Quantcast
Electric Bike Kits - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Bike Kits

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Default Electric Bike Kits

Looking for some suggestions for an electric bike build for a 45km round trip commute. I am looking for a used bike under $1000. Must have disc brakes, must be able to accommodate fenders/back rack.

Commute is 70% highway, 30% city, all paved road. I've been looking at something like the cannondale bad boy, giant seek, other suggestions? Thanks

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Well, I bought a like new 61cm 2015 Kona Sutra last night. It's a touring bike that comes kitted with full fenders and a back rack. I'm planning on buying a bbshd from Luna cycle and adding it to the bike ASAP so I can start commuting full time by bike.

Really looking forward to biking again.

Originally posted by project240
    Well, I bought a like new 61cm 2015 Kona Sutra last night. It's a touring bike that comes kitted with full fenders and a back rack. I'm planning on buying a bbshd from Luna cycle and adding it to the bike ASAP so I can start commuting full time by bike.

Really looking forward to biking again.
    Take a look at biktrix. they're out of sask and they sell complete bikes and bafang kits. When I built mine (bbs02), I was going to order the kit from Luna, but the batteries must be shipped via UPS (hazardous materials) and I didn't feel like eating the brokerage and fees. shipping from biktrix was $50 and was here in 2 days. They don't have as many options and the prices aren't quite as good, but overall I found them to be pretty competitive
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

I actually looked at them a little while ago and compared the prices... Even with the added exchange, duty, shipping cost, biktrix was still about 15% higher and has quite a few less options available. I'll check them out again though before ordering...

Did you install the kit yourself? Any issues during install or since then? Tips?

Originally posted by project240
    I actually looked at them a little while ago and compared the prices... Even with the added exchange, duty, shipping cost, biktrix was still about 15% higher and has quite a few less options available. I'll check them out again though before ordering...

Did you install the kit yourself? Any issues during install or since then? Tips?
    They do have less options, no 52V packs, no throttle options, limited controller options, but for the configuration I selected, Luna's price ($1093.95) was $100 less than my final cost with biktrix ($1202.90), but that was before brokerage/fees/duties. One guy on the electrikebike forum said his total brokerage was in the $150 range, so I think I still came out ahead.

Did the install myself, no real complications. I found that I needed some washers to get the mounting plate tightened up and level. also tightening up the locking nuts was challenging. I don't have spanner wrench so I ended up using a pair of channel locks, but it did mangle up the ring a bit and I had a harder time getting the outer locking ring on.

Had it installed since the first week of may, and haven't had any issues with it. Let me know if you want to take a look at it
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Thanks for the offer, I would actually love to take a look, but I don't live in Calgary anymore. I contacted biktrix directly (after seeing they now carry 52v batteries) and they came really close to being on par with Luna price wise for product only, not taking s/h or brokerage into consideration. Placing my order today, really looking forward to trying it out.

The 52V batteries are pretty new then. They're definately a good option north of the border. Keep on top of Roshan, I found that he'll tell me he's shipping something, but he doesn't actually do it for a few days or a week afterwards.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Haha, yep, I can see why you say that... When I tried to order last week, he told me he was out of stock and would contact me early this week when stuff came in. I ended up contacting Luna same day and have now decided my shipment and still haven't heard back from Biktrix, haha.

Cost me right around $1700 Canadian including shipping and $123.xx UPS cash grab. I tore apart my bottom bracket last night and fitted motor... Hope to get everything up and running tonight. Will post a few pics when complete.

Did you go with the BBSHD or the BBS02? I picked up a lekke bling ring and the chain line looks better than the stock ring, and seems to makes less noise, creaking. It rubbed against my battery a bit, but got that sorted with a little adjustment.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

I bought the bbshd. I have put on about 220kms in the first week or so that I have had it and I love it. I'm using the stock 46T ring and it seems to be working great. Yesterday was my first commute to work with it. 10.5 miles in 38 minutes... This morning 10.5 miles in 33 minutes. I don't actually use the throttle ever (yet) and have only use pedal assist level 1 unless I'm going up a hill.

I bought a 13.5ah battery and am now am around 60km on this charge and battery still has well over 50% life left.

Here's a couple pictures of my setup...

As I age and now ponder the fact that I'm not invincible and more so lazy, I've been considering a project such as this.

Thanks for the great info everyone.

What's the road / sidewalk legalese of such a setup, and project240, my ass hurts just looking at that seat

Thaco is offline sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    My Ride
    Rage2

Originally posted by Seth1968
    As I age and now ponder the fact that I'm not invincible and more so lazy, I've been considering a project such as this.

What's the road / sidewalk legalese of such a setup, and project240, my ass hurts just looking at that seat
    http://www.transportation.alberta.ca...PowerBikes.pdf

basically under 500w, under 32km/h, motorcycle helmet required
    User title molested by Rage2.

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Quote Originally Posted by Misterman View Post
    No logic, thought, input, etc from cult member...

hahahaha, motorcycle helmet with a max speed of 32kph
    heloc that shit

Wow, nice setup! I definitely want to try some lighter hub motors and crank motors on future builds. Weight distribution must be nice on that setup.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by Seth1968

Bicycles (powered or not) aren't allowed to be ridden on sidewalks for people over 14.

Powered bicycles aren't allowed on pathways
    http://www.calgary.ca/CA/city-clerks...ksPathways.pdf
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Haha Seth, yes, the seat sucks and is on my upgrade list... I love this setup because I still get to pedal my ass off, I just go faster doing it.

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by phreezee
    Wow, nice setup! I definitely want to try some lighter hub motors and crank motors on future builds. Weight distribution must be nice on that setup.

Yeah, the bike is balanced really well. I may or may not have had it up to 65km/hr on a wide open stretch of highway. I may or may not typically cruise at about 40km/hr.

I imagine on a mountain bike it would be a bit slower and a bit more comfortable.

You didn't happen to order a programming cable with your kit, did you?
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

No, I didn't. I ended up ordering from Luna after getting a bit of a runaround from Roshan. I just asked Luna to remove speed limits, etc... What were you wanting to reprogram?

the c963 display from biktrix isn't behaving as expected, and also has a 40kph limit on it. I see that the luna ones are all no speed limits. After riding with it for a while, there's settings I'd like to change, like motor cut off for shifting, the speed limits at each PAS level etc. looks like I'll have to wait till the cable is back in stock at luna
    heloc that shit

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast