Quantcast
Memorial drive speed being reduced to 50kph - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 42

Thread: Memorial drive speed being reduced to 50kph

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500
    Posts
    5,006
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    "We're going to make these changes to speed up traffic flow, but since that sounds oddly like doing something good for people that drive cars, we're also going to slow them down."
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    428
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Just got back from a 5 week stay in Cali.

    Our speed limits are so stupidly low. It fucking hurts. Honestly.

    A road here is 50 kph. In cali, it would be 40mph. So 70 kph.
    teamsnowcat.com

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    21,086
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally posted by snowcat
    Just got back from a 5 week stay in Cali.

    Our speed limits are so stupidly low. It fucking hurts. Honestly.

    A road here is 50 kph. In cali, it would be 40mph. So 70 kph.
    I was in BC for the last 4 weeks and even there the new highway speed limits are awesome. I rarely found myself speeding. Goes to show how backwards we are when BC is doing it right.

    To be honest, I'm surprised they didn't drop that section of road to 30km/h being in the proximity of Sunnyside.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Online
    My Ride
    Budget Baller
    Posts
    10,208
    Rep Power
    31

    Default

    lol Calgary. I hope the people riot due to all the excessive ticketing.
    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In Beyond We Trust

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    220
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    You know when the city is poor when........
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500
    Posts
    5,006
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Originally posted by Power_Of_Rotary
    You know when the city is poor when........
    gotta do something to fund whatever the next social engineering project the purple people dream up is.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Grimace
    Posts
    6,527
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Originally posted by rage2

    I was in BC for the last 4 weeks and even there the new highway speed limits are awesome. I rarely found myself speeding. Goes to show how backwards we are when BC is doing it right.

    To be honest, I'm surprised they didn't drop that section of road to 30km/h being in the proximity of Sunnyside.
    How else do you expect the police to get more money if they can't tout their HUGE numbers of speeding tickets given out that clearly require more enforcement not an actual review of speed limits (Both up or down).

    inb4 people who say they are low because we have winter.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    21,086
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally posted by schocker
    inb4 people who say they are low because we have winter.
    BC has a fix for that too. Variable speed limits. The signs are all electronic, and the speed limits change in poor driving conditions.

    http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/tr...e-speed-limits
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Grimace
    Posts
    6,527
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Originally posted by rage2
    BC has a fix for that too. Variable speed limits. The signs are all electronic, and the speed limits change in poor driving conditions.

    http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/tr...e-speed-limits
    That is pretty cool. Doubt we would ever see something like that here though, it is too smart
    Those would work great on stoney, 2, 1 etc.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cowtown
    My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5
    Posts
    6,000
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    While I'd love the speed signs they have in BC, where is that money in Alberta going to come from? A PST?

    Something else I'd love here is having semis restricted to the right lane in the highway and also at a slower speed limit. Watching two semis pass each other feels like eternity!
    Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    633
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I use this intersection daily as I live in renfrew just up the hill - the dual left is a good idea because asshats do it anyway during rush hour. the road going to centre doesnt have to be 50 though - what is that about!?

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Red Deer, Alberta
    My Ride
    1995 WRX STi
    Posts
    1,556
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by msommers
    While I'd love the speed signs they have in BC, where is that money in Alberta going to come from? A PST?
    Yes, because having some signs that change dependent on weather is SOOOO expensive that we need a PST

    WTF is wrong with you?

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stampede Central
    My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'
    Posts
    1,823
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally posted by HiTempguy1
    Yes, because having some signs that change dependent on weather is SOOOO expensive that we need a PST
    Where else would the donut fund come from with all the reduced speeding tickets?

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Calgary AB
    My Ride
    S2K
    Posts
    2,276
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally posted by HiTempguy1


    Yes, because having some signs that change dependent on weather is SOOOO expensive that we need a PST

    WTF is wrong with you?
    In all fairness, it probably cost a shit ton of money to implement a system like that, when compared to traditional steel signs. And yes, obviously that number on it's own is not enough to justify implementing a PST haha.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cowtown
    My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5
    Posts
    6,000
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Originally posted by cjblair


    In all fairness, it probably cost a shit ton of money to implement a system like that, when compared to traditional steel signs. And yes, obviously that number on it's own is not enough to justify implementing a PST haha.
    The pilot project for 3 areas cost 12.5million. Not sure what the cost would be to implement it province-wide.

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...mits-1.3613899

    Regardless, BC has the money to do projects like this, which I would guess is a result of added revenue from PST. Does that mean we would add PST just for this project in Alberta? As you say, obviously not.
    Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Red Deer, Alberta
    My Ride
    1995 WRX STi
    Posts
    1,556
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by cjblair


    In all fairness, it probably cost a shit ton of money to implement a system like that, when compared to traditional steel signs. And yes, obviously that number on it's own is not enough to justify implementing a PST haha.
    No disagreement from me on any of this, just the premise was dumb.

    You don't need these everywhere in the province, just on busy thoroughfares.

    However, I disagree with the concept. Part of the reason people are such poor drivers is the complete information overload while driving plus inane rules that distract the general individual from not focusing on good driving, but focusing on not breaking the rules.

    And to add to all of this, Edmonton doesn't need changing signs. FML, it was a decent downpour this morning and everyone was driving 10 under

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3
    Posts
    1,649
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    .
    Last edited by codetrap; 12-31-2016 at 12:44 PM.

    "We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    .
    Posts
    4,863
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    The fact that we need signs to tell us when conditions are poor and going slower than the posted speed limit may be a good idea is kinda sad.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Nowhere
    Posts
    6,804
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    ...
    Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-16-2019 at 02:23 PM.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Edmonton
    My Ride
    LNF
    Posts
    385
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by HiTempguy1


    And to add to all of this, Edmonton doesn't need changing signs. FML, it was a decent downpour this morning and everyone was driving 10 under
    They actually set up variable speed limits in Edmonton on the Whitemud and it was a joke.. They would just drop the speed limit to 50 during busy times. It did nothing to help traffic. But typical Edmonton, half assing projects and never would they increase a limit during slow times (late evening or overnight)

    However, if you go to Seattle, you will see a limit system that works. They have limits in each lane and they warn you of upcoming debris or accidents. It works great (at least when I was there for a week).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 122
    Latest Threads: 03-18-2019, 02:01 PM
  2. is there a speed camera on memorial/crowchild?

    By black13 in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 11
    Latest Threads: 10-03-2009, 08:20 PM
  3. The Memorial Drive Lane Reversal

    By 2soobies4me in forum General
    Replies: 25
    Latest Threads: 05-11-2008, 05:05 PM
  4. anyone know what happened on memorial drive?

    By lexIS300 in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 12
    Latest Threads: 01-16-2008, 08:19 AM
  5. Group of Bikes on memorial. DONT SPEED THERE!

    By Ben in forum Street Encounters
    Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 09-02-2004, 02:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •