Quantcast
Do I need to provide PHYSICAL copies of my license and registration? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Do I need to provide PHYSICAL copies of my license and registration?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    (maah raahde)
    Posts
    5,660
    Rep Power
    25

    Default Do I need to provide PHYSICAL copies of my license and registration?

    A question I've wondered about that maybe one of our resident police officers can answer: if I'm in a situation where I've been pulled over and I happen to be without either my license and/or registration, will a presenting a scanned image or photo of either on my phone suffice?

    I can't find anything that suggests they will or will not accept it. Granted, this means if a police officer was willing to accept a digital copy I'd have to surrender my phone while he or she takes it back to their vehicle to write me up or validate my information, but it sure beats being fined for failure to produce documents on top of any violations that may be coming my way.

    How long until someone reposts rage's pedo license? Haha

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    N/A
    Posts
    2,961
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Alberta's TSA section 167(1) would seem to indicate you would need the actual physical DL and vehicle registration..
    Ciao, beyond.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    calgary ab
    My Ride
    4x4
    Posts
    2,245
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Pretty sure I took a ticket once for photocopies of reg/insurance (company kept originals in the office).

    I'm 99% positive police don't have to accept digital anything. Insurance they usually seem to accept - unless you're deemed to be a douche or in need of an imposition of the stupid tax...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    1,750
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally posted by AndyL
    Pretty sure I took a ticket once for photocopies of reg/insurance (company kept originals in the office).

    I'm 99% positive police don't have to accept digital anything. Insurance they usually seem to accept - unless you're deemed to be a douche or in need of an imposition of the stupid tax...

    Yea I know for a fact AMA will accept digital copies of insurance when registering vehicles so one would think a police officer would too. But they may argue the law is that you must produce the papers not just prove you have them.

    As for the reg and licence I don't know. If you can provide insurance, have a valid sticker on your plate and the cop can see on his screen who the car is registered to I don't see the logic behind ticketing someone but then again I'm not a cop.

    Seems like a stupid outdated system. I hate carrying around papers with all my information on them.
    Last edited by J-hop; 08-21-2016 at 12:40 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    The White Ghetto
    My Ride
    Altima Se-R
    Posts
    2,181
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    I got pulled over a couple months ago and for whatever reason I didn't have my most recent registration in the car, just the old one. The officer was reasonably cool about it and said if I did any online banking and I could show a payment to the insurance company, that he would accept it.

    I don't, but it may be dependent on the officer and the mood they're in.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    MR2
    Posts
    197
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    License and registration need to be original for sure. I doubt any copies at all would overlook that. Insurance apparently needs to be by law (according to an officer that pulled me over), but most cops don't care much for it. When you first sign a new policy, your sometimes given a temporary insurance paper until the original comes in the mail. That one is just as valid as the original.
    I've shown my insurance papers on my phone in PDF to many cops and they didn't mind, although some said that I should keep my papers with me as well because some cops may not be lenient.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Stampede Central
    My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'
    Posts
    2,002
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally posted by MR2-3SGTE
    I've shown my insurance papers on my phone in PDF to many cops and they didn't mind
    How often do you get pulled over?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    335d, GP2, P71
    Posts
    6,426
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Never had any problems with digital copies of my insurance. I keep my registration in each vehicle and my license on me though.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    C400
    Posts
    471
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I had a digital copy and was slapped with a nice ticket for failure to show valid insurance (Y)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    calgary ab
    My Ride
    4x4
    Posts
    2,245
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Originally posted by J-hop



    Yea I know for a fact AMA will accept digital copies of insurance when registering vehicles so one would think a police officer would too. But they may argue the law is that you must produce the papers not just prove you have them.

    As for the reg and licence I don't know. If you can provide insurance, have a valid sticker on your plate and the cop can see on his screen who the car is registered to I don't see the logic behind ticketing someone but then again I'm not a cop.

    Seems like a stupid outdated system. I hate carrying around papers with all my information on them.
    Yup for registration it's enough...

    But roadside - they want real documents, registration is also form of title - so without signature on the back accepting conditions, and proof that it hasn't been transfered - who's to say it's really yours...

    Insurance wise - think it's officers discretion, technically you need the hard copy. But many will go above and beyond so they don't have to fill out tow forms and issue 2500$ fines and let a judge sort it out.

    Digitals awesome - but easy to forge and alter, and what happens if your phones dead or you're out of a service area (or just dropped it in a puddle).

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cowtown
    My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5
    Posts
    5,851
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    Call non-emerg about this.

    I'd be curious about the answer as I had my car broken into recently where all they took was the fucking reg/insurance papers. Asked the girl at the registry if this was a common thing or what and she said it happens often (paying for replacements, not renewals).
    Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    X5-35i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab
    Posts
    717
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Like others said I think it depends on the mood of the officer.

    one time I was pulled over at a routine speed trap. I couldn't find my registration in my glove compartment. After a few mins the officer went to his car, came back and said he found my registration on the computer so he knows I'm registered, and just told to me make sure I have a copy next time.

  13. #13
    Thaco's Avatar
    Thaco is online now sucks off little boys (ya, don't fuck with rage2 bitch!!!)
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Rage2
    Posts
    3,727
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    they can and probably will ticket you, but if you go down to the courthouse and produce proof that you had valid license/reg at the time of the "offence" they'll throw it out anyway, and the cops know this, it just depends if they wanna be a dick and make you waste your time doing that.
    User title molested by Rage2.

    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not the size that matters, it's the taste it leaves in your mouth.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Unemployment Line
    My Ride
    Sierra, RDX
    Posts
    2,630
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Originally posted by Thaco
    they can and probably will ticket you, but if you go down to the courthouse and produce proof that you had valid license/reg at the time of the "offence" they'll throw it out anyway, and the cops know this, it just depends if they wanna be a dick and make you waste your time doing that.
    This would probably work for a "driving without" ticket, not a "failure to provide". Two different tickets.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    F10M/ F87/ NA2/ W220/ VOLVO V90/KTM RC390
    Posts
    5,694
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally posted by AndyL


    Yup for registration it's enough...

    But roadside - they want real documents, registration is also form of title - so without signature on the back accepting conditions, and proof that it hasn't been transfered - who's to say it's really yours...

    Insurance wise - think it's officers discretion, technically you need the hard copy. But many will go above and beyond so they don't have to fill out tow forms and issue 2500$ fines and let a judge sort it out.

    Digitals awesome - but easy to forge and alter, and what happens if your phones dead or you're out of a service area (or just dropped it in a puddle).

    THIS, I have also heard of people getting a ticket for registration slip not being signed at the back. So really, if they want to, they can throw the book at you.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    2016 Hyundai Tucson
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Why not just carry them and not worry about it?

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Ford Raptor
    Posts
    2,938
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally posted by msommers
    Call non-emerg about this.

    I'd be curious about the answer as I had my car broken into recently where all they took was the fucking reg/insurance papers. Asked the girl at the registry if this was a common thing or what and she said it happens often (paying for replacements, not renewals).
    Keep your house locked. If I were a scum bag looking for houses to do B&E's in I'd start with reg papers from cars.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Location
    YYC
    My Ride
    2 x E Class Benz
    Posts
    22,084
    Rep Power
    48

    Default

    Originally posted by Shlade
    Keep your house locked. If I were a scum bag looking for houses to do B&E's in I'd start with reg papers from cars.
    I never understood the logic behind that, unless your garage remote was stolen too. But I'm sure you would reset your opener to clear that code if that was indeed the case.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Ford Raptor
    Posts
    2,938
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally posted by rage2

    I never understood the logic behind that, unless your garage remote was stolen too. But I'm sure you would reset your opener to clear that code if that was indeed the case.
    At the end of the day locks only keep honest people out.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Calgary, ab
    My Ride
    Hemi, ZX6R
    Posts
    2,501
    Rep Power
    11

    Default Re: Do I need to provide PHYSICAL copies of my license and registration?

    Originally posted by D'z Nutz
    A

    I can't find anything that suggests they will or will not accept it.
    51(d) : drive a motor vehicle on a highway unless that personís operatorís licence is in that personís possession;

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Failure to provide registration... then found it 5 mins later.

    By chconline in forum Society / Law / Current Events / Politics
    Replies: 10
    Latest Threads: 02-23-2010, 11:41 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 07-20-2007, 03:09 AM
  3. Need advice, physical readiness for Canadian Forces

    By Vagabond142 in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 17
    Latest Threads: 06-11-2007, 07:32 PM
  4. FS: Brand New Copies of Need For Speed Most Wanted and Fifa 2006

    By alky1987 in forum Video Games / Consoles
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 12-16-2005, 10:01 PM
  5. registration...license plate question

    By GoChris in forum General Car/Bike Talk
    Replies: 3
    Latest Threads: 11-24-2004, 08:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •