Anyone been? Reviews? Saw this today:

http://dailyhive.com/calgary/sushi-b...aurant-calgary

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Looks decent.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Went there. Buffet was pretty good, lots of choices, but Sushi is all order at the table, and they deliver....maybe. We ordered a bunch of stuff, never got our Unagi at all, or makarel....luckely we were full and left...but we were there for a good hour and a half and it never came...don't know if it's they way of reducing consumption or what...but we were full already and were glad it wasn't coming anymore.

The rice wasn't right for sushi, but overall was alright. Went for lunch.

My Ride
    is Invisible

I can't remember the last time I went to a sushi a la carte restaurant and had $36.99 worth of food, just to myself.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by adidas
    I can't remember the last time I went to a sushi a la carte restaurant and had $36.99 worth of food, just to myself.
    You miss one of the points of a buffet entirely, which is variety.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by eblend
    We ordered a bunch of stuff, never got our Unagi at all, or makarel....luckely we were full and left...
    Mission accomplished.

Originally posted by adidas
    I won't mind paying that if sashimi keep coming out non-stop.

But I'm done with AYCE joints both for a) health reason and b) seeing first hand how at least 2 AYCE sushi joints operate.

My Ride
    Family Hauler

Originally posted by Xtrema

Mission accomplished.

I won't mind paying that if sashimi keep coming out non-stop.

But I'm done with AYCE joints both for a) health reason and b) seeing first hand how at least 2 AYCE sushi joints operate.
    About the last point, do tell. Although i could probably guess

My Ride
    Lease

Originally posted by riander5

About the last point, do tell. Although i could probably guess
    +1

Only thing I can think of is re-use the left overs???

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

+1

Only thing I can think of is re-use the left overs???
    1) They usually source from suppliers with products that couldn't move and is about to be chucked to save a buck. If that's not available, always get the next lowest grade.

2) re-use left over is common. I won't do AYCE lunch. They are cheap for a reason.

3) In a buffet setting where you don't see the chef, mixed contamination is common as they don't really keep the hot/cold stations separate.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Xtrema
    1) They usually source from suppliers with products that couldn't move and is about to be chucked to save a buck. If that's not available, always get the next lowest grade.

2) re-use left over is common. I won't do AYCE lunch. They are cheap for a reason.

3) In a buffet setting where you don't see the chef, mixed contamination is common as they don't really keep the hot/cold stations separate.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by jwslam

No, but if i'm throwing $50 away on a dinner, I prefer quality over quantity.

My Ride
    Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Went there last week for dinner. It was okay.

Pros:
    - Good service. The food arrived very quickly (within 10 mins ordering) and got everything we ordered. Water/Tea constantly refilled.
    - Good selection. The rolls were actually decent for AYCE (more filing than rice) and the sashimi pieces were decent size and not frozen.
    - Plenty of crab legs (and shrimps). Very good size and not overcooked. Did not have to wait in line for them at all. Definitly plentiful.
    - Love the ice cream selection. Really enjoyed the chocolate mint ice cream + the mango pudding.
    - Good variety - from dim sum (shrimp dumplings) to curry, pretty good.

Cons:
    - Because it was buffet style, alot of the food were warm to cold-ish. They weren't busy enough so everything just kind of sat there. Alot of the meat items (Teriyaki steak) and fried items (tempura) were quite dry.
    - Too expensive! We didn't know how much it cost but was expecting ~$27. The $34-37 price was definitly a shock.

Conclusion:
    We enjoyed it and it's one of the better ones imo from a sushi/sashimi/crab leg perspective, but at the end of the day it's still AYCE (quantity > quality), and disappointed with the warm/dry food in the buffet section. Would go back for <$30, but definitly not worth $37+.

Ok I don't frequent Beyond much anymore but a coworker asked me to post my thoughts of this place from my visit there last night.

1. I too was tempted to try this place based on the article from Daily Hive and the accompanying IG photos.

2. So yeah after donating platelets last night for 2 hours, I was hungry AF. Perfect time to try out this new A+ Sushi Buffet with the wife.

3. Got there at 7:30pm, and there was two parties of 3 sitting in the lobby before us. "Shelley" was the name of the girl working the front desk. Let's just say Shelley was useless. Didn't acknowledge us, didn't offer to take down our name or anything. My wife approached her and asked if we needed to put our name down. She said yes and gave us a post-it note with #30 on it. Cool. We'll wait.

4. Shelley calls out #29, the party of 3 (2 adults and a kid) stand up and get taken to their table. This is when the other party of 3 come up and are visibly upset as they're #18. WTF?!

5. Lots of people now waiting in the lobby, standing around clueless as to what to do and Shelley is still useless doing nothing. Manager comes out, basically tells Shelley to fuck off elsewhere as she starts taking down names and handing out numbers. She also gets #18 a table ASAP.

6. Looking around, there are lots of empty tables, and lots of tables that need to be cleaned up. Don't see any busboys anywhere to clear tables. Not really appetizing seeing dirty tables just sitting there.

7. We finally get a table. Sit down and our server explains that sushi/sashimi are ordered at the table and everything else is at the buffet line. Great, if only we had a writing instrument to put or sushi/sashimi order down Wife had to go to a dirty table to steal their pen.

8. We've had two plates each of the cooked buffet food by now. Almost an hour in to dinner. Still no sushi or sashimi. We ask our server for a status update. She comes back and says that there are TWENTY (20) other orders before us. SERIOUSLY!? There are only 4 sushi chefs working and they are working as fast as they can.

9. Waited some more and finally a plate of sashimi comes out. 2 pieces of surf clam, 2 pieces of red snapper and 6 pieces of salmon. All are still in a partial frozen state and very thinly sliced. Sashimi should be cut thick - like in the IG photos on the Daily Hive article. NOPE. This was nowhere close to the same cut. Worst was the salmon sashimi was basically Costco salmon as it again was nowhere close to being sushi grade (as compared to other non-AYCE sushi restaurants in town).

10. As the wait was so long, we needed to get out of there and back to our kid at home. Asked the server to cancel the remainder of our sushi/sashimi order (a couple of rolls and some hand cones were left) and asked for the bill.

11. $37 per person excluding tax and tip (which I only left 5%), and the fact that they ran out of green tea (how?), you're better off going to Zipang or Misato and getting a quality meal instead.

Verdict: A+ is more like an F-

BONUS: The same goes for Fusion Sushi in Kensington too, food was craptacular. Avoid the Tuna sushi/sashimi as it came out pure opaque white and it was served to us. That's not norma. This is two new AYCE joints that have failed the grade in my books.

-T

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Yep, avoiding this place for AT LEAST 3 months and see if they can get their shit together. Oshii certainly didn't after months, I don't expect this place to either.

Was planning to go this evening, but cancelled after reading the beyond reviews.

Hopefully it gets better i still love Oishii

AYCE in Calgary is terrible. Why not pay slightly more and get a decent sushi meal...

Not sure why people want to stuff themselves to the brim to try and get their moneys worth.

My Ride
    NC1

I haven't gone for AYCE sushi since Sushi Ginza (before Globe Fish) in Chinook Mall and that was the early 2000s
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Originally posted by Lagerstatten.ca

BONUS: The same goes for Fusion Sushi in Kensington too, food was craptacular. Avoid the Tuna sushi/sashimi as it came out pure opaque white and it was served to us. That's not norma. This is two new AYCE joints that have failed the grade in my books.

-T
    Tried this place a few weeks ago when I visited. A family member tried the downtown location and was raving it. Tried this location. No Ipad ordering system like downtown. And terrible portions. Their rolls are 90% rice, 10% filling. Never been to a AYCE this bad.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go &quot;uh huh...&quot; Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Originally posted by dj_rice

Tried this place a few weeks ago when I visited. A family member tried the downtown location and was raving it. Tried this location. No Ipad ordering system like downtown. And terrible portions. Their rolls are 90% rice, 10% filling. Never been to a AYCE this bad.
    Tried this place a week or two ago, I can confirm, the tuna comes out white... Wouldn't ever go back.

My Ride
    Ford F150

Originally posted by dj_rice

Buddy of mine just went to the downtown (4st i think?) location and was raving as well.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride

Well I'm avoiding this place.r