Quantcast
Airdrie...cons? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Airdrie...cons?

My Ride
    Random cars

Originally posted by JohnnyHockey

This is what I wanted to hear...we visited showhomes today and Airdrie is literally 5 minutes total past Stoney, we live in Evanston right now and when I come home from work at 5pm from downtown I take DF and turn off at Stoney, then it's another god damn 5-10min west to get to Evanston...Airdrie just seems like it's 5 min North instead. So the commute isn't going to be much different, time-wise. The difference being I'd be going home to nice little town into a nice brand new house that I would be house-poor living in had I bought in Evanston.

Inner city is absolutely out of the question. We hibernate in the winter and we must have an interior we enjoy being in. We plan to have a kid and 1 more dog (total 3 dogs) so we need close to 2000sq ft...there is absolutely nothing at this point that can justify paying the extra $50,000 to build in Evanston especially when we factor in how much more convenient the schools are in Airdrie. Taking the Airdrie Ice is pretty enticing too as it's only $200 a month which is pretty close to what I currently pay for gas.

Thanks for all the advice!
    You don't need 2000 sq ft. You just want it. Which is fine, but don't be confused.

I used to live in Evanston and work downtown. We lived there for 13 years before moving more inner city. We had to get used to less space to fit our price range but it was one the best decisions we have made. It is more than just the commute, which is a huge plus, but the benefits are many.

My Ride
    bus

Originally posted by max_boost
    curious who is on his dbags list lol
    I think it was due to the constant bickering in the "F-150 owners, best thing since slice bread" thread.

My Ride
    changes every year

tornado emergency warning just took over my TV. good old airdrie.

My Ride
    2009 G37X sedan, 2009 Murano

Originally posted by RT16V

You don't need 2000 sq ft. You just want it. Which is fine, but don't be confused.

I used to live in Evanston and work downtown. We lived there for 13 years before moving more inner city. We had to get used to less space to fit our price range but it was one the best decisions we have made. It is more than just the commute, which is a huge plus, but the benefits are many.
    Curious to know. ..what other benefits?? We like small town living, inner city doesn't appeal to us. ..with our budget of $475,000 we'd have to buy a crack house. I'm pretty sure your budget was way more than that so you probably were able to buy a small place ya, but really nice inside as well...

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by tirebob
    I pay just a shade over 2k a year for a 400k property.
    I guess the gap has narrowed since I last checked.

For a $400K property, Airdrie is only $100 more than Calgary.

My Ride

Originally posted by tirebob
    I moved here over 6 years ago and would never move back into Calgary. The town is very nice and well run. I don't understand the high taxes comment. I pay just a shade over 2k a year for a 400k property. It takes me less time to get to work from here (McKnight and 12th street area) at 15 minutes than it did from Hawkwood in the NW which normally took 30 minutes. I find it rare to experience traffic issues more than a handfull of times a year, and even then, if you scan the traffic reports quickly before you leave, you can take a different way into town quite easily on one of the other direct routes if there is an issue on Deerfoot.

It has virthally everything you need within a couple minutes of your door, and if you really need something only Calgary can provide, it is right there.

Now obviously if you are young and into partying downtown or sampling new restaurants every other day, you will not have near as many options here, but for those of us who are more into relaxing, making a quiet family home life, knowing your neighbours and not dealing with inner city issues, it is an awesome place to call home!
    Wtf?...I paid $2500 ish for our current home assessed at $416,000.....good to know the property taxes aren't that bad.

My Ride
    4x4

Pretty sure theres a commuter bus to downtown Calgary.

But for most people considering the bedroom communities, the people who live out here - don't do it for amenities - or short commutes... it's to get away from the city...

I thrived on my commute - 45 min of quiet, to shake the cobwebs out or unwind and get into / out of work mode. hell I was doing a high river to Airdrie commute for a while - that was getting to me, no place to stop and piss around stoney/McKnight in the morning lol my only complaint...

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by AndyL
    Pretty sure theres a commuter bus to downtown Calgary
    Truth, but the 901 and 902 only come twice in the AM and then twice PM

http://www.airdrie.ca/index.cfm?serviceID=54

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Originally posted by jwslam

Truth, but the 901 and 902 only come twice in the AM and then twice PM

http://www.airdrie.ca/index.cfm?serviceID=54
    Keep in mind that the routes go on Deerfoot. While I've never taken it myself, I have heard second-hand reports that occasionally it's standing room only on the bus in the afternoon. IDK about you but the thought of standing on the bus while it's doing 100km/h down the Deerfoot during rush hour doesn't really appeal to me.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Wtf?...I paid $2500 ish for our current home assessed at $416,000.....good to know the property taxes aren't that bad.
    For 2016, it's 0.0061 of Calgary vs 0.0064 of Airdrie.

Not a lot. I guess the increase of population helped.

I remembered it used be a full point of difference, 0.005* vs 0.006*

My Ride
    99 Blazer

Originally posted by cyra1ax

Keep in mind that the routes go on Deerfoot. While I've never taken it myself, I have heard second-hand reports that occasionally it's standing room only on the bus in the afternoon. IDK about you but the thought of standing on the bus while it's doing 100km/h down the Deerfoot during rush hour doesn't really appeal to me.
    We know a different deerfoot lol. I guess it does clear after 64th. 100kmhr wouldn't bother me it would be the numerous 35-0 brake slamming that would suck

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Originally posted by Black Gts

We know a different deerfoot lol. I guess it does clear after 64th. 100kmhr wouldn't bother me it would be the numerous 35-0 brake slamming that would suck
    Oh we definitely know a different version of the Deerfoot, being at the front of the rush really helps with getting those commute times down.
    Usually I can hit 100km/h for a really short period between McKnight and 64th, they really need to redesign the McKnight, 64th and Beddington exits.

My Ride
    Civic, MDX

We (me, wife, two young kids) looked at building in Hillcrest a couple years ago, and eventually decided against it. We lived in Panorama at the time and the extra commuting from d/t was one of the deal killers for me. I found that the newer communities up there were being designed exactly the same as the newer communities in Calgary - i.e. giant cookie cutter houses on relatively small lots, backing directly onto your neighbours. And this is what we were getting sick of in Panorama. With the numbers we were looking at (via Excel homes) our mortgage would have actually increased.

Since everyone else seems to offering you their 2 cents... One suggestion I haven't read yet is to do some searching on realtor.ca around some 80's - 90's NW communities. Edgemont, MacEwan, Sandstone, Hidden Valley, Beddington etc. Your budget should get you into a 2,000 ft2 home, you'd be moving closer to inner-city without the hobos, if you spend some decent time searching you can find some great sized lots with good privacy & green space, and more young couples/families are moving into these types of communities as the original home owners become retirees & empty nesters and are downsizing. You might have some repairs and reno's to work on but ask yourself: how important is shiny new stuff inside your house compared to your lifestyle when you are outside the house?

We ended up moving into Hidden Valley last year and we are much happier.
    Originally posted by t_soarer
    ....can anyone say "retarted"?
    Originally posted by leftwing
    no more retarted 18 year old girls who fail out.
    Originally posted by benyl
    The english language is retarted...
    Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    Stanced cars look retarted anyways.

My Ride

For us, we're inside people so new home is the only option. So ya, inside is way more important than outside, especially with the yard, the bigger it is, the bigger the hassle, on top of that, we don't even get to see it 6 months out of the year in Calgary. Being in central Airdrie means we will be close to everything we need including both elementary and high schools for our future kid. It's a no brainer...I'm a car guy and I love my drives anyways so commute makes no difference, in the winter, I can even take Airdrie Ice in.

By the way, I drove by an Airdrie Ice yesterday in rush hour around 5:30pm, the thing was literally 25% full if even....

I am really looking forward to the small town living and only having to venture into Calgary for the office...
    Last edited by JohnnyHockey; 08-10-2016 at 02:52 PM.

My Ride
    G6

For us, we're inside people so new home is the only option.
    Huh?

My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R

Originally posted by Feruk

Huh?
    homebody type. Person who likes to be at home. Hence the small town idea, getting away from the world. Not knocking it, just figuring thats what he means.

My Ride
    General Motors Competizione

Originally posted by ryder_23

homebody type. Person who likes to be at home. Hence the small town idea, getting away from the world. Not knocking it, just figuring thats what he means.
    I think it's the "new home is the only option" part that's confusing. It's a weird thing to say that if you spend most of your time indoors you have to live in a new house.
    2007 GMC 2500 Duramax
    1981 GMC C1500 454

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Moved to Airdrie in May and am just loving it so far. I work out of town anyway, so the biggest knock on Airdrie (Commute) doesn't effect me. My wife's office is just off 16th on the east side of Deerfoot, and her drive is only 10 minutes more than it was from Cranston. If we were going downtown though, yeesh, I don't know. Think that'd be a little soul crushing.

You hear the 'it has everything I need" statement a lot, which is true, but what I love the most is how much faster I can get errands done. The stores are a lot closer than I ever had in Calgary.

Haven't noticed the weather being any worse than Calgary, but the weather hasn't been great in the entire province this year so who knows.

Hard to think of any Cons, yet, since we haven't been here long. So here's a few extra thoughts

-It doesn't have a small town feel, it's over 60 000 these days, that's pretty big. If that's a con or not, depends on what you want. To me it just feels like another suburb of Calgary.

-Much heavier police/peace officer presence than I'm used too. Not a bad thing, I've generally had lots of positive experiences with the RCMP compared to CPS. But I do get the impression from the peace officers that they can probably be a little cunty.

-Minor hockey for our 5 year old is hundreds of dollars cheaper here than in Calgary, BUT the kids play all the other small towns around this part of the province so there's a lot more travelling.

-Signing our kid up for school was a very easy and painless experience. It was our first time doing it so we have nothing to compare it to, but it was much easier than I was expecting. We were pretty late registering him and there were no issues with finding space or anything like that. There's a few more schools opening in the next few years as well.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by SKR

I think it's the "new home is the only option" part that's confusing. It's a weird thing to say that if you spend most of your time indoors you have to live in a new house.
    I think he thinks it needs to be new and fancy and just like they want it.

If you love being home so much, it seems ironic you're moving somewhere with a longer commute that will reduce the time you're able to spend at home

My Ride

Originally posted by blitz

I think he thinks it needs to be new and fancy and just like they want it.

If you love being home so much, it seems ironic you're moving somewhere with a longer commute that will reduce the time you're able to spend at home
    Yup that's exactly what we mean, we like being home alot and therefore we want something we like which is brand new and modern.

As far as being ironic, yes, it is a little. But we live in Evanston right now and MY commute will be an extra 20 minutes a day in normal traffic. Of course we'd love to have new and modern closer to my work but that's just not financially possible at this point in our lives.

Oh ya, and the school thing is what did it for us. All I hear from my coworkers is constant bitching about the schooling/bussing, etc....even the new school in Evanston, it's K-4 only AND you are only guarenteed a spot if you live within 1 km of it...that is such BS!

Traffic is nuts, and by nuts I mean there is so little of it haha

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast