Quantcast
Has your office/company laid people off or are they hiring? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Has your office/company laid people off or are they hiring?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes we've laid off in 2016 but there will not likely be anymore

19 23.75%
  • Yes we've laid people off in 2016 and there will likely be more

21 26.25%
  • No one has been laid off in 2016 but there will likely be layoffs in the coming months

4 5.00%
  • No one has been laid off in 2016 and there likely will not be any layoffs in the coming months

15 18.75%
  • I was laid off but have since found other employment

4 5.00%
  • I was laid off and am still looking for employment

10 12.50%
  • My company went under / other

1 1.25%
  • We have started to hire again!!!

6 7.50%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Has your office/company laid people off or are they hiring?

Which major if you are able to share? Is it the one that hasn't done (major) layoff so far?

Originally posted by zaider
    We (major O&G) are doing more layoffs. Apply for your job BS again. Still dont know if Ill be affected or not.

At the same time, we're still hiring new grads. Go figure.

Ill echo that its rough for Geologists right now. Our field geos got told that we're going from 7 GIT's to 2.

Originally posted by argent
    Which major if you are able to share? Is it the one that hasn't done (major) layoff so far?

Sounds like cnrl. They have been making folk reapply and interview for jobs.

Originally posted by KappaSigma

Sounds like cnrl. They have been making folk reapply and interview for jobs.
    Where did you hear that? I have like 10 friends at CNRL and no one has mentioned that.

Shell makes people re-interview for their jobs.

Originally posted by argent

likely Shell. Sounds like the process i went through a few months ago.

Originally posted by lasimmon

Where did you hear that? I have like 10 friends at CNRL and no one has mentioned that.

Shell makes people re-interview for their jobs.
    Ive heard it done only in the field for operators.

My Ride
    '16 WRX, '23 CX-50

Originally posted by schurchill39

Not only are they cheap but when all of your experienced guys quit or retire you need to be developing a team to fill those rolls. That was our big contention when they did layoffs at my office and management sat our group down and explained the strategy. I still think its horseshit but from a business perspective I understand it.
    Someone should tell that to management at my company...a good chunk of people we let go were new grads/people with less than 5 years experience. Packaged out a few seniors too.

Of course, all that G&A "savings" doesn't really mean much when you go and hire/promote about 100 VP's immediately after...

I had thoughts that all layoffs at shell recently is the actual implementation of their announcement earlier this year.

Originally posted by sabad66

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by cyra1ax
    Of course, all that G&A "savings" doesn't really mean much when you go and hire/promote about 100 VP's immediately after...
    Yup. Sounds like a lot of offices all right.

Originally posted by sabad66

There were some layoffs in the RE group last week.

Big surprise: not the usual drawn out process. It was basically immediate layoffs. Could be a precedent change, although it may just be because they laid off something like 90% of the staff.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

We had some layoffs, I was never let go but did go on EI for a while just because the company had no work. But as of June we're back going full tilt and even did some hiring

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

I'm still looking for meaningful work in my field that's not at bargain basement rates. It's starting to look like I might have to head to the middle east for a year or so in order to keep my career in an upward trajectory. Anyone had experience working in Qatar?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-16-2019 at 02:14 PM.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Finally an update, I'm hammering out the details with a company right now on a business analyst role after 3 months of back and forth with interviews. It's outside of the oil and gas industry, and pays comparable to my old role at Sanjel (which went under, and expected 100hour work weeks compared to 40). I should be starting right after I graduate from sait (September). Overall it looks like the planets aligned, I managed to get laid off and get a modest package before the company went under (and no one got packages), got into a wait listed fast track business intelligence program at sait, finished the program and got right into a job within 8 months.

Needless to say it's a lot of weight off my shoulders, when I start up work I have some debt to pay off (school fees, etc.) but I didn't have to sell anything major because my gf has a stable job, and we cut expenses for the past eight months.

Best advice I have is network and be very flexible, I had a couple of other opportunities by pulling experience to become eligible for new head roles (technically full time at sait, so I dropped a few older roles so HR wouldn't think I was applying with 6 years experience), and networking at events that weren't directly related to my job, but had crossover skills (Microsoft power bi user group, etc.)

For those interested, the sait fast track program was surprisingly useful for me, it's something I've considered for a couple years but the timing never worked out. They have a few IT focused areas, I picked business intelligence and data warehousing due to my background in consulting and supply chain. If anyone has questions, feel free to ask or shoot me a PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Good job Finboy.

Nice that you thought "outside the box" improved yourself and are now moving forward. More people would benefit if they took notice and did the same thing.

Originally posted by OU812
    Good job Finboy.

Nice that you thought "outside the box" improved yourself and are now moving forward. More people would benefit if they took notice and did the same thing.
    Well done Finboy!

Thinking "outside the box", meaningful networking, building on existing skills with education. While not a complete recipe, it does seem these techniques are common among those of us who've secured employment. I will admit a little bit of luck might also help, although right place right time probably falls under networking.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Skateboard

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Did an interview today in the morning. They called me back with an offer this afternoon and I accepted. So yeah, looks like I am off to Vancouver.
    Congratulations Sugar. Are you completely uprooting? Sold the house?

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Did an interview today in the morning. They called me back with an offer this afternoon and I accepted. So yeah, looks like I am off to Vancouver.
    Maybe I should take up auto x again...

Sorry to see you go in all reality.

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Well done Finboy!

Thinking "outside the box", meaningful networking, building on existing skills with education. While not a complete recipe, it does seem these techniques are common among those of us who've secured employment. I will admit a little bit of luck might also help, although right place right time probably falls under networking.
    Thanks guys.

This really seems to be the thing that is working, one thing I really learned from being laid off in '14 was that you have to be doing SOMETHING to show you are building skills. It paints a better picture of who you might be as an employee, and what you might do during slow times. Being a student also gets you WAY more opportunities to meet people, it's surprising how many people would rather help a student or someone starting out a career direction rather than someone just asking "anything open at your company?"

Another note, have your references sorted, 3 of mine are on vacation right now which has delayed the process. Some companies have been using third parties for their background/reference checks so there is less wiggle room on who/timeframe of your references.
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-16-2019 at 02:14 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

congrats freak.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast