Quantcast
Alberta unemployment highest since 94 - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Alberta unemployment highest since 94

Originally posted by 403Gemini

It's tricky. Our company is always looking for movers & cleaners, lately we've been getting a bunch of resumes from people with engineering degrees.... so one problem is they expect a big salary, which obviously you won't make 6 figures doing basic labour jobs. The second issue is as an employer, you know as soon as the economy bounces back they'll be out the door - so we'd rather invest in people who want/NEED the job to survive and not make it a layover career. When we hire somebody, we do it with the intent of them being a "lifer" (even though we know they likely won't be... we just want them to stay longer than a fly by night staff member). Third, it's a combination of the first two issues - people who came from making $80,000+ salary, then taking a job for $40,000 will leave you in the blink of an eye for another job offering $45,000 - anything they can do to get back to their old salary... and honestly can't blame them.
    Bit of a side track, but this sort of thing happens even with "professional" jobs. I would post for a programmer job, and always university professors would apply (even the same people when I was at different companies, lol). Of course their demands were ridiculous ($150K back in 2002!) and they had no relevant skills. Of course their cover letters would be portentous and arrogantly written.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 11:37 PM.

Originally posted by 71/454
    I think it's pretty easy to say what the cons would have done. What would have happened is another story. I see conservative posters are critical of the NDP for not making cuts. Interesting that the suggested fix for a struggling economy and people out of work is more people out of work.
    Cuts weren't even necessary. Just a hiring freeze and even minimal wage increases would've kept the deficit lower. No one was expecting a balanced budget, but the degree that the NDP have borrowed is breathtaking.

You do know the NDP have been on a massive hiring spree yes?

Also, I'll say it once again: The PCs lost because they were going to put in an extremely punitive health care premium that would've significantly raised taxes for virtually everybody.
    Last edited by suntan; 08-05-2016 at 12:24 PM.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Have you ever worked a job at Tim Horton's? Now I have not, but a friend of mine is a manger at one... the shit she puts up with, the unpaid on-call nonsense, the inability to take a decent vacation, and the extremely low pay is frankly just not worth it.
    I've worked multiple low-end jobs when I was younger.

You know, we talk about loving the free market and all that, if it was a free market internal to Canada (ie no TFW's allowed), low wages would naturally push themselves up.

So basically, Canadian's are underpaying for goods and services, OR (this is what I believe), wage growth on the upper end has been too high. But we already know that, considering the wage gap and how much greater a share of the pie the top earners in this country keep getting. :p

A great article that sums up my reasoning behind hiring overqualified people. Sure, it is aimed at lawyers and finance, but I think it is relevant and sums up any arguments I can make FOR hiring overqualified.

http://www.eremedia.com/ere/refusing...urt-your-firm/

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 11:37 PM.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I've worked multiple low-end jobs when I was younger.

You know, we talk about loving the free market and all that, if it was a free market internal to Canada (ie no TFW's allowed), low wages would naturally push themselves up.
    You really need to take econ classes.

No, that's not how it works at all.

You have to consider the elasticity of labour demand along the curve.

If all it took was to close borders to new workers, then virtually every Asian country (which are incredibly xenophobic) would be a treasure trove of proletariat riches.

Aggregate demand is the main driver of wage growth.

The "rich keep getting richer" because, well, if you have large amounts of capital you can do things that people with less capital can't do. Also government taxation policies around the world greatly favour capital over labour investment.

Yeah... Just take a class...
    Last edited by suntan; 08-05-2016 at 12:35 PM.

My Ride
    XT6

Originally posted by spike98

I didn't vote for the NDP but i'd be interested to know how the current government is the cause of the loss of jobs due to the crash in the price of oil.
    Hard to fault them for the collapse of commodities as that simply represents an ebb and flow.

With that said, very easy to hold them responsible for the prolonged recession and mass exodus of capital.

My Ride
    NC1

Jesse Ventura wants a maximum wage.

Thoughts on that? Think of all that extra money can go towards free shit for the people!
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Axis powers

As someone posted earlier, I've been denied jobs for being over qualified, was told that in the follow up call/email from the interviewer
    Sig nuked by mod.

If someone really wants a 'shitty' job it's not that tough to get. People have no issue twisting the truth on their resume to get a better job. It's just as easy to do when trying to get a job as a mover/sales person/etc. Just remove the section in your resume that says overpaid oil worker. This isn't directed at anyone in particular in this thread. I just find it sad that there are people who have too much 'pride' to take a job below them to pay the bills. If I was in the situation I would take any job I could get to support my family (and alter my resume as required to get the job).

The McDonalds touch ordering screens for example. Really how long until the burger flippers are replaced with automated machines?

The free market basically pushes people to deliver services and goods at a cheaper price. It creates more value for the company, and drives more business.
    It's already being created

Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

But they would have pushed a pipeline through that this point along with other breaks for O&G that would have stimulated things

NDP are working against O&G
    Really? So how exactly would they have pushed a pipeline into BC where the BC government blocked it and how the Keystone XL would have been built in the US while the US government blocked that too.

Blaming the NDP is like firing yet another Oilers head coach.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by 71/454
    I think it's pretty easy to say what the cons would have done. What would have happened is another story. I see conservative posters are critical of the NDP for not making cuts. Interesting that the suggested fix for a struggling economy and people out of work is more people out of work.
    I've got friends in all industries and it's funny to hear some say they are having the same or better years than previous.
    With the price of oil struggling nobody is investing in a sick horse.
    What I wont' stick it on NDP:

- Oil price and cap investment. Doesn't matter who is in charge it ain't coming back.
    - Carbon tax, we need something. If not sales tax or health care premium, this sounds good.
    - Minimum wage, it's gonna suck for it's kinda sad that starting wage of the same job that i was doing 20 years ago is only paying 10% more than I what I got paid then. There will be less job because of this but it will promote automation and efficiency and spawn another industry out of it.

What I will stick it to NDP:

- electricity contract, enact policy without reading fine print of contracts. And then go to court to fight for their fuck ups with an end game that nobody wins and affecting one of the safest employed sector.

Originally posted by Xtrema

What I wont' stick it on NDP:

- Oil price and cap investment. Doesn't matter who is in charge it ain't coming back.
    - Carbon tax, we need something. If not sales tax or health care premium, this sounds good.
    - Minimum wage, it's gonna suck for it's kinda sad that starting wage of the same job that i was doing 20 years ago is only paying 10% more than I what I got paid then. There will be less job because of this but it will promote automation and efficiency and spawn another industry out of it.

What I will stick it to NDP:

- electricity contract, enact policy without reading fine print of contracts. And then go to court to fight for their fuck ups with an end game that nobody wins and affecting one of the safest employed sector.
    You forgot increasing the royalty rate 20% in the middle of one of the worst downturns in generations. Nothing drives business away like a 20% decrease in net profits.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by 403Gemini

It's already being created

Gonna fire my cooks and get this

Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

A not-so-cgi version of the Moley Chef (least parts of the clip haha)

Or how about boston dynamics latest robot , will eliminate manual labour jobs

Last edited by 403Gemini; 08-05-2016 at 01:45 PM.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    Speaking of which... is it legal to deny someone a job they are qualified for and you haven't filled? If you get ahold of them and say "sorry, we filled the position with someone else" or "your just not the right fit for the company", but then they don't actually fill the position, is that ok? Just curious.
    What? Why is this even a question? If you're working in the real world then yes it's perfectly legal to not hire someone for whatever reason. Hell unions pull that kind of shit all the time when they file grievances when they decide that the job posting should have been a union position etc...

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by mazdavirgin

What? Why is this even a question?
    Um, because I am curious? You aren't allowed to discriminate based on XYZ right, why would you be allowed to discriminate based on "too good of an employee"?

Honest question.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

My rudimentary understanding of 'the economy' indicates that during recessive periods, increased spending would be of benefit. During prosperity, save for the 'rainy day'?

I know this oversimplifies the situation, but am I on the right track?
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by vengie

You forgot increasing the royalty rate 20% in the middle of one of the worst downturns in generations. Nothing drives business away like a 20% decrease in net profits.
    Huh?

http://calgaryherald.com/business/en...-review-report

Business tax went up, that's about it. Pipelines will have more weight than royalty when investing in AB.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast