Quantcast
Looking For : Camera for vacation - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking For : Camera for vacation

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Default Looking For : Camera for vacation

Hey All,

Heading to croatia with my gf in late september, and I think I need a camera...

I have looked into all the iphone attachments but people seem to agree they are a bit of a fad and a waste of money. Im as amatuer a photographer as you can be but Croatia has some real nice stuff that Id like to capture, and hopefully do it a bit more justice than my phone can.

Budget it maybe 100-300 ... anyone have any recommendations?

TIA

All the point & shoots in the $100-300 range are virtually the same, and you're mostly paying for marketing gimmicks. They all use super tiny sensors and will be roughly the same as far as quality goes (not much different than a modern smartphone, just with a zoom lens).

The horrible Canadian dollar has made a lot of the usual bargain recommendations no longer relevant.

If you don't mind not having a zoom, this is probably the best quality-to-price ratio you are going to find in a small form factor (used to be a $1,200 camera, fantastic lens, DSLR-size sensor):

http://www.thecamerastore.com/10513-...urbished-.aspx

Second best option is probably going to be looking for a used Sony RX100 series. In your price range or a little bit above, you would be looking at the first iteration or the Mk2 (they are up to Mk4, but they are absurdly priced at $1200).

This guy is asking too much money but you might be able to get it for $300:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcor...ationFlag=true

This is an enormous step up from your typical point & shoot, and still compact.

Another thing you can do if you don't mind the size, is pick up a small entry-level DSLR but it's not going to be as portable or pocketable.

Something like this could also probably be had for $300-$350:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcor...ationFlag=true

Or if you don't mind smartphone quality but just want a zoom, you can go buy pretty much any $100-200 point & shoot that you can find on sale, and it will be very similar to a smartphone quality-wise assuming you have a fairly new smartphone.

Edit: terrible spelling
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 08-08-2016 at 05:54 PM.

A used RX100 mk1

Agree on the Sony RX series. Or just use your phone if its decent (iphone 6 etc)

My Ride
    rally pig

buy a Sony RX100 Mark III or IV, then sell it for 100-200 loss if you want to.

but if you have an iphone 6 or 6s, then i would use those instead.
    my primary camera now a days is my iphone and camera if I want to take high-res shots.

these were shot with my 6+ and briefly with a 6s+

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Hey guys thanks for all the responses. My phone is an iphone 6s so maybe i should just stick with it then? Should i look at getting these 30-80 dollar kits for a bit of optical zoom?

To taemo ^ did you use any apps or edit those photos at all? They look great! I may just be shooting in poor lighting conditions or angles that hold some of my pics back from looking like that.

Pretty well every modern smartphone is capable of pictures like that - they are basically using the same 1/2.3" (or similar) sensors as cheap point & shoot cameras now, so the quality is virtually identical to your standard $100-$200 P&S. Only catch is you don't get a zoom. Every zoom I have seen for a smartphone is pretty bad. The cameras aren't that great to begin with, so adding an awkward zoom lens to the mix doesn't seem to work so well.

Personally if I was going on a once or twice in a lifetime trip, I would want something a lot more versatile than a smartphone. If you end up wanting to print or edit some of these photos down the road, you are probably going to wish you didn't just bring your smartphone - but maybe you aren't into that. Especially in lower light situations you will appreciate a better camera.

There are cameras like the RX100 Mk1 very close to or within your budget, the Coolpix A refurb is only slightly outside your budget (no zoom on that either), or you could buy the latest & greatest RX 100 III or IV and sell it when you come home for minimal loss. You could easily get an entry level DSLR for $300 and leave it in auto mode as well. All of those options are going to give you night & day better quality files than an iPhone.

That being said, if you aren't really into photography, and at the end of the day you're just going to post a few of these photos on Facebook, your iPhone will probably be fine.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Well I think id like the flexibility of being able to print a few of these off in the future. If you look at Iphone photos on anything but an iphone or a small jpeg on the computer, it seems their quality degrades quick.

Maybe I will start hunting around for a used rx100... looks like they are 500 USD for the new models on sonys site

Is the rx100 much superior to all these various Canon powershots that can range from 200-400??
    Last edited by riander5; 08-09-2016 at 09:35 AM.

Originally posted by riander5
    Well I think id like the flexibility of being able to print a few of these off in the future. If you look at Iphone photos on anything but an iphone or a small jpeg on the computer, it seems their quality degrades quick.

Maybe I will start hunting around for a used rx100... looks like they are 500 USD for the new models on sonys site

Is the rx100 much superior to all these various Canon powershots that can range from 200-400??
    Yeah they are overpriced right now for new ones, but they have little competition so they can keep charging what they do. Again you can just buy a new one and sell it when you get home - you shouldn't lose more than $200-300 tops.

They are much better than the cheap Canon Powershot models. Larger sensor, better lens, better features, better build quality, etc.

You should be able to get a used RX 100 MK1 for $300-350. Looking at eBay sold listings, that should be a fair price for a good condition MK1 or a rougher condition MKII.

Offer that guy $300 in the Kijiji link and see what he says - I'm sure that isn't the lowest price he's been offered

My Ride
    rally pig

I use VSCO to edit my photos.

I wouldn't recommend accessories for your iphone as you'll risk of losing them and slowing you down trying to change lenses/accessories all the time.

Iphone 6s are 12mp pictures, you'll be able to make 8x10 prints very easily with those but yeah if you want to make anything bigger, then a proper camera will give you better image quality.

other than the RX100, look for the Canon G9X and G7X series, same 20.2MP sensor.

I wouldn't go for the RX100 Mk I version unless it was dirt cheap (200$ and under), spend the extra cash for II or III.

My Ride
    E46

I bought a RX100 Mk2 off of Kijiji and it is well worth the price. I opted for the Mk2 mainly because of the swivel screen.

I'll post some pics from my Japan trip on here later for you to view.

TL

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Appreciate all the feedback and help! I will begin my hunt for the mk2-3. Looking forward to seeing pics ^^

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by taemo
    I use VSCO to edit my photos.
    Taemo, you should do a class or something on cell phone photography - those are amazing!

Not to take this overly offside, but any thoughts between VSCO vs Snapseed?
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Appreciate all the feedback and help! I will begin my hunt for the mk2-3. Looking forward to seeing pics ^^
    If you are willing to raise your budget, then yeah the RX100 MK II or MK III are the obvious choices for a compact travel cam at the moment.

Biggest difference between the MK II and MK III is that the MK II has a 28-100mm F1.8-4.9 lens, where the III has a 24-70mm F1.8-2.8 lens and adds a pop-up electronic viewfinder which is handy if it's really bright out.

The MK IV mostly adds video and speed related features but is absurdly priced.

Here is over 5,000 RX 100 II photos you can look at:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/sonyrx100llphotos/pool/

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

If you are willing to raise your budget, then yeah the RX100 MK II or MK III are the obvious choices for a compact travel cam at the moment.

Biggest difference between the MK II and MK III is that the MK II has a 28-100mm F1.8-4.9 lens, where the III has a 24-70mm F1.8-2.8 lens and adds a pop-up electronic viewfinder which is handy if it's really bright out.

The MK IV mostly adds video and speed related features but is absurdly priced.

Here is over 5,000 RX 100 II photos you can look at:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/sonyrx100llphotos/pool/
    If its a camera that will stand the test of time and takes near DSLR quality photos I think its worth a bit of an investment forsure! Im looking into it... most are 450-600 i think on kijiji so far

If its a camera that will stand the test of time and takes near DSLR quality photos I think its worth a bit of an investment forsure! Im looking into it... most are 450-600 i think on kijiji so far
    Keep an eye out here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10

They sell fast but almost every RX 100 type listed is cheaper than people want on Kijiji even after 1.3 FX

You could see if this guy would sell you his without all the extras:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/top...rx100#13672964

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Keep in mind those might be USD.

The RX is an awesome series, there's a reason they continually get recommended.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Seems like a solid deal for that one w/ accessories. Wonder if I could get him down a bit to bring it in the 500 CAD range.

Come here looking for a 200 $ camera end up leaving with a 500 $ one!

I love / hate you all! Im sure it will be almost all love once I get this puppy in action (whichever one i end up getting)

Come here looking for a 200 $ camera end up leaving with a 500 $ one!
    Story of my life with almost everything

The point of diminishing return for most people in camera land is higher than the $100-300 budget unfortunately. You need to get into the range where you actually get meaningful upgrades beyond marketing fluff, otherwise you might as well buy a $100 P&S or use your phone.

If you can swing $500 or so I think you will be really happy with a used RX 100 M2 in good condition. If size isn't a concern, that also buys you an excellent entry level DSLR with lens.

My Ride
    rally pig

Originally posted by Neil4Speed

Taemo, you should do a class or something on cell phone photography - those are amazing!

Not to take this overly offside, but any thoughts between VSCO vs Snapseed?
    thanks, the preset that I use 90% of the time on VSCO is A4-A6 (free) and reason for that is because I like the colors that I get from it (reminds me of Kodak tone)
    and usually I apply some highlights recovery (+1 or +2), contrast (+1) and if I want a little of shawdow recovery (+1)
    then it's the basic cropping or straightening.

and this is how i process also my digital files on my Lightroom PC as well.
    I tried using snapseed at one point as well, great powerful app but for how I processed my shots, VSCO was a lot faster and simplier.

photography wise, the main thing to learn is composition.
    here's a good article/video about it
    http://petapixel.com/2015/03/16/9-ph...steve-mccurry/

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast