Quantcast
How much do you typically spend on a hotel (or hostel or airbnb) per night? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: How much do you typically aim to spend on a hotel (or hostel or airbnb) per night?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • <$100

10 14.49%
  • $100 - $200

39 56.52%
  • $200 - $300

9 13.04%
  • $300 - $400

5 7.25%
  • $400 - $500

2 2.90%
  • 5* all the way, money is no object

2 2.90%
  • Other factors are more important than cost (star rating, brand loyalty, etc)

2 2.90%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How much do you typically spend on a hotel (or hostel or airbnb) per night?

My Ride
    Hybrid

Default How much do you typically spend on a hotel (or hostel or airbnb) per night?

Obviously will depend on a number of factors like destination, but generally people usually try to stay within a certain range.

Back in the day I'd look for the best hotel I could find for ~$150/night, and if I couldn't find anything good I'd hop onto Hotwire or Priceline. Over the years I've found lifestyle creep has slowly inflated that to the point where I'm currently planning a trip to do the PCH and finding my hotel bookings at $230/night on the low end and $400 on the high end (avg $290) with anywhere up to $70 valet fee (San Francisco) on top.

Starting to feel guilty as I know some well off people who stay at Holiday Inn's everywhere they go, but OTOH someone on here mentioned they spent $20k on their PCH trip.

Curious to see where my fellow ballers stand.
    Last edited by Strider; 08-07-2016 at 01:09 AM.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    SL550, P100DL, F-450, FIAT

Any hotel we book usually falls within the SPG or Fairmont brands to give us points and gold status. Granted back in the day when I was getting a hotel just to party it would be the cheapest Westin downtown.
    Now that I am older though I prefer just to have things I am used to.
    Professionally Retired

My Ride
    2015 Kia Forte5 SX

What's the pch?
    Quote Originally Posted by BavarianBeast View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Could have been over 60% if I wasn’t a paper hand bitch

My Ride
    LX 5.0

Pacific coast highway I think.

My Ride
    rally pig

We're the type of persons that are off exploring most of the day and just sleep in the room so the cheaper the better.
    I try to limit the cost of our hotels to around 100-200 per night.
    willing to spend 300-400 per night if it's a beachfront location or a place with a really nice scenic view.

Longer term (4+ nights) it is always cheaper to airbnb. I'm not sure about the states, however, in Europe o saved about 2g's by using airbnb over the course of 6 weeks.

It's nice to have things like a kitchen and an unofficial travel advisor (landlord).

I have met some incredible people through airbnb. Like taemo said, if you're the kind of traveller that uses their accommodation for an 8hr sleep and a hot shower, as long as you can tolerate the bed I wouldn't waste money on a swanky hotel. I'd rather use the money saved to blow out on a restaurant or an excursion.

Over the years I found myself remembering the sites and sounds more then the room I slept in. YMMV.

The only thing I get concerned with is room cleanliness. Pictures are deceiving. I've had 1bad airbnb experience. It was in Toronto. Make sure to call the host and get a sense for the neighbourhood before you go.

With that said, it's nice to stay at a really fancy hotel once in a while. Generally, only of the surrounding area isn't very interesting or lively to explore.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Love AirBNB for family travel because it's easier to get a three bedroom apartment or house than anything similar in a hotel. If I was traveling by myself or just as a couple, and moving every few nights, hotel might be simpler and could be done for cheaper.

Other bonus of AirBNB is discovering local neighborhoods. Hung out in the "Golden Hill" area of San Diego once, and really liked getting the local vibe there.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    NC1

Most was $350 a night. I love sleeping in a hotel. I try to look for 3* type hotels with higher ratings.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by taemo
    We're the type of persons that are off exploring most of the day and just sleep in the room so the cheaper the better.
    I try to limit the cost of our hotels to around 100-200 per night.
    willing to spend 300-400 per night if it's a beachfront location or a place with a really nice scenic view.
    x2.

Given I don't have endless money, I'd much rather find a clean, comfortable hotel and spend more money on doing things.

For folks who favour resorts, I can see why they'd spend more on a hotel.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

I try to keep things under $100 a night, especially if I am travelling alone (as is the case for about 8 weeks a year). Clean 2* hotel (with private bathroom) or better in a decent location is all I need. Only paid more than about $105/night twice...once in Paris, and the other in New York (technically Long Island City in Queens). Stayed in Central London this past June for $100/night. I often book well in advance to keep costs down (e.g. I already have a hotel booked for Tokyo for when I'll be back there in February...) A fancy hotel room is not something I need to impress myself

The main reason why I have yet to visit Boston is that I can't find a hotel room there in a central location for under $200/night. I think I need to start looking into Airbnb before I visit Boston...

My Ride
    CAEB, 6G72

I typically use VRBO, and generally try to keep it around $50/person/night. That usually allows a reasonable place, and is still cheap enough.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by Gainsbarre
    I try to keep things under $100 a night, especially if I am travelling alone (as is the case for about 8 weeks a year). Clean 2* hotel (with private bathroom) or better in a decent location is all I need. Only paid more than about $105/night twice...once in Paris, and the other in New York (technically Long Island City in Queens). Stayed in Central London this past June for $100/night. I often book well in advance to keep costs down (e.g. I already have a hotel booked for Tokyo for when I'll be back there in February...) A fancy hotel room is not something I need to impress myself

The main reason why I have yet to visit Boston is that I can't find a hotel room there in a central location for under $200/night. I think I need to start looking into Airbnb before I visit Boston...
    Thats really impressive to me, I consider keeping to the ~100 mark to be difficult in most circumstances. I think these days my average would be around $150 (which, with lifestycle creap, seems okay). Sometimes you get caught though, ie, Portland was $300 a night for a hotel which was good but unremarkable.

I will say, in spite of the logic that most of the time, its just used for sleeping - a nice hotel can really amp up an experience. I stayed in a sequence of less nice hotels in Vegas (Palazzo, Hard Rock, then Riviera ) and it made a difference in the perception of how the trip went for sure. In 2010, Palazzo w. airfare for 3 nights was about $550.

I would only do AirBnB for a longer stay, or with a big group.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    Exploded.

Whenever I do backpacking, I hostel and/or AirBnB until the last leg. Then I splurge.

High and low averages to $125-150/night

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-16-2019 at 02:05 PM.

My Ride
    "Four f***ing wheels and a seat!"

I've resorted to Hotwire when I see bookings on third party websites (usually Expedia, Trivago, or Booking for me) to be too high. Granted, Hotwire is not always cheaper, and their fees (added to the nightly price you pay) seem to have jumped in the last year or two. Travelling in the USA I also seem way more likely to get certain hotel chains (Extended Stay America and Red Lion are two that have come up many, many times for me on Hotwire). This was a few years ago, but I was able to stay at a Red Lion in Portland for $81/night over the May 2012 long weekend, and also stayed at a Red Lion in Vancouver, Washington in June 2015 (Just before Canada Day) for $85/night (would have been $97/night had I not taken advantage of a Hotwire promotion at the time).

Nowadays I usually use Trivago and Expedia first and might price compare on Hotwire, but I haven't seen substantial savings on Hotwire once all fees are added for some time now.

Just came back from a road trip along the PCH to San Fran. We usually spend around $120-ish CDN on motels. It is usually the Quality or Comfort Inns that we book and have found them for the most part to be clean and have everything we need after about 10 hours in the car.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

i would say 300-400 on average gets me what i want.

I like to be comfortable when it comes to travel.

My Ride
    LNF

I used to be in the 100-200 range but after staying in hostels in Thailand I have gotten much cheaper with spending on accommodations.

Now its <100 and always on airbnb/vrbo. I would rather spend money on food and things to do.

My Ride
    G6

Originally posted by mzdspd
    Now its &lt;100 and always on airbnb/vrbo. I would rather spend money on food and things to do.
    My thoughts exactly. If I'm going somewhere, it's not to sit in a nice hotel room.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Not sure if this works everywhere, I tends to find that whatever internet price is for a room, I can use priceline bid to get the same class or better for about 25% less than internet price.

But long stays or big groups, I prefer AirBnB and VRBO.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast