Quantcast
Has your office/company laid people off or are they hiring? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

View Poll Results: Has your office/company laid people off or are they hiring?

Voters
80. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes we've laid off in 2016 but there will not likely be anymore

19 23.75%
  • Yes we've laid people off in 2016 and there will likely be more

21 26.25%
  • No one has been laid off in 2016 but there will likely be layoffs in the coming months

4 5.00%
  • No one has been laid off in 2016 and there likely will not be any layoffs in the coming months

15 18.75%
  • I was laid off but have since found other employment

4 5.00%
  • I was laid off and am still looking for employment

10 12.50%
  • My company went under / other

1 1.25%
  • We have started to hire again!!!

6 7.50%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your office/company laid people off or are they hiring?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by vengie

That's actually shocking he would turn that down... I'd rather have something in the interim. Unless he has the financial means to just sit and wait.
    I can't imagine turning down $1k per day. Sure, it's not the guys usual rate, but jeez. That would be like me turning down working a weekend, there basically isn't anything that would cause me to do that.

I'm actually getting worried in the public sector. Things are dead slow for us (summer is usually slow season, but this time is really bad). We had 8 people "leave" the other week, some may have been retiring, some may have been laid off, some may have got new jobs, but nobody really knows. I think a lot of the people 55+ are waiting to see if they can score a package rather than quit.

It's irritating, as I could be doing something somewhere more useful, probably earning more money, but it would be ridiculous to give this job up with the way the economy currently is. Beyond that, its too late in the year to sign up for post-secondary, so I'm crossing my fingers I can tough it out for the next 8 -10 months.

I just want my severance damnit

My Ride
    G6

Layoffs in January and limited "retirements" since. We're only rehiring for any positions where people quit or are replaced with superior staff. Great time to replace all that dead weight. Intermediate producer.

Originally posted by Inzane
    $1000-1800/day for a geologist?

Is that a baseline salary, or does that have tonnes of implied overtime built into that at x1.5-x2 multipliers?
    Its for sitting a rig. Thats your total pay. Maybe plus km's or something I am not totally sure. Probably 12 hour shifts either nights or days.

My Ride
    2020 Genesis G70

I changed jobs this year (own choice). Company I was with was O&G and had laid off in 2015/2016, with more expected (I still have some close connections there). New company is more commercial/infrastructure which has been impacted by the AB economy in general, but not as much. Fairly stable, the odd strategic layoff and the odd hire.

As for me, I took a $34K a year pay cut in base wage and even more considering LTI and bonus potential. I would have still been working at the old place as my position was replaced, however my stress levels went from 11 to 2 and I am about to take my 3rd and 4th week off in just 7 months.

That's kind of like what some of my friends are going through. Some are certain their number is up any day and want to leave on their own terms to avoid a gap in employment. Others aren't sure but say they'd rather be packaged out and then start looking. Personally I think I'm at least safe in the short to medium term, but I can't decide which of my friends are crazier. Either leaving before getting a package or knowing it's coming and just waiting for it.

Another guy, friend of a friend, took his package and bought a toy with it. Won't even look at anything below what he was making earlier, and is now this close to having to sell his house. Unbelievable, give your head a shake FFS.
    Last edited by zieg; 08-10-2016 at 12:07 PM.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by Inzane
    $1000-1800/day for a geologist?

Is that a baseline salary, or does that have tonnes of implied overtime built into that at x1.5-x2 multipliers?
    $1,800 is on the higher end for guys who have been working as Wellsite Geologists for 30+ years. You also need to account for not working 4-6 months of the year, having a schedule that is your entire life and drive across the province at a whime. You also need some equipment and software but really, it's a big cost at first then rarely gets replaced.

Fresh out of school, you're looking at ~$700/day (including everything) + ~$1/km for travel to/from site. Typically it's two guys working 12 hour shifts but for easy wells like Montney stuff, it's one person. After the first year you start charging more.

Directional drillers are commonly $1000-$1,500/day, MWDs are around there too depending on the tools ran and experience, as are the Consultants/Engineers/Company Reps/Whatever other titles they have. The Tool Push I'd imagine is somewhere in that range as well but out of all the top-earners out there, I'd say these guys have it the worst (from what I've seen).

Guys out there get paid way too much, myself included when I was working out there. My co-worker and I would just laugh at how ridiculous it was how much money people made for watching TV for 30% of their shift, and then complain when any cut come like they can't make ends meet. Someone turning down work at $1,000/day is a perfect example of the entitlement throughout the industry, especially in the field. But if someone is gonna pay you more, I suppose just sit tight and wait...
    Last edited by msommers; 08-10-2016 at 12:11 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Thanks for the post – it is very informative.
    Though all in all, made me feel less sorry to the story I read the other day of a number of geologists “complained” about how bad it is for them. Some gals from the industrial association claimed that the unemployment rate for geologist in AB is now closer to 50% (not sure how she came up with the number) and it is very bad for fresh grads.
    Personally I know a 2 geologists move out of provinces doing something else.

Originally posted by msommers

$1,800 is on the higher end for guys who have been working as Wellsite Geologists for 30+ years. You also need to account for not working 4-6 months of the year, having a schedule that is your entire life and drive across the province at a whime. You also need some equipment and software but really, it's a big cost at first then rarely gets replaced.

Fresh out of school, you're looking at ~$700/day (including everything) + ~$1/km for travel to/from site. Typically it's two guys working 12 hour shifts but for easy wells like Montney stuff, it's one person. After the first year you start charging more.

Directional drillers are commonly $1000-$1,500/day, MWDs are around there too depending on the tools ran and experience, as are the Consultants/Engineers/Company Reps/Whatever other titles they have. The Tool Push I'd imagine is somewhere in that range as well but out of all the top-earners out there, I'd say these guys have it the worst (from what I've seen).

Guys out there get paid way too much, myself included when I was working out there. My co-worker and I would just laugh at how ridiculous it was how much money people made for watching TV for 30% of their shift, and then complain when any cut come like they can't make ends meet. Someone turning down work at $1,000/day is a perfect example of the entitlement throughout the industry, especially in the field. But if someone is gonna pay you more, I suppose just sit tight and wait...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by argent
    Though all in all, made me feel less sorry to the story I read the other day of a number of geologists “complained” about how bad it is for them. Some gals from the industrial association claimed that the unemployment rate for geologist in AB is now closer to 50% (not sure how she came up with the number) and it is very bad for fresh grads.
    Take quotes about wellsite work with a grain of salt, that's not what all or even many geologists do in the industry its also not the kind of work for everyone. I certainly wouldn't hire any green geologists out of school to do wellsite either right now. Things really are horrendously bad for geologists here in town. If you graduated with a geology degree in the past couple years, You probably don't have a job, at least in O&G.

Development budgets are pretty decimated right now and there isn't much Calgary staff geologists can transition to if capital spending has been completely eliminated. This is especially true if the companies plays are already fairly mature and worked up. You can get away with a fairly lean geology staff in that sense. Most of our geologists have been idling for quite a while and that's with 2 relatively new-to-us plays in house.

A buddy of mine just graduated with a geo degree and it was completely dry for him, he is going back to school for a business degree come September. Gotta do what you gotta do
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by argent
    Personally I know a 2 geologists move out of provinces doing something else.

Yes, this is for Wellsite Geologists specifically which is very different than someone working at an environmental firm, Husky or Cardinal Energy as duties and pay are drastically different.

Being a Geologist right now is absolutely brutal, make no mistake.

My start into Wellsite Geology was to get field experience, make contacts and find an office position as folks with much more experience had advised, which I did, since my initial position got reorganized. In a few years of doing that, it became apparent and also advised from others than I had to make a move somehow or be stuck doing that for a career. So I'm back in school for my MSc. at 30 years old. It's absolutely shitty and am really questioning if I want to go back to the industry at all.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Silverado

One geologist I know was laid off over a year ago, went back to school for an unrelated masters.

Another one couldn't find a job for a year out of school and ended up in an unrelated field with a large chip on his shoulder.

My Ride
    Ford F150

I was just offered to go back to being an MWD consultant for $475/day 50% pay cut. I guess it's better than a kick in the pants.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by vengie

That's actually shocking he would turn that down... I'd rather have something in the interim. Unless he has the financial means to just sit and wait.

That said, for myself personally, i'd rather get back to work, have consistent cash coming in (rather than burning savings), keep sharp, and look for new opportunities making what he was, in ~6 months to a year when things are full bore again.
    He doesn't need the money. Was very smart and lived a modest lifestyle. Has no children and is basically retired at the age of 49. He day trades and makes a very good living doing that.

My Ride
    Boring. And a motorcycle.

We (major O&G) are doing more layoffs. Apply for your job BS again. Still dont know if Ill be affected or not.

At the same time, we're still hiring new grads. Go figure.

Ill echo that its rough for Geologists right now. Our field geos got told that we're going from 7 GIT's to 2.
    The Ex: 2002 Subaru 2.5RSTi w/ JDM V7 STI Swap, JDM 6-Speed Trans, Dom 1.5XTR, ST Coilovers
    The Ride: 2014 Ducati Multistrada S, Tuneboy w/ CC
    Daily: Boring Volvo.

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by zaider
    We (major O&G) are doing more layoffs. Apply for your job BS again. Still dont know if Ill be affected or not.

Ill echo that its rough for Geologists right now. Our field geos got told that we're going from 7 GIT's to 2.
    Nothing to figure out there, new grads are cheap.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

**SNIP**
    **SNIP**

Originally posted by cjblair
    Nothing to figure out there, new grads are cheap.
    Not only are they cheap but when all of your experienced guys quit or retire you need to be developing a team to fill those rolls. That was our big contention when they did layoffs at my office and management sat our group down and explained the strategy. I still think its horseshit but from a business perspective I understand it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Boring. And a motorcycle.

Oh. I understand that it makes sense on a balance sheet, but its short sighted because without the senior folks around, there's nobody to teach the new engineers what works and what doesn't. You end up making the same mistakes over and over. Tougher to quantify though.

It also sucks having to sit down an EIT who's a year out of school and tell them they're not safe but oh, would they mind grabbing the new computer from IT for the new hire?
    The Ex: 2002 Subaru 2.5RSTi w/ JDM V7 STI Swap, JDM 6-Speed Trans, Dom 1.5XTR, ST Coilovers
    The Ride: 2014 Ducati Multistrada S, Tuneboy w/ CC
    Daily: Boring Volvo.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by schurchill39
    Not only are they cheap but when all of your experienced guys quit or retire you need to be developing a team to fill those rolls. That was our big contention when they did layoffs at my office and management sat our group down and explained the strategy. I still think its horseshit but from a business perspective I understand it.
    Management 101.

You only care about now and not 4 years from now when you get promoted or moved away to a different company/post.

So do whatever you can to make now looks good on your resume.

The exact same shit happened in the 90s. So many companies were short of seasoned staff by late 90s and had to externally hires for talent to coach their own.

My Ride
    TL

Oh. I understand that it makes sense on a balance sheet, but its short sighted because without the senior folks around, there's nobody to teach the new engineers what works and what doesn't. You end up making the same mistakes over and over. Tougher to quantify though.

It also sucks having to sit down an EIT who's a year out of school and tell them they're not safe but oh, would they mind grabbing the new computer from IT for the new hire?
    I don't get this mentality either. Hiring new grads and laying off older employees somewhat makes sense. But I've seen experienced grads (2-3 years exp) get let go and they hire new grads (0 years exp) at the same time.

Barely saving $, and the risk/reward is not really logical. Unless there's some gross complacency with the experienced grads, it's a dumb play.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

G&A reductions are all based on percentages for shareholders. They don't worry about how efficient the company actually is.

I don't think anyone on my team has >10y experience, the average is probably like 5.
    dv/dt

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast