pretty swollen nose, but no real complaints. she is a tough girl

Make sure you find the exterior holes and seal them up.

When I was doing a renovation on my nursery (remove all drywall and re-insulate) I found a basketball sized wasps nest in the wall.

The wall was around the chimney bricks, so obviously there is a sealing problem

I used spray foam to seal everything from the inside, and then I removed and redid all the silicon from the outside of the house between the siding and the brick.

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda

For added fun, use a BBQ lighter and enjoy the show!

Lmao, careful doing that, sometimes they explode!
    Im just lookin out for your eyebrows fella.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by Alterac
    Make sure you find the exterior holes and seal them up.

When I was doing a renovation on my nursery (remove all drywall and re-insulate) I found a basketball sized wasps nest in the wall.

The wall was around the chimney bricks, so obviously there is a sealing problem

I used spray foam to seal everything from the inside, and then I removed and redid all the silicon from the outside of the house between the siding and the brick.
    Yeah there is a few places I need to silicone and double check around the windows. Welcome to a 50s house with old wood and windows.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

bump from the dead, anyone have suggestions for killing wasp colony when you can't locate the nest? I suspect it's in a neighbors yard. Is there anything that they'll carry back as food that'll kill the whole nest?

This year is extra bad for wasps due to the heat, they are reproducing at a faster rate than normal. My backyard is unusable at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    bump from the dead, anyone have suggestions for killing wasp colony when you can't locate the nest? I suspect it's in a neighbors yard. Is there anything that they'll carry back as food that'll kill the whole nest?

This year is extra bad for wasps due to the heat, they are reproducing at a faster rate than normal. My backyard is unusable at this point.
    If you see them constantly coming from a certain direction/neighbors yard try putting up a whole bunch of those wasp/yellow jacket bags along your fence line to try to deter some of them?

that or spy where they are coming from and go foam spray on their asses over the fence

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Name:  20170818_141420.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  44.3 KB
    An inch of dead wasps in 24 hours. These traps are impressive. Have two others with almost as good of a harvest in same time period. Wonder how many wasps are in one nest?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Where did you get those traps from?

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by roopi View Post
    Where did you get those traps from?
    Canadian Tire

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Wasp situation is very calm, only a few flying around. Maybe the hive(s) is/are depleted?

Why would some float and some sink?
    Name:  20170819_115330.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  75.3 KB

There are still a few going into the traps, so effectiveness is lasting. None elsewhere in the yard that I can see.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Had a hornet nest (which we sprayed) but as soon as they were gone the wasps showed up. Running a couple of those traps over night and already have 20+ wasps caught.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast