Quantcast
Quattro vs 4Motion - winter car - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Quattro vs 4Motion - winter car

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Honestly, I don't think it makes much of a difference in regards to getting going in the snow.

I loved my Quattro Audis, but at the end of the day, both systems are going to help you get going. As Boosted_TL said, winter tires are still a huge factor. Get winter tires with AWD and you're basically unstoppable.... regardless of what system the vehicle is running.

My M37x has the Attesa system. I honestly haven't researched the specifics, nor can I really comment as to whether it is better, worse, or equal to the Quattro. All I can say is that it gets me going - just like every other AWD I've been in.
    If it's the same as the G35/37x, it's 100% RWD until slip happens.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by cjblair

If it's the same as the G35/37x, it's 100% RWD until slip happens.
    Mostly, but it's 25/75 F/R up to 20km/h, then goes to rwd above that speed unless it detects slip. With snow mode activated it locks it to 50/50 F/R up to 20km/h, and reduces throttle sensitivity. Once above 20km/h there's no real difference with snow mode.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by relyt92
    Mostly, but it's 25/75 F/R up to 20km/h, then goes to rwd above that speed unless it detects slip. With snow mode activated it locks it to 50/50 F/R up to 20km/h, and reduces throttle sensitivity. Once above 20km/h there's no real difference with snow mode.
    click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Originally posted by relyt92
    Great info - thanks

Not to derail, but does anyone know how the Lexus and systems work in their is, gs, and rx? Been told for the rx it is fwd biased and the power transfer to the rears when required. And when you lock the diff, it's 50/50 like the infiniti until you hit 40km/h speeds. Not sure how the gen 2 and 3 Rx's work. And how the IS and GD and are.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disoblige View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Arash reminds me of Mar but I can't tell which one is more stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah well I wonder how they get the soft flowing caramel inside the Caramilk bar but you don't see me making a god damn thread about it. Slap your wife Baygirl, straighten him out.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by BokCh0y

Great info - thanks

Not to derail, but does anyone know how the Lexus and systems work in their is, gs, and rx? Been told for the rx it is fwd biased and the power transfer to the rears when required. And when you lock the diff, it's 50/50 like the infiniti until you hit 40km/h speeds. Not sure how the gen 2 and 3 Rx's work. And how the IS and GD and are.

Thanks in advance.
    The GS is one of the other cars I was cross shopping my G37X with so I looked into that too. It's a much simpler system, running full time at 30/70 F/R, and can go up to 50/50 if the rears start to slip. Not a very advanced system, but will still get you going no problem. I assume the IS would be the same, and no idea about the RX.

My Ride
    B5 S4, UrQ, UZJ100, 990 SMR

The generation you specified (1997-2000ish) - there is no difference between 4motion and Quattro. They are the exact same longitudinally oriented torsen based system.

I have a B5 Passat 4motion and a c5 Allroad.

Same transmission, same center and rear diff.

If you get a w8 Passat 4motion 6mt, it will have diff coolers on the transmission. That's really the only difference.
    Originally posted by InRich
    tell her I'll pick her up in the vette
    Originally posted by InRich
    The X5 i bought earlier this year really is FULLY LOADED though not a single option missing including infrared night driving

Originally posted by flipstah

Yup. I changed my controller to the HPA one to get a pseudo-50/50 split all time.

I got the competition HPA haldex controller aka "orange". Goes 50/50 depends on throttle response. Its awesome and makes regular Quattro feel like crap

My Ride

Before you buy any VW group product, get a VCDS full scan of the car. Make sure everything looks good. If there are any error codes, just expect the worst and include that repair into the purchase price.

I have the haldex based 4motion and I have no complaints. It kicks in the awd pretty early and I rarely feel the front end slip. With enough throttle, it drifts fine unlike what Japanese awd/traction control does.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Just buy something front wheel drive with a killer set of winter tires. Anything awd of that era and price point will give you headaches.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Lariat

I have owned both 4motion and quattro cars, never noticed much of a difference in winter driving.
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

honestly any AWD system that is coupled to vehicle stability control is going to give you incredible on-road traction...

IMO, the Subaru's CVT with all the recent computer aided traction aides is probably the best AWD system...

But Haldex is quite an accomplished system, used in almost all the top European manufacturers and offers the balance between performance, fuel economy and traction

My Ride
    bus

I'd trust a Subaru more than any audi out there. They are just that more reliable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2